Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2018, 07:29   #1

Boat: Hobie 16
A couple of questions on osmosis and buying a boat

How worried should one be about osmosis/boat pox on a 12 year old catamaran?
Let's say that you are looking at a 12 year old boat that's sitting on the hard for months. Everything checks out. You put her in the water an go for a test sail and everything is good. Do you then haul her back out to check for osmosis - would it even show up having been in the water for a day or two?
pillars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:52   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: A couple of questions on osmosis and buying a boat

No they would not.

No boat ever sank from blisters. Don’t worry about it on that boat if the bottom looks good when hauled.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:26   #3

Your surveyor should be able to identify any serious osmosis related issues like delamination.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 13:31   #4

Buy a boat built of epoxy.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:24   #5

There are some models, which are prone to heavy osmosis. You will find them very quickly with google. I would check that before buying.
Segelschulzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:29   #6

Boat: Taswell 43

Also know that the gelcoat does ..."wear out", and at some point in the boat's life the bottom will need to be stripped, refeathered, and re-sealed(based on advice from a F/G professional). Our boat was built in 1989, we had numerous small, shallow blisters every time we hauled. We took the pro's advice, had the bottom stripped and resealed, and have not had a blister issue since-now going on 10 years.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:08   #7

Boat: Moana 33

I'm no expert but I do know osmosis will not show up after days in the water if it wasn't visible before launch. A good surveyor will check the hull (and the deck - even more prone to water intrusion into the core and just as costly to repair) with a moisture meter and tell you if the readings are even or localised; he'll know roughly what the readings should be on a hull depending on the time it's been out of the water. Just remember - not all surveyors are so knowledgable or reliable, so find a good one.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:36   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Some Cats are cored hulls. So hull below waterline could be cored as well. Blisters on cored hull can be worse than a non cored hull because the laminates are so thin. A non cored hull is a lot thicker.

No boat ever sank from blisters but any boat that is cored below the waterline, like J/boats for example, have to really be checked for delamination and any water instrusion.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:46   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If they were not there previously, after 12 yrs., a couple of days in the water isn't going to cause them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 14:48   #10

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillars View Post
How worried should one be about osmosis/boat pox on a 12 year old catamaran?
Let's say that you are looking at a 12 year old boat that's sitting on the hard for months. Everything checks out. You put her in the water an go for a test sail and everything is good. Do you then haul her back out to check for osmosis - would it even show up having been in the water for a day or two?
A 12 year old boat either has osmosis or not. 2 days in the water don't change anything.

What catamaran are we talking about?
The ones one can read about are Foutaine Pajots of certain model years. For example we had a late 2006 Mahe, which had been treated in 2009 IIRC and she was doing well when we sold her. I never really figured out if/when FP finally found a solution for the problem (other than fixing under warranty).

For Lagoon, Leopard, Privilege I never heard of particular problems with osmosis.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:52   #11

Boat: Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtBroker View Post
Some Cats are cored hulls. So hull below waterline could be cored as well. Blisters on cored hull can be worse than a non cored hull because the laminates are so thin. A non cored hull is a lot thicker.

No boat ever sank from blisters but any boat that is cored below the waterline, like J/boats for example, have to really be checked for delamination and any water instrusion.
I have never witnessed enough water asbsorbtion from blisters to soak a cored Jboat that caused delamination of coring and skin, but I have repaired some core in the hull under the floor that was from screwing things into the hull and not sealing them with anything, and badly sealed through hulls. Blisters are a gel coat problem that needs to be looked after, usually sooner than later but as they said they never sank a boat just a boat sale.
Rumlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:57   #12

What brand model and year cat are you looking at?
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:13   #13

If it had blisters they would either be evident sitting in the yard, or may have been filled and painted over so you wont know.
I always assume when someone advertises "new bottom and barrier coat" that it's a blister boat until proven otherwise. Or even if it just happens to have new bottom paint, you need to delve into it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 18:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlater View Post
I have never witnessed enough water asbsorbtion from blisters to soak a cored Jboat that caused delamination of coring and skin, but I have repaired some core in the hull under the floor that was from screwing things into the hull and not sealing them with anything, and badly sealed through hulls. Blisters are a gel coat problem that needs to be looked after, usually sooner than later but as they said they never sank a boat just a boat sale.
What the core material is can matter. All the southern cross boats are cored, but it is with a closed cell material, so water intrusion at one point will not spread( at least not through the coring)
gdecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 20:16   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlater View Post
I have never witnessed enough water asbsorbtion from blisters to soak a cored Jboat that caused delamination of coring and skin,
in 4,586 surveys I've seen dozens of them.

Tags
boat, buying, osmosis