Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 11:22   #16

Boat: Hylas 54
Re: Advice on next charter destination? SVI / St John / Antigua

There is a night time curfew. First international flight comes in June 4. No bars or restaurants open. Face mask mandatory. Plenty of boats here but most waiting to get out to US and EU once they can get crew or are waiting to get south to Grenada to get out of hurricanes. I think it’s way too early to consider coming here voluntarily and for the good of the Antiguan people best to stay away until you can be tested before arrival and on departure. Have heard of no charter companies even considering opening.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 11:44   #17
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

charter a domestic boat out of SW Florida and head over to the Dry Tortugas then back thru the Keys.
Old 24-05-2020, 12:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
There is a night time curfew. First international flight comes in June 4. No bars or restaurants open. Face mask mandatory. Plenty of boats here but most waiting to get out to US and EU once they can get crew or are waiting to get south to Grenada to get out of hurricanes. I think it’s way too early to consider coming here voluntarily and for the good of the Antiguan people best to stay away until you can be tested before arrival and on departure. Have heard of no charter companies even considering opening.
Yah , I have a friend who runs a restaurant in Antigua

Lockdown

Difficult year for locals

Sad,
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 21:08   #19

Just what I was looking for! I can imagine the seas will be something like our passage from PR to BVI. This excites me as each charter has me gaining steps of experience towards my some-day liveaboard. I’ve got the Doyle guidebook headed my way and using your wonderful pointers above I think we will have a nice adventure. Can’t thank you enough.

For a 6 day would you head up to Barbuda or just keep it all in antigua?

June 1 Antigua is supposed to open for tourism and recreation with the first commercial flight in on June 4. There is Apparently a mandatory quarantine for those repatriating but those visiting the island will be subject to a health check on arrival and must be traveling to an approved hotel or Airbnb/HomeAway type rental. From the vendors I have called it sounds like they apply for a certification to operate abiding by the governments guidelines of Limited occupancy and such. Anyhow, I met (by phone) with a high end restaurant manager and the owner of a local dive shop who stated the same story. That all things pointing to a return to partial business with tourism And recreation on June 1.

Really really excited! Thank you all again.
SillyCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 21:14   #20

Here’s one for the cat drivers out there

So this trip was originally my wife and I only so we were going with a lagoon 400 owners version As the least pricey cat w genset and ac (don’t judge us - we love our ac at night . Now that we have another couple we get to split the bill so we were considering the upgrade to Dream Yacht Charters Bali 4.3. I know the lagoon and like the “sport top” helm rather than a full flybridge. The Bali is a full fly but obviously larger. Also an OV. Thoughts on either of these? I still think the L400 would be fine. But open to opinions. Thanks!

Thoughts?
Old 26-05-2020, 10:08   #21

Re: Sailing in Atntigua, you could also cross over to Nevis and St. Kitts to get some sailing in.
Tranquil42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 11:03   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Here are some options for you as far as USVI based trips.

Buck Island, St Thomas as a day stop. Turtle Cove and Shipwreck Cove. (Day Use Moorings)

Christmas Cove, Great St James A great place to spend the night, snorkel the cay in the middle of the harbor, and share a Pizza from Pizza Pi with your crew. (Some public moorings and room to anchor)

Cruz Bay, St John Moor your boat at Lind Point or off of Caneel Bay on a national park mooring. Dinghy into town to see the attractions. Dinning and Limin for every budget. Shopping from trinkets to T-shirts, Jewelry, and provisions. Everything in one funky little town. (National Park Moorings)

St John National Park The interactive Marine Resources guide. (Google this map) This has it all the mooring fields, snorkeling spots, pretty much anything you want to know about the Park.
Link to the National Park Marine Resources Interactive Map

Hawksnest Beach, St John Named for the Hawksnest Turtles that call this home. A white sandy slice of heaven. We could tell you about Mermaid’s Seat but it is a secret. (National Park Moorings)

Trunk Bay, St John One of the most photographed beaches on the planet. It really is that pretty. Check out the snorkel trail around Trunk Bay Cay. (National Park Moorings)

Trunk Bay with the Underwater Trail is a great place for beginners and anyone who wants to learn about marine life by reading the plaques along the trail. The trail follows the west side of Trunk Bay Cay for about 300 feet before making a U-turn back to the beach. The coral and fish are well represented here. The reef continues beyond to the cay's northern tip, however, do not venture past where you are in view of the lifeguards. The farther out you go, the rougher the water is. (National Park Moorings)

Cinnamon Bay, St John Hang out with the rich and famous as well as the turtles and Conch. Spectacular water views, snorkeling, and views of some of the most incredible Vacation Villas in the Caribbean. (National Park Moorings)

Francis Bay Beach and Maho Bay Beach This is a two for one deal. Two great beaches in one great anchorage. This spot pretty much comes with a turtle viewing guarantee. (National Park Moorings)

Maho Crossroads In their own words. “A minimum footprint pop-up village at Maho Beach in St. John, USVI. Enjoy the Paddle-In Tiki Bar, Love Maho Beach Boutique, and Terrapin Beach Club.” (National Park Moorings)

Leinster Bay and Waterlemon Cay Did we mention snorkeling? This spot can keep your whole crew in the water for hours. You can snorkel around Waterlemon Cay, Snorkle the reef along the shore or dinghy into the shallows in the mangrove area and look for juvenile fish. There are more starfish here than any other place we have ever been to. (National Park Moorings)

Coral Bay, St John The little village time forgot. Don’t come here looking for commercialized attractions it is not that kind of town. You can find art, food, and drinks. A dive shop and a floating Taco Bar. It is that kind of town. (Anchoring in the public anchorage)

Lime Out, Coral Bay Speaking of floating Taco Bars, because who doesn’t want to go to a swim-up Taco Bar with Rum Drinks? This one speaks for itself. (Anchoring)

Hurricane Hole, Coral Bay St John Made up of several day mooring areas in the National Park, this is a great place to spend the afternoon. Swim and snorkel along the mangroves on shore to see countless juvenile fish and sea life. (Day Use National Park Moorings)

Salt Pond, St John This one is a secret so do not tell anyone. There are a limited number of moorings surrounded by unlimited beauty. (National Park Moorings)

Rams Head Trail, Salt Pond, St John This hiking trail runs from the beach at Salt Pond to the top of Rams Head. Pack some water and comfortable shoes. The views are spectacular. (National Park Moorings)

Great and Little Lameshur Bays Quiet coves, snorkeling oh, and did we mention stargazing? With almost no light noise from shore due to the remote location in the park this is like taking a walk around the milky way. Make sure to put a stargazing app on your phone or tablet. It is good for hours of fun. (National Park Moorings)

Reef Bay, St John Limited to two moorings this is an advanced hike.
“By Ken Wild
Within the deep interior of the Reef Bay valley rests one of St. John’s most important clues to a lost culture from the island’s past, the petroglyphs. This captivating place is located at the base of the valley’s highest waterfall, surrounded by the island’s lush tropical vegetation. Here, mysterious faces are found carved into the fall’s blue basalt rock. A spring-fed pool beneath reflects a 20-foot wide panorama of carvings year-round with other petroglyphs visible nearby. For those who may be unfamiliar with the term petroglyph, the term petroglyph refers to rock art carvings whereas pictographs are rock art paintings. (National Park Moorings)

Red Hook, St Thomas Does your crew want to spend a little time in town? In Red Hook you can either anchor out or get a slip in the Marina for the night. Either way there are a dozen or so Bars and Restaurants. Some diverse shopping opportunities and even a Grocery Store. (Marina or Anchorage)

Magens Bay, St Thomas Take a nice downwind sail around the north shore of St Thomas. You will get to view lots of small cays like Hans Lolick on the north side on your way to Magen’s. This is a truly magical spot with a large crescent beach located between two peninsulas. Anchor in the middle or closer to shore. The pelicans are sure to put on a show. (Anchorage)

Way Out West, St Thomas As you leave Magens you can continue on your downwind sail around the west end of St Thomas. Once you have cleared the west end it is back up towards the anchorages west of Charlotte Amalia.

Brewers Bay, St Thomas The first of the western anchorages. This anchorage is tucked in by the University of the Virgin Islands. It features a large sand beach and a very protected area for swimming. (Anchorage)

Linbergh Bay, St Thomas Next up is another large sand beach. The hotel located onshore has a small beach bar and restaurant. This bay is home to lots of turtles and conchs. (Anchorage)

Druif Bay, Water Island Home of Honeymoon Beach, a great spot to waste a day snorkeling and swimming with the turtles and rays. Lime away the afternoon at a beach bar. Then have sundowners watching, wait for it the spectacular sunset to the west. (Anchorage)
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 05:53   #23

Wow. What a perfect write up on the USVI. Hats off to you for taking the time to compile and write this. Now I’m curious if we just do that instead of Antigua. We can rearrange airfare no problem. Today is the day I was going to pay for the charter.

The update on Antigua is they will allow non residents to enter who then have three options:
1) enter and agree to quarantine to hotel for 7 days
2) agree to a paid covid Test on island at a testing center - results within 48 hrs - self quarantine while waiting for results - when negative comes in then free to roam and follow guidelines (face mask - social distance)
3) arrive with documentation supporting a negative test result having been administered in the preceding 48 hours - then can roam and follow guidelines (face masks and social distancing in public)

If we do Antigua #3 will be our plan of action.

So do we do USVI or Antigua?

USVI - Sounds like a lot in the USVI, which I’ve seen 25% of the above. But loved it each time. And I’d bet its pretty desolate which will be nice. No issues with testing and such.

Antigua - never been there - add another sailing grounds to my “logbook” - see and experience new area - learn new adaptability - etc

This trip is about sailing, enjoying, relaxing, adventuring, and building my skills for my some-day live aboard and cruising.

I sound like I am indecisive - because I am. Leaning Antigua.
Old 27-05-2020, 06:50   #24

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m

I love Antigua but if your reason is to find bigger seas then you likely only get around 4 hours of that in a week (assuming you beat up to Green Island from English Harbour or round from Jolly - depending on who you charter from) or making the passage to Barbuda. You can get plenty of the same by beating from St Thomas to Lameshur Bay or making the passage across to St Croix (about the same as the Barbuda run)

It is a shame that the marketing of USVI has Historically been so poor vs BVI to suggest you can’t easily spend 2 weeks in the USVI without getting bored. Assuming all the boats that were waiting to make the return passage have left by the time you get there, you will probably have most of it to yourself. You will probably get a great deal from CYOA as they have many Cats less than 20 mins from the airport...

If Antigua, where are you starting out? I could suggest a week’s itinerary easily enough but it makes a difference where you begin. Barbuda is lovely but, in a 6 day charter, probably one to skip unless the 30-35 mile passage is something you enjoy enough to invest effectively two days of the charter plus whatever time you spend in Barbuda.
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 08:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCs View Post
Wow. What a perfect write up on the USVI. Hats off to you for taking the time to compile and write this. Now I’m curious if we just do that instead of Antigua. We can rearrange airfare no problem. Today is the day I was going to pay for the charter.

The update on Antigua is they will allow non residents to enter who then have three options:
1) enter and agree to quarantine to hotel for 7 days
2) agree to a paid covid Test on island at a testing center - results within 48 hrs - self quarantine while waiting for results - when negative comes in then free to roam and follow guidelines (face mask - social distance)
3) arrive with documentation supporting a negative test result having been administered in the preceding 48 hours - then can roam and follow guidelines (face masks and social distancing in public)

If we do Antigua #3 will be our plan of action.

So do we do USVI or Antigua?

USVI - Sounds like a lot in the USVI, which I’ve seen 25% of the above. But loved it each time. And I’d bet its pretty desolate which will be nice. No issues with testing and such.

Antigua - never been there - add another sailing grounds to my “logbook” - see and experience new area - learn new adaptability - etc

This trip is about sailing, enjoying, relaxing, adventuring, and building my skills for my some-day live aboard and cruising.

I sound like I am indecisive - because I am. Leaning Antigua.
For the record I am the general manager at CYOA Yacht Charters. I wrote this for our ad agency. We are working on a new marketing campaign for the summer. We reopen on June 1st. June and July are filling in.
Old 27-05-2020, 09:10   #26

Captain jay! Ah that makes sense. I met with your folks. I was jut reminded. Airlines are so limited we can’t get into St Thomas on our dates (time constraint due to childcare). So this option is a no go for us unfortunately.

Telesail - would use Dream out of Jolly Harbor. May play it by ear on the short haul over to Barbuda. But it does appear there would be plenty to do on Antigua. But yes I do want a few more “hours” of real sailing than it appears I’d get tooling around Antigua.
Old 27-05-2020, 09:42   #27

Sounds like Antigua is your only choice if you can't get to the VI...

If you start out from Jolly then (assuming not too much South in the wind) going out Around Five Islands and into Hermitage Bay for the first night - should be less crowded than the anchorage outside Jolly.

If you are going to Barbuda, suggest you do it the next day. Otherwise, work your way to Carlisle Bay on South Coast (again, not much fun with South in the wind as the swells come in) and then over to Falmouth the day after. If you want to go on the wall at English Harbour to wander around there and the National Park trails - up to Shirley Heights etc - then that is a good alternative to Falmouth. Both will likely have plenty of room.

Next day, beat up to Nonsuch from English Harbour.

If you went to Barbuda, then you would be best sailing down to the East Coast and going into Nonsuch Bay (Green Island) and taking a ball by the reef - plenty of breeze but no swell! Can do English/Falmouth on your way back round to Jolly. If Catherine's Cafe is open on Pigeon Beach then definitely worth anchoring off Pigeon and going there for lunch!

On your way back from East Coast, you have a fantastic downwind sleigh ride - probably a couple of nice broad reaches back to Jolly (staying outside Cades Reef) and gradually hardening up to a beam reach along the West Coast.

If you are looking for a fun sail (subject to lockdowns and you did not go to Barbuda) and if DYC will permit it, you could hop over to Guadeloupe (Deshaies) for dinner and come back the next day (about the same time and distance as Barbuda). Fantastic bakery opposite the dinghy dock and La Kaz du Douanier a good stop for dinner.

Hope that helps
Old 27-05-2020, 09:45   #28

If your flights are still good to Puerto Rico you could likely buy tickets on Seaborne/Silver to get over here from there.
Old 27-05-2020, 11:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
If your flights are still good to Puerto Rico you could likely buy tickets on Seaborne/Silver to get over here from there.
Hadn’t seen you had flights to PR. I am guessing there may even be ferries back in service by then? If VI is an option, I still reckon you would get more variety and more meaningful sailing between stops there than Antigua (which only takes 7 hours to sail around the entire island on a normal day!)

Mind you, it is a high class problem to have where both options are good!
Old 27-05-2020, 12:07   #30

Boat: Hylas 54

Barbudan waters are closed according to A&B coastguard
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, charter, destination