Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2022, 09:17   #1

Boat: Privilege 435
2002 Privilege 435

We purchased our 2002 privilege 435 in Grenada the end of last year. The boat had gone through a full survey and I spent three weeks in Grenada getting her ready to sail home to her new home in St Augustine Florida at the municipal marina where she is on a mooring ball today. We sailed from Grenada to St Augustine straight through and made it in 11 days. Just myself and Captain Danny Grey. The trip was wonderful up until we hit that storm the end of November coming directly out of the North. We were off Miami at the time. It was a very rough and hard journey for the next three days. Got banged about quite a bit. Ended in St Augustine the first of December to sunshine. Since that time I have been still trying to get a number of issues fixed so I have not been able to go anywhere. Had my bottom cleaned a couple of weeks ago only to have the diver tell me my starboard keel was not there. The keel had come off somewhere between Grenada and St Augustine. I am trying to find any information I can to help us get a new keel made and installed. If anyone can share any information we would really be apprecitive.
John and Shelly
jfloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 02:27   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: 2002 Privilege 435

Hi... Sorry to hear about your keel. Easiest way is probably to take the other keel off and have a mold made. Obviously it could be done with the keel in place but if it is taken off you can check the condition and make sure that one isn't about to go. You may get some info from Privilege as there was a post August 2021 by someone saying Privilege was looking to dispose of the keel molds (molds of keels for P435/p445 multihulls4us . com)

I have to say there is no way a Privilege 435 keel is falling off just through sailing through bad weather unless it was badly damaged previously. A survey should have spotted that. I sailed mine over 35,000nm, saw 65 knots of wind and pretty large waves and the only thing that damaged a keel was a rock and even then it was only damage to the lower sacrificial bit.

You are in a good place to get stuff done. St Augustine Marine did a lot of work on my boat when I was preparing for sale.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 02:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, John and Shelly.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 09:41   #4

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Hi... Sorry to hear about your keel. Easiest way is probably to take the other keel off and have a mold made. Obviously it could be done with the keel in place but if it is taken off you can check the condition and make sure that one isn't about to go. You may get some info from Privilege as there was a post August 2021 by someone saying Privilege was looking to dispose of the keel molds (molds of keels for P435/p445 multihulls4us . com)

I have to say there is no way a Privilege 435 keel is falling off just through sailing through bad weather unless it was badly damaged previously. A survey should have spotted that. I sailed mine over 35,000nm, saw 65 knots of wind and pretty large waves and the only thing that damaged a keel was a rock and even then it was only damage to the lower sacrificial bit.

You are in a good place to get stuff done. St Augustine Marine did a lot of work on my boat when I was preparing for sale.

Agree this had to be prior damage. However, surveyors cannot do destructive testing and if a structurally unsound yet cosmetically smooth repair was patched and painted over with bottom paint it could be invisible to even a great surveyor…

Not sure if privileges have cored hulls but I’d make sure hull laminate where keel was is sound so you don’t get water ingress into laminate or core as a second issue
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 10:50   #5

Boat: Privilege 435

Thank you for your information
jfloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 02:13   #6

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfloren View Post
Thank you for your information
Which hull number is it? I owned hull 23 from new, a 2002, and also know some of the history of two others from that year.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 09:28   #7

Boat: Dufour Gibsea 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfloren View Post
We purchased our 2002 privilege 435 in Grenada the end of last year. The boat had gone through a full survey
John and Shelly
I'm looking at a boat in Grenada, who did your survey and aside from the keel issue, were you happy with them?
PhillipPalacios is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege