Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2009, 04:49   #16

Thanks all, lots of good leads here. Hmmm, the Edel 33 looks promising.
Steve
beaucoupbateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 08:16   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Did you know that the Moxie 37 (now 39) started just as you described? It was even called the Gunboat 30something and marketed on the Gunboat web site for a while. I've sailed it. The performance is stunning. The front helm is a truly great innovation, and the bulkhead behind it blocks the wind. Spray could bea problem in a blow. With the autopilot remote you can sail from anywhere, just as most French cats are. You can buy the Moxie, or two totally loaded Geminis for the same price. I've sailed the Edel and wasn't wowed; there's just no substitute for daggerboards.

Production catamarans cover the spectrum, and still don't deliver everyone's exact dream. What are you looking for?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 14:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Did you know that the Moxie 37 (now 39) started just as you described? It was even called the Gunboat 30something and marketed on the Gunboat web site for a while. I've sailed it. The performance is stunning. The front helm is a truly great innovation, and the bulkhead behind it blocks the wind. Spray could bea problem in a blow. With the autopilot remote you can sail from anywhere, just as most French cats are. You can buy the Moxie, or two totally loaded Geminis for the same price. I've sailed the Edel and wasn't wowed; there's just no substitute for daggerboards.

Production catamarans cover the spectrum, and still don't deliver everyone's exact dream. What are you looking for?
Some good advice there Sandy. Regarding the Edel cat conclusion (there's no substitute for daggerboards) have you actually sailed an edel cat with dagger-boards to make the comparison. Or are we comparing the edelcat and the Moxie performance. For someone who generously offers so much free advice I'm surprised at the ignorance you display on this issue.
Old 02-03-2009, 16:35   #19

Sandy,
No, I didn't know that the Moxie 37/39 was originally going to be a Gunboat. I'd like to check out the latest generation Edel 33--where you did test-sail one?
Steve
beaucoupbateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:22   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nice, kitty.

No I sailed an older Edel in Miami several years ago. I WAS NOT aware of the new Edel 33. Its a good looking boat.

Yes Catty, there are arguments against daggerboards if performance is NOT a first issue.
Old 03-03-2009, 15:12   #21
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Talking about dagger boards on cats.... or no dagger boards on cats..... is almost like starting a "which anchor should I buy" thread.

Both views are valid
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:16   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You are probably right Rick. But I regret telling customers than a shoal keel was just as good to weather as high-aspect-ratio foils, when I knew it wasn't. I even talked myself into owning a decent shoal draft cat when the market couldn't offer me what I REALLY WANTED, which is to get up the downwind river in a third less tacks, and to blow past half-boat racer-cruisers to windward, purely for educational purposes....
Old 04-03-2009, 11:07   #23
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
......and to blow past half-boat racer-cruisers to windward, purely for educational purposes....
Of course...that would be very educational for those half boats
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote