Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 06:24   #1

1985 Dean 356 Rudder head design

This is a long shot. I'm working on a 1985 Dean 356 for a friend. The rudder heads need to be replaced. I'm not sure if the heads that are currently on the boat are original (the port side is broken) or if they are something a previous owner cobbled together.

The attachment shows the starboard rudder head. It appears to be something someone made in the garage, but I have no insight into what the original design was. I intend to replace both with either commercial rudder heads or one's that are professionally fabricated based on commercial designs.

If anyone has any information on what the original designs were I'd appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200124_072740993.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	224717  
Ronin51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: 1985 Dean 356 Rudder head design

Man, what a mess! An insult to those of us who design and fabricate our own parts, and even sometimes while standing in the garage. You've even got mild steel exposed to seawater, and on a critical part. It looks like it was repaired and then repaired over the first repair when the original repair wasn't strong enough. You are right in starting over.

Assuming no one steps forward with the original design or a parts source:

You can use properly sized commercial fittings or design your own.

If you design your own, start with a solid ss shaft and new bearings. Have a professional weld on two parallel flanges for the rudder itself, or weld on a ss rudder, your choice. My steel rudder is both - welded to a 2" shaft, and welded to straps that surround the shaft. Make it bullet proof - your safety depends on this thing.

At the top, where you can see it if something is weakening, through bolt two flanges for the tiller. Big flanges. Through bolt the tiller in several places.

You need to bolt the top rather than weld it, or you'll have to cut the shaft to remove it sometime in the future.

Whatever your choices, start by stripping out everything, seeing the weak places, and building something stronger. Can you imagine having that thing come apart in a seaway?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:15   #3

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

Agree, take everything apart and review the rudder stock. If it is in reasonable good shape you might be able to have a marine-enabled welder (not just any welder, SS welding in a marine environment is specialized work) have it restored.

A well known and proven maker of tiller heads in Europe is Jefa, I don't know about the other side of the pond. It should look something like this:
[IMG][/IMG]
Take a look at their site for more on rudders and stuff around it.
ilCigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:05   #4

Appreciate the response tkeithlu. Yea, it is a mess and the picture is of the "good" one. After looking at a number of commercial designs I've proposed doing something similar to what you suggested. Now I'm just curious what the system looked like when it was new.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:07   #5

Thanks ilCigno. I actually used one of the Jefa designs as a model. I'm having a fabricator quote it.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:32   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin51 View Post
This is a long shot. I'm working on a 1985 Dean 356 for a friend. The rudder heads need to be replaced. I'm not sure if the heads that are currently on the boat are original (the port side is broken) or if they are something a previous owner cobbled together.

The attachment shows the starboard rudder head. It appears to be something someone made in the garage, but I have no insight into what the original design was. I intend to replace both with either commercial rudder heads or one's that are professionally fabricated based on commercial designs.

If anyone has any information on what the original designs were I'd appreciate the help.
That looks like a real rubegoldberg. If you can get to the rudder posts have a machine shop make a couple for tiller heads for you. Sketch out your idea and bring it to the machinists and they will tell you the best way to fabricate them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:19   #7

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
That looks like a real rubegoldberg. If you can get to the rudder posts have a machine shop make a couple for tiller heads for you. Sketch out your idea and bring it to the machinists and they will tell you the best way to fabricate them.
Yes, current setup is hard on the eyes. It would be interesting to see the rudder post with the tiller and clamps removed.

Tags
head, rudder