Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2018, 10:14   #106

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: 44 Helia "sunk" in the Atlantic

Perhaps fairhaven is ill equipped to haul more modern boats. In the Caribbean the marinas haul cored boats all day every .
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 10:27   #107

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

When I was doing the refit on Exit Only, I saw a 42 foot catamaran in the travel lift sling being pressure washed. I walked over to the cat, and I noted that there was a 4 foot by 4 foot section of the hull oil-canned inward about ten feet back from the stern. I assumed that the boat had a structural problem that required the boat to be hauled to sort out the "hull problem."

It turned out I was wrong. It was simply "improper placement" of lifting straps that caused the large section of hull to deflect inward for three or four inches.

It blew my mind seeing the hull distortion in the travel lift, and I immediately thought of the storms at sea that I have gone through in Exit Only. It would freak me out to be in a catamaran that had that amount to hull deflection if I was in a storm at sea.

As far as I am concerned, the fancy 42 foot catamaran was not designed for offshore sailing - at least not in my sailing world.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 10:28   #108

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Perhaps fairhaven is ill equipped to haul more modern boats. In the Caribbean the marinas haul cored boats all day every .
I cannot speak for Fairhaven. It is one of the best shipyards for commercial fishing boats, ferries and yachts on the east coast but who knows, it just might think twice to haul another ‘Ferrari’ .
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 10:38   #109
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
If anybody doubts what I described happened, call Fairhaven Shipyards in Fairhaven MA who had to make the repairs caused by their lifting straps when the boat was hauled for other repairs. This event happened about 6-7 years ago.
Hello Fairhaven Shipyard, did your travel lift straps damage a catamaran six or seven years ago? .... Ok I see. It was the catamarans fault....I am not saying that you had positioned the straps wrong, but did you?
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 12:51   #110

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

wait... is it a mono vs cat discussion again?

thanks, I'm gone.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 14:57   #111

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I cannot speak for Fairhaven. It is one of the best shipyards for commercial fishing boats, ferries and yachts on the east coast but who knows, it just might think twice to haul another ‘Ferrari’ .
Last comment from me on this strain . When you mentioned ot was a northern yard on the east coast I did wonder if they were more used to more traditionally constructed boats . Not a dig at Fairhaven just an observation .
All shorts of objercts have lift points and areas that cannot take load , the hood of a car or truck for instance . It is called engineering .
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 18:03   #112

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
We had our Catana 48 hauled at Fairhaven quite a few years ago and we were happy with their care and attention. But as has been pointed out, their bread and butter is big steel hulled work boats.

I will point out that I always worked closely with whatever yard I was using when hauling any of the boats I had. No-one knows better than you where the bulkheads are, where the transducers are and where the saildrives or shafts are! For all the boats I've had, both mono-hulls and multihulls, I've always made sure to put the lift straps on a bulkhead, and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the standard manufacturers advice as well.

Also, I don't think it makes sense to extrapolate the ability to resist the compression loads of a lifting strap in the middle of a panel to sea-worthiness. That is a very different set of forces than you get sailing even in extreme conditions. Sure you can build a boat so that you could lift it anywhere, but particularly for multi-hulls where weight correlates inversely with performance, that is not a choice that I would make.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 20:36   #113

Boat: LAGOON 400

'respectful' sydney city yard put my boat on desk, like in some yard in china, and not even where bulkheads are.

Looks like 'catamaran hate' played part as every service they provided was even less than mediocre. However luckily no damage.

what a bunch of losers.

At least i know my boat is built wery well.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 21:19   #114

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Great! Yet another good reason to get an overbuilt condomaran.👍 So that owners who don't know where their structural bulkheads are can haul out at yards who have never hauled a cat before. Surprised I have never seen that feature in the conomaran marketing brochures...yet. 😉

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 23:41   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Great! Yet another good reason to get an overbuilt condomaran.👍 So that owners who don't know where their structural bulkheads are can haul out at yards who have never hauled a cat before. Surprised I have never seen that feature in the conomaran marketing brochures...yet. 😉

hope you enjoying your new cat. I do enjoy mine very much.
Old 16-09-2018, 05:17   #116

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Not just yet, but looking forward to it. And maybe sailing around the harbour together sometime?

BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 16:13   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Not just yet, but looking forward to it. And maybe sailing around the harbour together sometime?

Sure. Although I don't sail in harbour. Outside is much more fun and no crowd.
Old 16-09-2018, 17:28   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
When I was doing the refit on Exit Only, I saw a 42 foot catamaran in the travel lift sling being pressure washed. I walked over to the cat, and I noted that there was a 4 foot by 4 foot section of the hull oil-canned inward about ten feet back from the stern. I assumed that the boat had a structural problem that required the boat to be hauled to sort out the "hull problem."

It turned out I was wrong. It was simply "improper placement" of lifting straps that caused the large section of hull to deflect inward for three or four inches.

It blew my mind seeing the hull distortion in the travel lift, and I immediately thought of the storms at sea that I have gone through in Exit Only. It would freak me out to be in a catamaran that had that amount to hull deflection if I was in a storm at sea.

As far as I am concerned, the fancy 42 foot catamaran was not designed for offshore sailing - at least not in my sailing world.
Find a storm at sea that puts a multi-ton compression load on a single point and I'll show you something to be concerned about. You lift a catamaran in the wrong spot you're going to break something, just like if you tried to lift a monohull by the keel. It has absolutely zero to do with safety at sea or the ability of the boat to withstand a storm.
Most of us who aren't doctors avoid opining on brain surgery, and even though I'm an engineer I don't try to armchair quarterback bridge failures since I don't have much civil engineering background. Probably something for those who haven't taken at least a basic level statics and strengths course and have some background in fiberglass design and use to consider before pontificating on the fiberglass engineering on boats!
14murs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 06:52   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have seen many cats with hulls so thin for weight that they were easil sprung by hand force or casual contact with the dock. I think I’ll stick with my 1-1/2 inch thick solid glass and Kevlar 40 ton Nicholson.

Glad the outcome is without crew loss.
uhuh. sure. Try hitting a 40 ft container at speed and see how that holds up. It won't.
az_r2d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 09:05   #120

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

I was able to track down the owner of the vessel and confirmed via email the breach was the starboard hull escape hatch. The boat was a 2015 FP Helia hull #105 named Marita (originally name Sputi). Boat was insured. This is the email he sent to me.
Thank you for the Mail, yes my Boat was a owners version, just like the boat on your picture. And i am very sorry for my boat, it vas very well equipped.
Our leak come in the same hatch in starboard hull, i was not able to see if the hatch was there, or the glas was missing, becaus heavy seas and IT was dark, i try to fix the leaking with pillows from the saloon, but the hole was to big and the seas was to heavy, the water come in wery fast.

I strongly recommend any boat with this escape hatch near water level look at a restraint on the lens of hatch which will keep it from falling out the frame. My solution are these acrylic blocks welded to the lens in the upper corners with solvent glue. The aluminum bar is across the edge of the frame of the hatch. Hatch is still full functional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch bars.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	177494  
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote