Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 09:40   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42
73 Year-Old Wants an F-24

So my 73 year old step-dad wants to buy a F-24. Is there anyone on this forum that is approx that old and sailing a boat like this? We are worried about the usual stuff, that he would not be able to get the boat back into the slip or the boat would prove to be too much for him once again and then has to sell, usually at a loss. The boat would be kept in a slip in Seattle (Shileshole). I understand you don't know the whole situation or him but I am looking for ammunition to HELP him. See my mother is dead set against the idea. I want him to be happy. He needs a boat. I want him to have a boat. Is the F-24 a good boat for a older guy that might have to singlehand it? I helped him on his F-31` and I race monhulls so I have an inkling of what is entailed in sailing a boat. I have never been on a F-24. Cool looking little boat. Half of me wants him to get it so I can play around with it and maybe race it.
He has some balance and slight mobility issues. He is somewhat overweight (5'9" and 220 pounds) but still active. Works out everyday etc. He owned a F-31 about 5 years ago and was just not able to handle it anymore without help. He has sailed and raced most of his life. Currently my mother works fulltime and he is at the house just puttering around. He has owned 4 boats in the past 8 years. All have proven to be too much or too tippy: the aforementioned F-31, a Gemini 33', Ranger 21 or 20 I forgot, Hirondelle catamaran (I thought that one would stick but my mother did not like it).
Thoughts?
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 10:00   #2

Boat: Cape Dory
Cool boat. If he has owned an F-31, I am sure he has plenty of information to make the decision. I don't think the f-24 will heel any less, but the move from one side of the cockpit to the other is pretty short (I expect he won't be sailing it from out on the wings though). Why does *he* think this will be a more easy for him to handle? What could be better than having an aging parent who is still aspiring to new excitement? I wouldn't mess with that.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 10:06   #3

Oh I am not messing with it. My wife and I along with our sailing friends are encouraging him. Problem is his wife. She is afraid of him getting hurt, lost, killed, all that. She just lets her imagination run wild. I think the F-24 might be too open (he gets cold fast) and too hard to handle. Dunno? I do know the F-31 was a beast of a boat. HUGE main. That thing would sail down the causeway with no sails up. Had to run the engine in reverse sometimes. You could get in trouble with that boat. F-24 not so sure.
He thinks the 24 is small and therefore easier too handle. I am sure that he is correct on some levels. Docking the tri can be a challenge. You have to bound over the tramps and get on the dock. He can do that but slowly.
Just looking for reasons TO get this boat. Show it to his wife. That type of stuff.
Plenty of people tell you what you cannot do!
Old 21-01-2011, 10:22   #4

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
I think this F-24 could suit this active OAP, just make life and boat handling easy / easier for him if he singlehands by running all control lines back to the cockpit, have the main on roller bearing mast fittings and equipped with single-line reefing and have a furling jib fitted. No easy idea on docking except to leave the centreboard down to avoid drifting sideways.
Good luck!
Old 21-01-2011, 10:31   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I took my parents sailing on my Stiletto 27 (similar cat) when they were older than that, and I believe either could have handled the boat. If anything, the F-24 is more tame. With his sailing resume', he should know the rules and can judge for himself.

I assume it has either a halyard winch or a 2:1 halyard. That is the only strength part. Skip the spinakar, if there are balance issues.

And damn anyone who gets in my way when I am 73. Let me do what I like. I'll have earned the right.
Old 21-01-2011, 10:32   #6

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 21-01-2011, 11:17   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Hooked,

Well, I am a 73 YO guy double handing a fairly racy 46 foot mono, along with my 71 YO wife, full time cruising. Don't have the weight problem, but sure ain't as quick on my feet as I used to be! I have no experience on little Trimarans, but crikeys, who else besides your dad can decide what he should attempt? It's his life, his money and his future in an assisted living place that he's trying to put off as long as possible.

I say stand back and let him decide... he has to live with his disgruntled wife if that's the way it turns out.

Very best of luck to him, and to you.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
Old 21-01-2011, 11:22   #8

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage
Go for it. He still has the F31? the 24 will ljust be a bit smaller. He can do a few things to make his wife a little calmer and I 'll bet he knows allof them. I still own a 37ft lightweight Crother. Bit of a handfull to get in a slip, buty mostly because it is not the most convient rigged for outboard motor control. I'm 81. So - if he feels up to it, go for it.
jannpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 11:36   #9
cruiser

btw: the title of this thread seems a bit misleading... I thought your dad was looking for a hookup with a 24 year old female... hehehehe

go for it dad!!!

(Imagining a dog running after a mail truck down the street)
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 11:44   #10

Let him do it. He's the only one who can really judge his abilities. My dad after triple bypass heart surgery at 74 still is active as he ever was. About the same weight etc. He knows when he needs to slow down and stop and what his capabilities are. Older people who just sit inside die! Staying active is the best medicine for anyone.
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 11:57   #11

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
I wouldn't even THINK about interfering in my healthy septuagenarian father's decisions.
He'd STILL kick my ass.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote