Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2015, 07:14   #61

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
35' cat for ocean crossing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I think it's a lot like the small pickups that are dying off.

Back when I bought my first car, I went with small pickup because it was the same cost as a compact car. Over time, they tried to match the full size pickups in terms of capability and bells & whistles to the point that for a small cost upgrade, you can just get the full size pickup.

I see a similar pattern with cats. Our boat was $95k new in 1995. The new ones are pushing $250k. Yes, 20yrs of inflation explains some of it but that's far more than inflation. At that price, I think a lot of people get drawn up to larger boats for a little bit more.

Another angle includes the number of larger than Mahe cats becoming available to the second hand market. And if we think a new Mahe was costly as a less than 36' cat, look at the new Gemini Legacy. IMVHO I think the Legacy is a design doomed to fail.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 07:17   #62

Re: 35' cat for ocean crossing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Another angle includes the number of larger than Mahe cats on the second hand market. And if we think a new Mahe was costly as a less than 36' cat, look at the new Gemini Legacy. IMVHO I think the Legacy is a design doomed to fail.
Its the dystopia in the yacht market in general,
....that there are a lot of older boats existing quite well, and the more boats there are the cheaper older boats become.

There may well be more money in updating/refitting older boat designs, than building a-new. Check the difference between for example a Morgan 41 OI refitted and rebuilt vs a new boat.
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 08:05   #63

Zulu, I appreciate your view, as I do that of Rabbi's post in this thread on topic. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=1824200

Definitely valid perspectives that contribute to making sense of where value is at (new vs refit, FP vs. Lagoon).
Old 16-05-2015, 08:13   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I didn't post it as I thought you may like it, I posted it because it fits into the title of this thread and hadn't been mentioned.

Seawind cats are blue water capable but are the most expensive for their size. There are multiple CF references to this.
Old 16-05-2015, 08:47   #65

To add to our understanding of Mahe galley and head size...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1431791059.403645.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	102204
2007 Mahe galley. This pic of my wife gives you scale and documents pic authenticity.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1431791177.345010.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	102205
Same boat, me standing in the shower. 6' tall. With my shoes off, my head won't touch the ceiling but I do have to mind the gap when I step through bulkheads in the hulls. I could make this work for the right price.
Old 16-05-2015, 09:35   #66

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
And if we think a new Mahe was costly as a less than 36' cat, look at the new Gemini Legacy. IMVHO I think the Legacy is a design doomed to fail.

The Mahe feels like a big boat, something I would not say about a Gemini. For us it doesn't fit.
But thats just me, the Gemini does have a sizeable following.

At the end you pick your minimum size and design features and then you just have to swallow the market price.
Where this is heading depends on tons of factors, but current new price for a similar cat is a major factor.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 18:50   #67

Have not read all post , sorry , but maybe with the US dollar high , you could look at a Lightwave 35 . Must be right up the top of best open water cruiser for size. Inside use of space is excellent , very very comfortable.
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 19:13   #68

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Have not read all post , sorry , but maybe with the US dollar high , you could look at a Lightwave 35 . Must be right up the top of best open water cruiser for size. Inside use of space is excellent , very very comfortable.
Problem. They are not built anymore. You can however build a 38 ft Lightwave.

In Australia the 38 doesn't stay on the market long.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 19:31   #69

Light wave is sweet but not feasible as most are in the wrong hemisphere
Old 16-05-2015, 23:56   #70

Quote:
To add to our understanding of Mahe galley and head size...
Attachment 102204
2007 Mahe galley. This pic of my wife gives you scale and documents pic authenticity.
Attachment 102205
Same boat, me standing in the shower. 6' tall. With my shoes off, my head won't touch the ceiling but I do have to mind the gap when I step through bulkheads in the hulls. I could make this work for the right price.
Same size as me, just I'm not that skinny
Not once has the headroom been an issue, because normally you don't stand up that straight. The bulkhead heights are similar in all comparable cats I know, but after a couple of bumps it's not an issue at all.
But I can assure you that you will bang your head dozens of times at the bimini frame. Thats the price to pay for a flush bimini on a small boat.
Old 17-05-2015, 11:58   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Same size as me, just I'm not that skinny

Not once has the headroom been an issue, because normally you don't stand up that straight. The bulkhead heights are similar in all comparable cats I know, but after a couple of bumps it's not an issue at all.

But I can assure you that you will bang your head dozens of times at the bimini frame. Thats the price to pay for a flush bimini on a small boat.

So if I get the pre Evolution Mahe, the retrofit will include flared up cockpit cover from center out. I like your boat. The Mahe is the one I keep coming back to. Do you miss the mono hull slice through the water motion when sailing?
Old 17-05-2015, 12:07   #72

I replaced the canvas bimini with a hard one plus lots of solar on top. See the bimini thread where cotemar shows his modification, mine is similar.

I never had a mono, so i can't miss anything. In fact i have never sailed on any mono smaller than a cruise ship.
Old 20-05-2015, 20:22   #73

Rabbi, ever had envy for the Evolution?

I daydream about racing my Mahe to the next port against a Leapord 38/39 and a lagoon of the same category.
Old 20-05-2015, 23:14   #74

Quote:
Rabbi, ever had envy for the Evolution?
RK,

I have never been on an Evolution model so I can only tell from the pictures on the net.

I actually completely dislike the look of the Evolution biminis. The integrated helm seat looks like a bath tub and it blocks access from cockpit to the helm.

Other than that I do like the Evolution, I think the galley layout is nice and addresses a few shortcomings that I see in the MK1 version (no place to neatly store fork & knife and little fridge / freezer space).

What I don't know is the type of wood used in the Evos. The older Mahes have real wood veneer. I think FP (like Lagoon) switched over to processed wood and glued-on edges.

The added ventilation is a bonus, but so far we can live with what is available. We almost never go into Marinas so there is always a little breeze.

Cheers,
rabbi
Old 21-05-2015, 11:42   #75

the new FP entry cat

Raising the bar quite a bit.

Tags
ocean crossing