Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 21:52   #1

40' Fortuna Island Spirit - Should I buy it?

I'm considering purchasing a 40' Fortuna Island Spirit catamaran. Unfortunately, I haven't found a ton of great resources on the Internet to delve into the history, performance or potential issues. Does anyone out there have personal experience with the Fortuna Island Spirit or can point me to credible sources of reviews?

I know the company went bankrupt a number of years ago, which is obviously a red flag. I'm primarily worried about bridge deck clearance for a passage and water sailing">blue water sailing?

Thank you in advance for your feedback and input, it's greatly appreciated.
mctdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:25   #2

Boat: Freedom 32
Re: 40' Fortuna Island Spirit - Should I buy it?

Hi MTCdog,
I did a delivery of a new one from South Africa up to Tortola a few years back. The origional design was a 38 and later became a 40 when they extended the sugar scoops by 2 feet. So they're 38's with a longer hull, making the inetrior is not a roomy as the leopard cats, but the space is well used. FWD bunks in the hull and huge lockers on the fwd bridgedeck.
On the whole the build was pretty good and she sailed rather well. We had quite big seas comming up from Cape Town and never had any bridgedeck slam.
I liked the gutters on the coachroof for catching rainwater.
I prefer the leopard cats for their layout and the hard top bimini, but one can only dream.
Good luck
Craig
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 16:34   #3

Search for "Island Spirit Catamaran Owners Worldwide" on Facebook and query them.

We've had a 401 for just over a year and are extremely happy with it. Very good sailing characteristics for a cat. And the low profile (compared to Lagoon/Fontaine Pajot) proved very useful in a gale last year (matched engines to wind speed and kept her pointed into the wind for 30 min as the front blew through. A FP .25 mi behind us immediately lost control and had to throw the anchor to avoid grounding.) As Craig noted, very good use of space inside.
Sthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 17:06   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Cape Town View Post
Hi MTCdog,
I did a delivery of a new one from South Africa up to Tortola a few years back. The origional design was a 38 and later became a 40 when they extended the sugar scoops by 2 feet. So they're 38's with a longer hull, making the inetrior is not a roomy as the leopard cats, but the space is well used. FWD bunks in the hull and huge lockers on the fwd bridgedeck.
On the whole the build was pretty good and she sailed rather well. We had quite big seas comming up from Cape Town and never had any bridgedeck slam.
I liked the gutters on the coachroof for catching rainwater.
I prefer the leopard cats for their layout and the hard top bimini, but one can only dream.
Good luck
Craig
The Island Spirit actually started out as a 35'er in the mid nineties then went to a 37' then 40'. I believe the length increase was all to the stern and gained no interior volume.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 03:56   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
We had spotted a 40 at key west last month nice looking boat!
Good luck i have always heard they are well made.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 07:09   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The Island Spirit actually started out as a 35'er in the mid nineties then went to a 37' then 40'. I believe the length increase was all to the stern and gained no interior volume.
While that is true, the 35' has more interior volume than our Manta 40. They are pretty roomy boats.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 08:26   #7

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
While that is true, the 35' has more interior volume than our Manta 40. They are pretty roomy boats. Mark
I agree. I am 6'7" and I've spent two weeks on one in the BVI's. Decent headroom and decent sailing for a 40' cat. Obviously it's low profile is afforded via low bridgedeck clearance. Pros and cons...pick your poison...
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:36   #8

Boat: Island Spirit 37 Kookaburra

There is an owners group on facebook with good information. I have lived on our 2001 37' since 2008 and still enjoy the boat. We do get some slamming but not significant, also they 35 & 37's a noisy boats inside due to the hull shape, there is a ledge just above the waterline that slaps. When they made it a 40' the hulls were rounded to quiet them and for more buoyancy to add hardtop & generator. ON the FB page you will see discussions about problems, they seem to be mainly with the 401 models after Fortuna sold the molds. They have a great layout, the new Leopard 39 (2010+) is the EXACT same layout! The other negative is the motors are under the aft bunks, heats up the bunk - very easy to work on the engine. Keith sv Kookaburra St Thomas
cert515 is offline   Reply With Quote