Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2012, 13:38   #16
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
Should re-post it with the caption removed and invite new captions????
Brilliant post number 2, great idea

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 13:48   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: A true end to the multi vs mono debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
That's why you go inside. BTW you won't be dry in a liferaft.
Huh???

How do you get inside w/o getting wet and with water all around your feet. Where do you sit/sleep?
A life raft can be bailed out, dried out and closed up. And if you need to look out, you can peek out thru a seam. You can signal out of a life raft but how from the inside of an overturned hull?

How do you see out, or if there is actually a rescue coming?

I don't get it! The hull is most likely scrap after a turtle so why even stay aboard.

Even if I had a multi I'd still goto the life raft!!!!!

Attached Images

Old 16-02-2012, 13:52   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Huh???

How do you get inside w/o getting wet and with water all around your feet. Where do you sit/sleep?
A life raft can be bailed out, dried out and closed up. And if you need to look out, you can peek out thru a seam. You can signal out of a life raft but how from the inside of an overturned hull?

Tell that to the sailors that died in the Sydney to Hobart who had "Death" rafts shredded, capsized and even blown away before they had an opportunity to get in them.

Quote:
I'd rather be in a life raft w/all its amenities
Amenities ?
Old 16-02-2012, 14:02   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Tell that to the sailors that died in the Sydney to Hobart who had "Death" rafts shredded, capsized and even blown away before they had an opportunity to get in them.

Amenities ?
Sounds as though they were doomed, no matter what they had/did!
Old 16-02-2012, 14:04   #20

delmarrey. Please. Read the two books I suggested above.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 14:09   #21

Quote:
Huh???

How do you see out, or if there is actually a rescue coming?

I don't get it! The hull is most likely scrap after a turtle so why even stay aboard.

Even if I had a multi I'd still goto the life raft!!!!!

We have an area under a bunk where we can stay dry even with the boat inverted. From there we have access to food clothing and water.

Maybe you should read the story of the Rose Noelle, and compare that to David callahan's story. The upturned tri was a far better liferaft than the liferaft was...

How do you figure the hull is scrap? many racing cats and tri's are re-righted and continue racing. One tri drifted all the way across the Atlantic upside-down, and was washed up on a beach where it's owner found it, fixed it and raced it again...

You know if rescue was coming when they knock on the hull - like Tony Bullimore - he survived in the deep Southern ocean because his boat stayed afloat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 14:16   #22
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As a mono owner even tho i prefer monos, I sure as **** would prefer to sit inside an overturned cat than in a life raft,

Old 16-02-2012, 14:25   #23

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
As a mono owner even tho i prefer monos, I sure as **** would prefer to sit inside an overturned cat than in a life raft,

+1
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 14:36   #24
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Speaking of overturned cats, has any bright spark thought of painting the underside of the cat, not the hulls, a life raft yellow/ orange so that it would be more visible in adverse conditions?

Old 16-02-2012, 14:38   #25

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Speaking of overturned cats, has any bright spark thought of painting the underside of the cat, not the hulls, a life raft yellow/ orange so that it would be more visible in adverse conditions?
Have seen several done over the years
Even seen one with name and rego upside down on rear beam for easier identification.
Old 16-02-2012, 14:39   #26

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 14:47   #27
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

Actually very common in race boats. Some are even required to have an escape hatch in the hull.
I would think an overturned multi would be a very hazardous environment to stay in, depending on size and gear. Think of all the overturned batteries, fuel leaking from tanks that aren't meant to be inverted, holding tanks, the contents of every cupboard aboard, all the cushions, etc. All floating around in a toxic swill around your ankles. If you have a multi that has been carefully designed to be safely inverted, that's one thing, but I think the vast majority of cruising multi's don't fall into that group. In the short term a life raft would probably be more comfortable than most overturned multi's, IMHO. If you plan on staying adrift for months like Callahan or the Rose Noelle crew did, pick the multi. Personally I think I'd rather die than survive what they did.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 14:55   #28

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

That cartoon looks like it was originally lifted from Jim Brown's "Case for the Cruising Trimaran", an excellent read and responsible for my fascination with multihulls. The book is full of similarly cool cartoons, some poking gentle fun at monos. The tone was kept light and the final cartoon, IIRC, was of a trimaran with it's port ama draped affectionately over a mono as they faced the sunset.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 15:43   #29
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret

Actually very common in race boats. Some are even required to have an escape hatch in the hull.
I would think an overturned multi would be a very hazardous environment to stay in, depending on size and gear. Think of all the overturned batteries, fuel leaking from tanks that aren't meant to be inverted, holding tanks, the contents of every cupboard aboard, all the cushions, etc. All floating around in a toxic swill around your ankles. If you have a multi that has been carefully designed to be safely inverted, that's one thing, but I think the vast majority of cruising multi's don't fall into that group. In the short term a life raft would probably be more comfortable than most overturned multi's, IMHO. If you plan on staying adrift for months like Callahan or the Rose Noelle crew did, pick the multi. Personally I think I'd rather die than survive what they did.
I don't think a anyone plans to stay adrift it just happens. The sailors in the Rose Noelle faired quite a bit better than Callahan In his life raft. Im amazed there are people out there that believe a life raft would be habitable. Usually when one abandons ship the conditions are atrocious. Would I rather in the inverted multi in high winds and 30' seas or rolling down the swells in a life raft? If you lucky enough that your raft opens and will hold air. To me it's a no brained.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 15:52   #30
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I don't think a anyone plans to stay adrift it just happens. The sailors in the Rose Noelle faired quite a bit better than Callahan In his life raft. Im amazed there are people out there that believe a life raft would be habitable. Usually when one abandons ship the conditions are atrocious. Would I rather in the inverted multi in high winds and 30' seas or rolling down the swells in a life raft? If you lucky enough that your raft opens and will hold air. To me it's a no brained.

In 30' seas rolling down the swells, yes I would prefer to be zipped into my immersion suit in a good quality soft life raft with epirb and plb and vhf and all the other moder SAR amenities to rolling about in a small dark hard compartment half full of sharp corners, toxic water, and potentially large, heavy, or sharp objects like broken glass, loose batteries, floor panels, a potentially broken loose engine, etc. etc. Sounds like a great way to get beat to death by the contents of your own boat to me. Fine for race boats, but given the amount of gear and systems aboard the average cruiser, I wouldn't want to do it in most without serious forethought and planning.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote