Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2012, 21:54   #106

Re: A True End to the Multi vs Mono Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
How do you get oxygen into the hull of an overturned cat? Wouldn't opening the escape hatch let air out and water in until the escape hatch is just below the surface of the water? ...and then again, how do you get oxygen into the hull? How do you keep from getting hypothermic swimming around in there? How do you deal with the possibility of diesel fuel slopping around in there?

If you prefer to be outside, again, how do you deal with hypothermia? How do you secure yourself to a slick inverted hull in any kind of seas? How do you get potable water? How do you get food?

I think there are a number of unanswered questions about remaining with a capsized cat versus getting in a raft. Maybe some of you have answers?
I think you're working from a false premise: that air trapped in the upturned hulls is the only thing keeping the boat afloat.

It's actually unlikely that the hulls would be airtight. There would be sink drains, toilets etc, that would keep water out of the boat when upright, but would not be airtight when inverted.

Boats built form modern materials float quite high inverted. A Lightwave that was pitchpoled crossing Wide bay bar floated with the bridgedeck well clear of the water. Lightwaves used to have the escape/re-entry hatch in the bridgedeck floor - and it was reportedly still useable, with sufficient airspace between the waterline and the bridgedeck floor.

So it wasn't trapped air keeping the boat floating as high as it was.

Again the story of the Rose Noelle proves inverted multi's can be habitable. The 3 crew susrvived for months, and stayed remarkably healthy.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 10:23   #107
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Re: A True End to the Multi vs Mono Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Hmm, bit of a thread drift but I agree, however, don't forget it was the Vikings that found N America way before that Italian chap who worked for the Spanish Church claimed it. Oh the Vikvings sailed a mono didn't they
Right you are, but the folks who they met on shore, their ancestors got here on two hulls.

All my friends sail monos, but when we sail together and arrive in an anchorage, guess who's boat they dinghy over to?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote