Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 07:54   #1

38' Corinthian Trimaran

Does anybody here now anything about this one that is for sale in FL. now?
Seems it is the marina selling it due unpaid berth. 3000 USD or highest bid

Boat for Sale: 38.5 LFT Catamaran Sailboat - Marina Sale | Powered by vFlyer
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 11:50   #2

Re: 38ft Corinthian Trimaran

I've been trying to research and for the first time ever I'm getting nothing on Corinthian Sailing Catamarans. There are lots of Corinthian 19' sailing clubs and a ton of Corinthian pontoon boats made in Tampa.
lonabishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 11:55   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: 38ft Corinthian Trimaran

I got lots of hits by googling "corinthian trimarans"
but they're all hits of others for sale.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 15:15   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
First Fiberglass Production Multihull in US

The Corinthian 41 was built from 1965 till 1983. I think 27 total were built. The original building company was called Gulf States Research and Development Corporation. In time it became Corinthian Yachts, Inc. This company sold out to the Corinthian Yachts, Inc that currently builds power cats. Here is a link with some ship building history Gulf States R. & D. Corp.

Originally Symmons Sailing, Inc out of New York, was importing Telstars 26's tris, and Iroquois 30 cats from England back in the 60's. This was the only way to get a fiberglass production multihull in the US at the time. Piver, Cross, Brown,Wharram, etc... were selling their plans and there was amateur, build your own multihull boom going on in the U.S.

"Symmons Sailing" figured there was a need for a larger multihull and they decided to commission a design to be produced here in the U.S. There is some discussion about who did what with this boat. But if you look at her carefully and look at Piver designs you see a great deal of similarity.

The story goes that C. William Lapworth of Cal Yachts, Inc started the design and at some point Ted Irwin became involved with designing the interior and the sailing rig, originally it had a Sloop setup. She was changed to the Ketch rig she carries now. During the time that Irwin was involved, Morgan consulted with Irwin on the design. It is my understanding that Piver was working for Morgan at the time. It is logical that if this is true Piver talked with Morgan.

Later I am told that Piver became very unhappy about the Corinthian design. I can imagine why, it looks like his boat. But what is definitely not his and I think a real plus for the design are the asymmetrical amas. I think they will help the boat point higher.

Irwin was a hands on designer I am told. I believe he wanted close supervision on the builds. Living in Florida, he oversaw the boats built in Tarpon Springs, where Corinthian Yachts, Inc now resides, and the original shop did. To my knowledge this is the only multihull he was associated with. At some point Symmons Sailing discontinued association with the design but she continued on.

Eventually through at least two companies before being called Corinthian Yachts, Inc, the Corinthian 41 became the first fiberglass production multihull built in the U.S.

The company was owned by Carl Vossberg.

I hope this help with some of the information you were looking for.

Pat Ross
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:04   #5

Re: 38' Corinthian Trimaran

I looked at this months ago...Big project boat!!! She is basically solid but needs everything. This is an olderboat gone to pot. If you are a dreamer with lots of $$, time, patience, no common sense, need a divorce etc..this is the boat for you. The asking price must be for the fiberglass shell (mmm..lots of resin and glass there) only. Every aspect of her needs gone through,repaired, replaced. There is another on the market for about $90000 that looks pretty good.
SeaweedSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran