Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2013, 10:52   #1

Boat: 36 cross tri
Advice on Project Catamaran

I'm looking at possibly buying this poor cat I found in florida...I've talked to the owner a few times, emailed dif designers trying to get info on it, to no avail. so I'm wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the boat. I do realize it's a pretty intense project to start with, but I feel like I have just enough skills and knowledge to be dangerous. My tenative idea is to haul it out for three months, get it cleaned up, seaworthy and liveable (think camping on a boat), then put her back in and finish it before/during an island hop down to Antigua (where I have access to an extensive workshop to do the finishing touches.

Any thoughts are welcome. Nick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3113_058.jpg
Views:	2486
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	71327   Click image for larger version

Name:	main.jpg
Views:	1277
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	71328  

Attached Images

Nick Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 13:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Advice on project catamaran

Looks more like 3 years (or more) than 3 months!
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 13:44   #3

well, three months to deal with the hull and paint really. I figure I can outfit it enough while floating in fl and waiting for the hurricane season to pass.
Old 30-11-2013, 15:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

I like the way that the owner appears to have dealt with leaking windows... he has just fibreglassed over them.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 15:38   #5

Big job! Is it a plywood boat? Have to agree with Boracay, I can't see that being made seaworthy and liveable in 3 months.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 16:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

If the boat was free it would be overpriced. It's fiberglass so it can be repaired, but I frankly think you could build a sistership for the same amount that it would cost to repair it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 17:18   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Run, run , run and fast, do not look back just keep running so this guy does not catch you.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 17:19   #8

its glass over ply. the damage is from it getting loose and hitting a jetty. its dry on the interior other than some random rainwater. I know I'd have some patching to do to the hull/deck, but as far as i can tell from talking to him, it's fine bellow the waterline. I dont mind the sterns damaged as I'd probably extend them anyways, same with the aft part of the cockpit and the interior of the hulls. A big issue of course is that I'm in california and the cat's in fla. At this point I'm trying to determine if it's even worth a flight.

this thing interests me because it seems to be the best near free boat on the east coast. the end goal being to get to the Caribbean with something big enough to do some diving/day charters
Old 30-11-2013, 17:51   #9

Boat: Conser 47 performance CAT
What's your incentive on the project. Must add she has good lines for a performance cruiser cat, but living accomo looks very minimal, but that's not very important to many.

Likely depends upon your expectations. If its Just get her seaworthy and enjoy the basic boat, you maybe fine. If you want to fully upgrade on every way and create a complete cruising cat, you likely are looking at an over-investment that you will never recover, since she's unique...

Good luck ... Some projects are worth the work, regardless of the sense of it.... Or others view of sense ......:-)
Gboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 18:07   #10

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

oh my, it looks really bad.
The hull structure MUST be solid to even consider taking on such a huge project.
Is this plywood construction?
The window treatment, is that fiberglass stuck on?
Just think how long it will take to sand every inch of that boat.
All the hatches and windows complete redo to keep the water out.

You could save it, but I can't see it habitable in 3 months, unless you have 4 friends to help full time.
Old 30-11-2013, 18:17   #11

The initial cost appeals to me of course, and based on some rough calculations, I feel like I could at least get my investment back out after it's done and sailed around for a year or two. I like that certain aspects of it are damaged/unfinished... the stern of both hulls for example. I would probably rework them to be a little longer anyways. The interior is basically a blank canvas. So I see these as good areas to flex my design/craftsmanship muscle. I do think the lines are good, and has great potential, I just wonder how the rig/hull are in terms of being structurally sound.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:53   #12

I think it looks like a fascinating project! I will admit, I know virtually nothing about boats or sailing (yet, that'll change next year). But you sound a bit like me, in that you know how you like things. I'm not a big fan of buying things straight off the shelf, and always end up making customisations at one point or another. I know how I like things, and it annoys me if I own something that isn't the way I want it.

I've been reading up on a lot of cats, and they are beautiful, wonderful boats. But I keep thinking.... that's not quite how I would arrange that interior. So, if I had the skills, time and resources, I'd love to have a blank slate. But that's the trick, isn't it. The time, skills AND resources. People tend have 1 or 2 of the 3 when they start a project.

From the little I know, I would thick it would be good to get her out of the water to get a good view of the complete hull from the outside. I'd also want to know the state of the engines, props, etc.

Good luck if you decide to go with it. MG
MoxieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

This one was mentioned on my other thread. Posts 744 thru 747.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-87193-50.html
Perhaps Boatguy30 will look at it for you.

Here's some issues.
1. Many marinas and yards won't allow a boat like that on the property.
2. Many marinas and yards don't allow DIY.
3. Towing that cat to an accommodating yard may be a logistical and expensive issue.
4. Are you quitting your job because restoring this boat will be a full time occupation?
5. New engines are 200 to 400 for one horsepower. Even outboards are pricey. Those popular 9.9 HP OB are over $2000. You will probably need bigger motors than those, too. Add in tanks, filters, and stuff and you are going to spend more.
6. New sails are around $10 to $20 per sq. ft.
7. Add some or all of this: watermaker, radar, chartplotter, ais, radios, epirb, dinghy and motor, life raft, bimini, paint, antifouling, rigging, steering, autopilot and on and on.

Working on a boat in Fla has a major advantage on working on it in the islands and that is that everything you might need is right there. The long lead times, customs hassles, import taxes have been well documented in CF. And then there is the manana attitude.
The downside is higher labor and possibly higher marina rates in Fla.

Good Luck, whatever you decide.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:35   #14
Marine Service Provider

What is your expiwrence with refitting yachts? That is the biggest question.

How many boats have you owned or run?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:30   #15

thanks for the tip on boat guy30, sent him a message. as far as my abilities/background go. when I was a juvenille delinquent I helped my parentals work on two dif boats. My mother built a 30ft hard chine monohull, and when i was older, we spent several years in a yard working on a 36ft cross tri. As an adult, by boating experience has dwindled to a 19 ft' hobie that I sailed and repaired as I went through college. I do however own/operate a small design/construction company that specializes in quality custom work and unique challenges. As I said I have just enough skills to be dangerous. I have no issues with learning, planing and tackling a big project like this, but its the experience of you all that have done this before that I dont have. I'm simply seeing this as a possible avenue for a new experience. I'm not looking to make a ton of money on this, but I am hoping to at least get my investment back once it is all said and done.

Tags
catamaran