Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2008, 03:43   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
A suggestion

Is it possible to maybe split the multihull forum into a few areas, one being Boat reviews, thus people can search on and add to boat reviews - I notice we regularly get the similar sort of questions, it would be nice to have an open ongoing set of threads that dealt with a specific boat?

Another area could be multi sailing tips tricks tuning etc

and too keep some of the weird recalcitrant types happy we could have a monohullers please come here and tell us why multis are rubbish area.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 03:59   #2

Quote:
and too keep some of the weird recalcitrant types happy we could have a monohullers please come here and tell us why multis are rubbish area.

dont stir the pot! keep it positive. We have an imbalance on some subjects already.

I am actually serious about this. The discussion has got to a stage a few times where it has been counter productive. Ruffled feathers are fine but wings torn off is a different matter.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 07:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Is it possible to maybe split the multihull forum into a few areas, one being Boat reviews, thus people can search on and add to boat reviews - I notice we regularly get the similar sort of questions, it would be nice to have an open ongoing set of threads that dealt with a specific boat?

Another area could be multi sailing tips tricks tuning etc
What a great idea
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 12:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
OK, we will look into that for you. Standby. umm..maybe sit, or go on about your usual work, this may take longer than you would wish to stand :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 19:30   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
recalcitrant....... stubbornly resisting authority or control; not obedient or compliant; refractory. hard to deal with, manage, or operate.

.....and damn proud if it.

More board demerits. I wonder what my counts up to now.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 05:40   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post

dont stir the pot! keep it positive. We have an imbalance on some subjects already.

I am actually serious about this. The discussion has got to a stage a few times where it has been counter productive. Ruffled feathers are fine but wings torn off is a different matter.
I'm serious about it as well, rather than have every single thread degenerate into a attack session, with luck we can contain all the arguments for and aganist in one area, so that when a Glutenschnapel 46 thread is disucussing that design and some one comes in and says "but you should get a good ketch instead" that post can be immediately deleted and that line of argument moved to the multi mono comparison are.

Some of my colleagues and I get whole heartedly sick of having the same untruths spread on every single thread in the multi area, it would be nice to explore a design or explore discussions regarding sailing technique without getting hived off into the the half boat/multi argument every time. God knows I have received a few PMs from people who say they are not going to come here anymore cause they dont want to be told their boat is rubbish all the time.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 07:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
[1]... so that when a Glutenschnapel 46 thread is disucussing that design and some one comes in and says "but you should get a good ketch instead" that post can be immediately deleted and that line of argument moved to the multi mono comparison are.

[2] Some of my colleagues and I get whole heartedly sick of having the same [3] untruths spread on every single thread in the multi area, it would be nice to explore a design or explore discussions regarding sailing technique without getting hived off into the half boat/multi argument every time. God knows I have received a few PMs from people who say they are not going to come here anymore cause they dont want to be told their boat is rubbish all the time.
Anyone is free to open a thread, specific to any brand (Glutenschnapel 46). Anyone else is also free to add comments to that thread. Those comments should be, at least loosely, related to the subject; but the management team cannot police every off-topic posting. Should any posting be egregiously off-topic or inappropriate, we will take action, when we become aware of such offense.

[2] Should I understand that my (or anyone else’s) opinion is only welcome, in your world, when it complements yours?
The management team will not police politely submitted opinions, no matter how offensive some over-sensitive souls may find those alternative viewpoints.

[3] Neither can we police “facts”, except in providing our own (more accurate?) personal countervailing opinions.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 12:18   #8

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I see this as solely question of bulletin board organization, can a broad section have different subsections defined to organize those threads, making it easier to locate and discuss a specific topics
/multihulls
//boat reviews & comparisons
//owners groups
//seamanship
//general

Frankly, I wouldn't even keep mono vs multi in the multihull or monohull forums as I think it would be better suited to the generic sailing forum.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 12:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We are still discussing the original question. Give us another 24hr tps and we will have an firm answer. That's the problem when one side of the world sleeps while the other works.
Quote:
rather than have every single thread degenerate into a attack session,
Quote:
Some of my colleagues and I get whole heartedly sick of having the same untruths
A bit exagerated I think. The Mod team has come to the conclusion that only three members seem to be the issue and since we have kept a firmer hand on things, we don't have the issues so much.

Old 21-05-2008, 12:28   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
better suited to the generic sailing forum.
I notice some strange titles of posts end up there. Maybe it is an english to english thing. But general sailing is about Sailing. You know, all the issues of making the boat go through the water by using those rags up a pole. Like how do I get the right shape in my sail etc. Not about boat design. That is why many posts that originate in their end up being moved to a topic heading in regards to the boat design.

Old 21-05-2008, 12:31   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Like me ol' pappy told me. Sometimes it is best to say nothing than to open your piehole, and remove all doubt that you are an idiot.

If someone proves to open their mouth with idiotic statements. You can simply ignore them, or meet them after school in the yard.........LOLOLOLOL

Actually in these little tussles of knowledge, or lack of knowledge. There is usually something to learn. If you know exactly what you, and your vessel is capable of, then it's a matter of sticks & stones may hurt, but names never will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am all for keeping it as it is................
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 12:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

[2] Should I understand that my (or anyone else’s) opinion is only welcome, in your world, when it complements yours?
There you go again Gord. Starting trouble.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 13:16   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Unfortunately I have no "colleagues" to speak on behalf of

But FWIW, it never occurred to me that CF.com was about any one type of boat - but instead was about a subject - and I just viewed the seperate Mono and Multi sections as an administrative conveniance with no more significance than the sections marked Navigation and Woman Afloat.....boy did I learn differently

Although I think Factor's idea is a good one to capture FAQ on specific vessels (and is applicable to Mono's as well as Multi's) - I would favour a seperate section titled Boat Reviews, with, say, a sticky post written by an owner (and links to various external websites?) and with subsequent discussions and add info under, otherwise it seems a tad divisive to create a defacto seperate forum.

On "multi sailing tips tricks tuning" no reason why this could not also be sticky post with general advice, and discussion under - located in the Seamanship & Boat handling section.

However, I am all in favour of a seperate section for Women Afloat on Catamarans. Mmmmmmmmmm.....Catwoman

Whilst we are suggesting new sub forums, how about one titled "Hopefully one day, but at the moment don't actually want to sail off into the WBY on the "big one" - but in the meantime love learning stuff that would be useful, swapping a few experiances and shooting da sh#t with folk about boats in general"...errrr??.....dot com?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 14:20   #14

I would be happy seeing reviews being kept separate as they are much like "Which is the better car for me a Ford XX or a Honda YY?" - perhaps of main interest to those making the same decision for the same reasons or are interested in different marks of production boats but not adding much to the general knowledge.

On the point of separating out posts making what are non politically correct claims in the eyes of some multihull owners I would have no problem with that myself as long as the posts made by overly sensitive multihullers were similarly sidelined to their own place where they can also be ignored. Decison to sideline in both cases purely a moderators' decision - got to keep them in work .

On that point, while I do not read every thread, in the littlish time I have been here I have not seen anyone make an "idiotic claim" regarding multihulls such as the "buy a ketch" example given. Note I am not saying they have not or did not occur but only that it doesn't seem to be a real matter now. I have seen people give their genuine views, to which one assumes that they are entitled, in some cases from a position of knowledge but just been shouted down by a few.

If "idiotic claims" appear I suggest that knowledgeable multihullers would not let them worry them, just as in the same way as on computer related forums computer professionals just ignore responses regarding a PC problem query along the lines of "Buy a Mac" or, indeed, just as knowledgeable monohullers ignore as silly a response along the line of "Buy a monohull" in response to a cat owner's post.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 17:39   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The whole idea of a forum is to discuss ideas and opinions and to share valid information in at least a semi-orderly fashion. Also for the owner to make some money through advertising...but that is besides the point.

In my opinion, crossing the line only occurs when someone personally attacks another person. Given that, I would hate to see the mods have to step in and take action against people who are just expressing their ideas. Besides, I don't think the mods have the time nor the interest in increasing their involvement by having to police the forum even more for violators. Its really better to allow more to be said than to start limiting what cannot be said, with the exception being personal attacks.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote