Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2019, 14:47   #16

Boat: Outremer 51
Re: Anchors..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
That’s really helpful - thanks! Did you find the 50m to be sufficient for the South Pacific or would you havw liked more?

N
We have another 50 meters of rope rode on the chain, but I only used it once or twice I think. We have a bridle that attaches near the crossbeam and is about 10 meters long so that adds a bit more below the waterline. As mentioned, the Spade works very well on a short scope. Having said that, there were probably a couple of places (Suwarrow comes to mind) where another 20 meters would have been nice. But then I would have had to haul around that extra unused 20 meters of chain the rest of the time.
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 20:43   #17

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Asking about an anchor needs to be changed to asking about the ground tackle system. No anchor will hold well if it is attached to 25 feet of 3/16 in Polypropylene rope with a slip knot. There is also some disagreement about things like using a shackle to attach chain to the anchor, not to mention if stainless steel is a good idea for an anchor or chain. There is also the issue of a bridle setup; and most suggest you use a bridle, with or without snubbers, on multihulls. As others have noted some types of anchors work better with some types of bottoms. There is also the issue of where you are anchoring. Places like the Florida Keys/Bahamas you will often be anchoring in less than 20 feet of water while in some more exotic areas it may be more than 50 feet of water.

In any case I have a Manson Supreme with plenty of chain on my windless ready to instantly deploy and a Bruce right beside it with 50' of chain also ready for instant deployment. Also have a spare Bruce (bought it cheap at a sale) and a couple of Danforth anchors in the anchor locker (it is big) I can quickly access. I also have a ready to go bridle on top of all the mess in the anchor locker. As for anchoring it's self I probably take 20 minutes plus to locate the best spot, drop the anchor, slowly let out the chain, check the GPS anchor location, see if I am drifting, wait for things to settle down, check the GPS again, back down, and set the anchor alarm.

No one needs just an anchor, they need a ground tackle system including anchor, chain, rode, bridle, and understanding how to deploy it.
Thanks, but that’s not the point of the post.

I have plenty of 10mm chain, a snubbing bridle to each hull and sufficient experience to know how to deploy an anchor. What I’m specifically as for is what anchor other multihull owners are using, and whether they’re happy with it / would recommend.

My boat came with a 15kg Bruce and a massive CQR knock off, hence the need to upgrade. Have you been happy with your Manson so far?

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 20:46   #18

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuse51 View Post
We have another 50 meters of rope rode on the chain, but I only used it once or twice I think. We have a bridle that attaches near the crossbeam and is about 10 meters long so that adds a bit more below the waterline. As mentioned, the Spade works very well on a short scope. Having said that, there were probably a couple of places (Suwarrow comes to mind) where another 20 meters would have been nice. But then I would have had to haul around that extra unused 20 meters of chain the rest of the time.
Ok brilliant - thanks for the info. It’s boat show season here soon so I’ll have a specific look around for the Spade stand!
N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 00:40   #19
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

37' Catamaran, about 5 tonnes, UK sailing - we have a 20kg Mantus and am very impressed with it. Sets very quickly.
Had two nights of 50 knot winds in the Scillies - first night awake worrying about the anchor, next night slept like a log since it didn't move at all
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 03:25   #20

Boat: Lagoon 42

We have a 2019 Lagoon 42, weighing in at over 25,000 lbs. Lagoons are heavy boats and nearly all catamarans have quite a bit of windage. We replaced the Delta, (55 lbs. - I think) which came as standard equipment, with a Rocna 33 (72 lbs.) and all-chain rode. We have been extremely happy with our setup. I think you can't go wrong with a Rocna and all-chain rode if appropriately sized for the boat. Love the Rocna, it's a tremendous upgrade from the Delta. Not that Deltas are bad anchors, but simply not in the same class as a similar size Rocna. Our Rocna sets much, much easier and more securely than the Delta.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 15:06   #21

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

In the anchor section of CF you will see the series of videos by Steve of sv Panope where he shows you the performance of many of the anchors, both initial setting, and also resetting after 180 degree change of direction.

Cutting to the chase, the 2 most reliable setting anchors were the Sarca Excel and the Spade.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 15:47   #22

Boat: Outremer 50S

We have a 30kg Bugel (sorry, no diacritical marks) on 100m of 10mm chain. As noted on profile, 50-foot moderate weight cat. We've been very satisfied over the past three years, pretty much all of it on the hook.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 16:06   #23

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Thanks, but that’s not the point of the post.

I have plenty of 10mm chain, a snubbing bridle to each hull and sufficient experience to know how to deploy an anchor. What I’m specifically as for is what anchor other multihull owners are using, and whether they’re happy with it / would recommend.

My boat came with a 15kg Bruce and a massive CQR knock off, hence the need to upgrade. Have you been happy with your Manson so far?

N
I normally use the Manson and have been happy with it. But a couple of times I have been caught in a line squall at anchor and the Manson broke free (we are talking 50 knot+ wind probably a micro burst). I was in shallow water with lots of chain out; but over an eel grass bottom and the Bruce caught almost instantly while the Manson was still dragging. Lots of folks (me included) claim that there is no one size fits all anchor. My experience has been that the Manson is the most versatile but there times, like lots of grass over a mud bottom when the tip of the Manson picks up a blob of weeds and mud that the Bruce will catch. Most likely the Manson would also catch if it was raised and the crap cleaned off the tip. But it is a lot easier in the heat of the battle to simply drop the Bruce and clean things up when the storm has passed.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 16:36   #24

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

We had a 73lb Rocna for several years and loved it. It did seem to struggle a bit in weed though. We ended up moving the Rocna to our trawler and replaced it with a 80lb Mantus on the cat, thinking that the sharper tip of the Mantus would help to penetrate weed. In our experience, it doesn't seem to have made much difference. Both are excellent anchors.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor