Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 07:08   #16

Re: 44-45 VS 48-50

The hardest thing about picking a boat is figuring out the true "mission statement" or "programme".

What you want, what you need and what you buy are three different things and they seem to constantly change. ... See #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, LeeV previous post and repeat.

We purchased a boat that was big, fast and very capable and able to RTW (ultimate goal) for a family of 6-8 in relative ease and comfort. But with teenagers still at home we found ourselves more constrained than we originally thought ...

So we settled for some short trips to the Bahamas during spring break and the summer all of which could have been accomplished on a smaller easier to manage and MUCH less expensive boat ...

Even though a RTW cruise at this time is not feasible, we did manage to get out and had a great time and all have some very unique and precious memories gained from the experience.

All that being said. For a RTW trip, I would definitely hold out for the bigger boat.
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:03   #17

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandu View Post
The hardest thing about picking a boat is figuring out the true "mission statement" or "programme".

---------------------------------snip------------------------------------

We purchased a boat that was big, fast and very capable and able to RTW (ultimate goal) for a family of 6-8 in relative ease and comfort. But with teenagers still at home we found ourselves more constrained than we originally thought ...
----------------------------more snip-----------------------------------------------

All that being said. For a RTW trip, I would definitely hold out for the bigger boat.
Was that an Outremer or Catana? 51 perhaps?

The final caveat is of course $$. If you have plenty, then buying large up front and realizing down the road that you may never fully utilize the potential of the boat it's no big deal. If you're saving, saving, saving you may not want to go that large (like me!) only because I can't afford to change horses down the stream (as it were!). BTW....if I could afford it, I'd def go bigger!

Lee
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:13   #18

Looked at Catana 47 and Outremer 51 too small. Looked at other brands also in the 47-58' range. Some had enough space, some not suitable for RTW, some were too big. We really liked the Catana 52 (great fit) but we ended up with a DH 550 due to price/performance/availability/timing ... etc.

If it were just the "Admiral" and I, a 43-47' boat would be just about perfect ... an outremer 51 would be top of the list.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:29   #19

Looked at Catana 47 and Outremer 51 too small. Looked at other brands also in the 47-58' range. Some had enough space, some not suitable for RTW, some were too big. We really liked the Catana 52 (great fit) but we ended up with a DH 550 due to price/performance/availability/timing ... etc.

If it were just the "Admiral" and I, a 43-47' boat would be just about perfect ... an outremer 51 would be top of the list.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:45   #20

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Great boat! He's a great designer and was easy to reach and chat with when I tried several years ago. Love to find one of those here for a good price!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote