Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2009, 19:12   #1

A Rant About Brokers

This is a rant, therefore by definition an emotional outburst and so can be ignored by those who are above the fray and not prone to such. Therefore if you continue reading you may be offended.
To the moderators: if this is inappropriate content or should be moved somewhere feel free to censor it in whatever manner you feel appropriate I will not be offended.

Before I offend everyone let me say that some brokers, maybe even most brokers are wonderful hardworking people who will no doubt get a better seat in heaven than I will, BUT then there are the others.
Over the last couple of months I have walked around in the rain for more than an hour, (without rain gear I might add) after driving more than a hundred miles, while the listing broker (I stress the LISTING broker) changed the location of the boat 6 different times. No I am not exagerating I have co-oberating witnesses. This is the guy who took the pictures that were posted on yachtworld that had me make the appointment in the first place. Yes I had an appointment made several days previous and the broker didn't want to show up. He had the key hidden on board- so in addition we could have stolen everything that wasn't nailed down.
Which brings me to pictures. We are talking about investments in the range of a quarter to more than a million dollars. Does anyone really think that a sink full of dirty dishes, unmade beds, an unflushed head or a collection of cigarette butts adds to the the charm of a boat. I know that a scrupulously cleaned galley and a couple of wine glasses glinting on the table is staged but it is more likely to make me take a picture seriously than a heap of dirty clothes. I don't know exactly what brokers are making these days but it has got to be enough to justify smoothing a bed cover or maybe even doing the dishes.
And now for my latest annoyance. The listing broker is cruising - more power to him - but no one in his office (and this is not a mom and pop opperation) knows anything about the boat or even which marina it is in.
These are just the highlights. The list doesn't include, not showing up for appointments, not calling to chage appointments, not returning calls or emails, not calling the harbor master to enable access, lying about other offers comming in, and of course the jump on a plane and make an offer pressure plays that almost guarantee that, I at least will not only not jump on a plane or make an offer.
In summary: again let me say that I know there are good, proffessional and decent brokers out there and to you my hat is off. To the others
let me give this advice.
While it is true that we buyers probably do not have the same level of experience or knowledge of boats and boating as you do WE ARE NOT STUPID. Except in very rare circumstances if you are smart enough to make and save a half a million dollars you are smart enough to know that there is a recession on and that it is a buyers market. We didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday and have a reasonable ability to know ******** when it is being poured over our heads. You are not selling used cars to teenagers. For God's sake be professional. Be prompt, know your product, answer your correspondance. For those good brokers out there, find these other guys and return them to the food chain. They are giving you a bad name.
I feel better thank you for allowing me to vent.
sk
shawnkillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 19:32   #2

Boat: Hunter 34 - Rapid Transit
Well put.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 21:36   #3

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
maybe even most brokers are wonderful hardworking people who will no doubt get a better seat in heaven than I will
Hahahaha, buddy there are quite a few people with better seats than me. I mean, I am in the peanut section... But I'm pretty sure there are some brokers there with me.

I personally dislike brokers. To me they seem like yuppie car salesmen. Maybe because I'm young, or maybe 'cause I bought my boat from a "yacht" brokerage and it was one of their "lower end" boats, but they came off like they thought they're too good to even be talking to me. They still give ya the same story: Owned by a little ol' lady who only drove it to church and back on Sundays. Only, if you didn't buy into their story, it was your problem not theirs.

I mean, besides, have you guys ever even seen little ol ladies drivin? THEY SUCK.

Cheers

Bill
Old 13-01-2009, 22:00   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Care to save the rest of us from wandering into theas pros?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 22:12   #5

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
I'm sure Shawn will share but...

Quote:
Care to save the rest of us from wandering into theas pros?
not me. My boat just happens to be in the brokerage garage for winter storage at the moment. I would hate for there to be any "accidents." Ask me again end of April.

Cheers

Bill
Old 14-01-2009, 18:51   #6

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
I've had a bit of this treatment as well. Every time I get the same thought -> I wish I had contact information for the owner so I could tell them that a potential buyer stood on the dock and their rep didn't show up.

Anyone know how to find the owner of a boat given boat name and type?
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 18:59   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
Yep and then you meat a broker who is a sailor experienced almost makes everyone happy settles the deal and is unemployed I Can't figure out.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 19:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
I've had a bit of this treatment as well. Every time I get the same thought -> I wish I had contact information for the owner so I could tell them that a potential buyer stood on the dock and their rep didn't show up.

Anyone know how to find the owner of a boat given boat name and type?
I couldn't agree more, but at least from the photograph standpoint you would think that these people would at least look at the listing on yachtworld. Are there that many people out there who are so wealthy that they do not care what a broker is doing, or is it once they have signed the listing agreement there is nothing they can do.
sk
Old 14-01-2009, 19:32   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I was a little put out when a broker wouldn't list my old boat.

After dropping 6 figures on a new (to me) catamaran my broker would not help sell my old boat. Granted it is older (1979 Stiletto cat), but it is in very good condition, just painted and re-fitted, and worth ~ 15K. I would have thought honor would have prevailed.
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 19:48   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Before I offend everyone let me say that some brokers, maybe even most brokers are wonderful hardworking people who will no doubt get a better seat in heaven than I will, BUT then there are the others.
20% of all brokers sell 80% of all boats. Guess which part are the good ones. It's the same with Realtors. It's hard work selling for a living. You'll find hard working people generally are more likable. They know what they are doing and why. You don't need to guess because it's obvious. It's a lot easier to be nice when you know what you are doing. It means you have the time to be nice.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 20:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
20% of all brokers sell 80% of all boats. Guess which part are the good ones. It's the same with Realtors. It's hard work selling for a living. You'll find hard working people generally are more likable. They know what they are doing and why. You don't need to guess because it's obvious. It's a lot easier to be nice when you know what you are doing. It means you have the time to be nice.
Selling for a living is very hard work. Unfortunately it is very hard to find the right broker whether it is in real estate or boats. Everyone I know has bought and sold houses so one can ask for recomendations. No one I know has bought or sold a boat. Add the international aspect and so how does one find the perfect broker?
sk
Old 14-01-2009, 20:37   #12

Boat: PETERSON 44
I still think were I to look again I would find the perfect surveyor first.
Seems A little butt over tea kettle but can't see why thats not sound thinking.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 20:51   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Add the international aspect and so how does one find the perfect broker?
You are not buying the broker. The boat you take home and the broker stays at the office. Odds are the boat you buy will be from one of the good brokers since they sell 80% of the boats. It's the boats you don't buy that have the problem.

The only real thing you have to have is the homework. You need to know what the second best boat you can buy is. It means you know there is a better boat if the true love does not stick (or your wife catches you).

Surveyors are not so hard. You need a person to show up in a specific place on a date certain. So you find the perfect broker and surveyor only to find out they can't do it this month or the owner is a jerk.

At the end of the survey all you have is a decent estimate by someone trained that spent almost a day looking and poking. They don't have X-Ray vision and you probably gave a little to get a lot (or less) and close the deal. If you require the perfect boat with the perfect deal you could be disappointed
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 21:09   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
it gets worse all the time

a buddy of mine recently drove from San Francisco to San Diego--seven hours one way--to view a boat by appointment WITH THE LISTING BROKER, only to discover that the boat had been sold 72 hours prior to his leaving San Francisco.
Old 14-01-2009, 21:14   #15

Since I am currently in the market for a yacht, I've come across both of these types. One of the brokers I dealt with only had 1 picture of the boat from the outside as if he just cruised by in his dingy and took a shot for fun and giggles. Then when I asked for more photos of both inside and out, it took him FOREVER to get the shots. I mean, COME ON, this is for the broker in the long run if he is truly selling the yacht. Don't do it just to make me happy!!

Most of the stuff that irks me should be basic common sense and common/professional courtesy!! It doesn't take that long to reply to a voice mail or e-mail!! I don't think anyone appreciates weeks of dead space and silence!!

Then I've dealt with excellent brokers that bent over backwards only to get screwed from the boat owners.

Oh well, it takes all types I guess!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat broker