Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2004, 10:45   #16

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Bumfuzzle - No paper charts?

What do you think of going around the world without any paper charts?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 13:37   #17

Well, they have made it all the way through the canal and I am still sitting behind my desk. They must be doing something right. Hopefully they at least have a wide scale chart and some cruising guides.

What worries me most is the signs of "blistering" they wrote about. This boat isn't old enough to have blisters without something else being wrong. Having read of a couple of delaminations on Wildcats, I and worried that their boat might fall apart on them!
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:11   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
Good Day

Hello to Mike on exposure.

Found this site from your post to me at Multihull. Looks good. I'll have to come back here. I need to get to work. Good to see more on Prouts.
Have a great day

Gary
Old 04-05-2004, 07:16   #19

Welcome Pa La O La! That makes at least three Prout owners here. And more importantly, another cruiser to share and compare with.

Woody
Old 22-05-2004, 07:50   #20

re 37

be glad to put you right on any ?s you need answering on the 37
mickym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2004, 10:43   #21

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Great, friendly exchange of information. It's nice not to see some of the mud slinging that happens elsewhere.
We were seriously looking at Prout Snoogoose when we were buying our first cruising cat - they are a great boat! We ended up with a PDQ36 because the right one surfaced for the right price at the right time. The only thing we didn't like about the used Prouts we were looking at is that they tended to be rode hard and put away wet, if you know what I mean. And since we were planning to move aboard right away, we wanted to avoid a project boat. We buddy cruised with friends on a Prout for many many miles and we all had lots of fun and equal ups and downs.

That being said, after nearly 6 happy years on our PDQ, we're expecting our first baby in (yikes) 3 1/2 weeks! We decided that we need more space for the new crew. So we've moved on to a larger cat and now the PDQ is for sale and due to our impending arrival, we have listed her below the competition, hoping to move her quickly to a new owner.

Much of her equipment is new as we have been outfitting and upgrading her. She is truly ready to cruise and very well cared for, low maintenance (as much as a boat can be), and a proven long term cruiser.

I will paste the link to the listing here, and if anyone has any questions about our boat or about PDQ's in general I would be happy to chat with you!

check out the full specs too...
http://www.authenticyachts.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&checked_boats=12070 82&slim=broker&&hosturl=authenticyachtbrokerage&&y wo=authenticyachtbrokerage&
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 11:42   #22

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: re 37

Quick query for all you Prout owners:

What is the difference between the standard Snowgoose 37, and the Snowgoose Elite?
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 13:09   #23

The basic difference is the addition of 1+ foot to the beam and widening the aft interior of each hull to make room for the double berths. They called the aft berths doubles on the original 37, but you had better be friendly and in a cool climate to use them as such.

The down side of this was a narrower space between the hulls and more interference with water passing through. Hence the Elite is probably a slower boat than the original.

Woody
Old 22-07-2004, 09:42   #24

Is that why 27 hp engine seems to be the earlier standard, and now engines appear to be abt 35hp?
Old 22-07-2004, 11:49   #25

That is probably true. Almost all of the standard 37's have about 27 hp. I think they enlarged the nacelle a bit when they increased the beam. This allows a larger engine. However, I see several elites with 27 hp engines. It was probably an option/upgrade.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:40   #26

Date for the start of the Elite

Can anyone tell me when the Snowgoose became the Snowgoose Elite? and whether the hardtop over the cockpit is available from anywhere?
Old 02-08-2004, 19:59   #27

I can't tell you a true history of the Elite. But, from my observations, the Elite must have come to pass around 1986. I think the newest snowgoose I have seen is an '85 and the oldest elite I have seen is an '86. There may have been some transition time between the two models.

As to the hard top, I have only seen two of the style I have. I have seen a couple of home made types that looked decent. I suppose the mold is collecting dust somewhere. I know the production of the 39/38 models was shifted to South Africa. I had heard that the Elite molds were sold to an Asian company. that is just a third hand rumor.

Woody
Old 03-08-2004, 09:07   #28

Difference between Elite and non-Elite

Is there any way to tell the difference externally between the Snowgoose, and the Snowgoose Elite for someone not totally familiar with these boats?

BTW I do like the look of the wheelhouse that you have on Exposure. It is the one area that I have not particularly liked on most Prouts, and in UK (with our liquid sunshine) it is an essential piece of kit - any chance of some more piccis?
Old 03-08-2004, 13:29   #29

Another difference is that the original snowgoose had rudders that extended from the deck to directly under water in a vertical line. The top of the elite rudder is below the waterline. Check out all of the sold boats shown at 2hulls. That should give you a good idea of the differences.

http://www.2hulls.com/soldcatamaran.html

I'll get around to posting more photos eventually. At the moment I am busy installing new instruments.

Woody
Old 04-08-2004, 10:57   #30

Quote:
exposure once whispered in the wind:
Another difference is that the original snowgoose had rudders that extended from the deck to directly under water in a vertical line. The top of the elite rudder is below the waterline. Woody
Thanks that was very revealing. I also notice from those photos that there is a boxy outgrowth between the hulls from the inside of each rear hull (presumably for the extra width in the rear cabin that is in the Elite and not the original)

Does anyone have copies of the interior layouts of the different versions of the Elite, and recommendations for the best version for cruising?