Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2021, 12:19   #16

Boat: Leopard 45
Re: 2022 Florida to Panama

@ Du Vent, man I wish we could follow that suggestion and sail around for a while. One day we will. It's not the kid's schooling keeping us from it, actually, they were home schooled most of last year! It's the fact that my wife and I run a business that does not allow us to travel for long stints of time. We have to be present for the majority of the time here in San Diego.

Does anyone know the answer to this one: If we take ownership of our new boat in FL, leave before the temporary permit expires, then stay out of US waters for the remainder of the 1st 12 months, then would we owe sales tax in the US for the purchase of the boat?
G.Hirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 16:39   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Hirt View Post
@ Du Vent, man I wish we could follow that suggestion and sail around for a while. One day we will. It's not the kid's schooling keeping us from it, actually, they were home schooled most of last year! It's the fact that my wife and I run a business that does not allow us to travel for long stints of time. We have to be present for the majority of the time here in San Diego.

Does anyone know the answer to this one: If we take ownership of our new boat in FL, leave before the temporary permit expires, then stay out of US waters for the remainder of the 1st 12 months, then would we owe sales tax in the US for the purchase of the boat?
Likely the first State where you stay for any length of time will try and collect Sales Tax from you. In the USA it is based on individual State laws.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 16:46   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380

Since you live in California, you get to pay taxes twice :-). When you purchase the vessel in Florida (we were Florida residents last year), they will collect State "Sales" Taxes from you at the point of sale. You will need to have the boat registered in order to "check in" to the various countries on your route. Even if you register the boat with the Coast Guard, if you stay any length of time in Florida, you will need to pay for Registration in Florida.

Once you arrive with the boat in California, they will ask for the assessed value of your boat. They will deduct taxes you paid in Florida and make you pay the difference for the taxes in California. See: https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/industry/ve...de.htm#Vessels

Only one thing to be certain of, death and taxes and the California tax man commeth.

You can validate this
Amada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, Panama