Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2012, 18:10   #1

Boat: catamaran roger simpson 34
34 Roger Simpson Woodwind Cat

thought I would give everyone a mind blower; trying to redo my tillers to cable steering , I want to get rid of cross-over bar on top & it is in the way. cross-over bar goes to each tiller; I really just dont like it. I hope somebody has some ideas thanks
capt ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:48   #2

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24
Re: 34 Roger Simpson Woodwind Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt ed View Post
thought I would give everyone a mind blower; trying to redo my tillers to cable steering , I want to get rid of cross-over bar on top & it is in the way. cross-over bar goes to each tiller; I really just dont like it. I hope somebody has some ideas thanks
That's a shame to lose the link bar, it's the most reliable way to connect the 2 rudders, maybe if it's in your way you can move it. Some boats bring the link to a track on the aft beam, from here you can attach your steering cables. Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Re: 34 Roger Simpson Woodwind Cat

The options I can think of are very expensive:

Going to hydraulic actuators would allow you to use a more robust autopilot system and will only set you back about $25,000 US with installation.

Rerouting to bell cranks and a hidden cross bar would require re-engineering the Ackerman geometry, as would going to a pull-pull cable system. Without Ackerman geometry, you are guaranteed to go into irons when you tack. Another stiff price.

I owned a Simpson Wildwind 34 footer with a rack mounted outboard engine in the middle of the aft bridgedeck, and though I wanted to hang a dinghy from davits like all the other cats had. Was not to happen. Besides, there wasn't enough bouyancy aft to support the extra weight. So even if you have two engines, you would be well advised to extend the transoms if you are locked into dinghy-on-davits mode.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote