Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2019, 05:32   #31

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: ....And Then Reality Hits

Congratulations! There's nothing quite like the thrill and excitement of a new boat. Okay, so you've got a list of things that need to be done. You'll always have that list. Chris Mac already quoted "The Martian" and it's pertinent. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. You'll work through the list. Not today or tomorrow but, when you do, you'll know your boat inside and out. There is a day on the horizon where you'll still have a few items on the list but they can wait and you'll be able to kick back and relax and really enjoy yourself. You'll tell the same story then and you'll laugh about it. For right now, hang in there. Take one bite at a time. Ask us all the questions you want and keep us posted. You've got this. Just begin.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 05:33   #32

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The first year with a “new used” boat is hell. You’ll get through it. Prioritize your projects and get through them- no 90% working heads, no engine problems, no hatches leaking on your face. Don’t start insignificant projects until the critical ones are done.

So far as toilets and waste systems, in the long run it’s less work to rip and replace everything. Then it’s done for ten years and no issues.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 06:35   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

I hear you OP

Your are taking it well
Old 29-08-2019, 07:01   #34

The only time boats stop breaking is when they sink.

But, if tinkering and fixing things makes you happy, like it does me, then that's part of the joy of owning the damn things.
Old 29-08-2019, 07:05   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Ha ha ha - super cool summer post!!! Very funny!!!

Makes me think of the time when I took over a Maxi that was earlier 'meticulously maintained by a sole owner'. The first funny thing was when its engine room filled with smoke and the motor had to be stopped with an emergency procedure. Then came the genset, toilets (4 in that boat), fridges (4 !!!), aircon, bow thruster ....

;-)))))

Boats, boats, .... we love them!

Have fun making it yours and reliable!

My tip: make a list BUT go one item at a time. Fix one, pick up another. One at a time.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 09:11   #36

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I hear you OP

Your are taking it well

Nicely Said

The FTD list never goes away it just keeps growing, but I love it keeps me out of the Wifes way as I have to tinker on the boat .
I have found that this helps truly understsand your boat and you will feel more
confident and self worth as you fix issues and find out more about your boat
Good luck and beware of the Boat pixes that steal your tools
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 09:28   #37

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Owning a boat is just awful.

The only thing WORSE than owning a boat....is NOT owning one!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:24   #38

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

It's called SEA TRIALS, this is what you do, when you are going to buy a boat, new or used, you test or run everything, noting any issues, becomes a bargaining chip on the final price, AND allows you to make a decision on wheather you want to move ahead on the deal.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:31   #39

Boat: 1972 Formosa 41, 41od 48 oa

Just hang in there and keep chipping at the rock, eventually it will break and you can sit back and enjoy. I bought an old formosa 41 a year ago I knew it needed work but was thinking I could have it ready to make the 200 mile journey home in approx. a month LOL, I have been on and around boats for 60 years but still missed some serious issues when it was purchased. I found so many problems I was overwelmed but determined to bring her back to life and make my home. I have been making the 2 1/2 hr drive twice a month and working on her for a week at a time. She is nearly ready to bring home. i plan to make te 200 mile sail in October from Houston to Port Lavaca were I'll retore the interior to better suit my needs. As stated just start with most important and keep xing things off the list eventually it well get done, don't think of all that needs to be done think of what you don't have to do, before you know it the x's will be more than the need to do's. Boats are a lot of work but if you love the boat it's a labor of love and very gratifing to see it come together, kinda like rasing a kid and seeing them become sucessful, good people. Stay positive keep picking away and your dream will come true.
capt.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:32   #40

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

When I first bought my current boat I had to move it in hurry from Fort Myers to Jacksonville FL. By the time I finished the trip I was down to just having sails and hull. Engine was overheating, autopilot died, generator died (had to charge my gps and tablets etc on a backpacking solar panel).

I learned a lot about sailing on that trip and a lot about what is really "needed" and those things that I really "wanted" and those that didn't matter if I had or not.

Once you get the wrinkles ironed out I'm sure you'll be real happy with your boat.
Old 29-08-2019, 11:09   #41

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
...'meticulously maintained by a sole owner'.
Famous last words!
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 11:09   #42

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post

Problem 2... The toilet in the master hull stopped working. I snaked it... detached the hose from the pump to the holding tank... clear... Took off the housing, and checked the Joker valve... it was fine... water is leaking out when the system is taken apart.. but when it's together and the electric pump is run, the water swirls but doesn't exit the system.
I just repaired the electric Jabsco toilet in our boat last week. We replaced the pump as it was very clearly fried. Along with the motor, we replaced the impeller, the macerator blade, the joker valve and all the seals. After reassembly we had the same experience as you: water swirling but not exiting the bowl. I confirmed a clear exit pathway downstream from the joker valve as you did. But still the water was not exiting the bowl. Rather than pump smelly marina water into the bowl, we were filling it manually with fresh water to test the flush action. After multiple attempts we gave up for the day and left fresh water in the bowl overnight. The next morning I flushed the toilet and Voila! it worked, although I did have to hold the button down much longer than normal. After that initial longer flush time, it has worked fine. I don't know why it worked other than the possibility that the fresh water dissolved some material that was clogging the flow way or perhaps there was air in the lines. It also might have been we were filling the bowl manually and probably overfilling it so that the flush time was greatly increased. Maybe we just weren't holding the button down long enough?

As for the other issues you so eloquently share, Yep. We purchased our used boat in "excellent shape", put 1200nm on her and now a lot of things are in need of attention. You are so correct, "expecting and preparing" are not the same as "experiencing". I knew it was coming. Just didn't expect so many, so soon. Ah, well, it's still a grand adventure.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 11:31   #43

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
So, almost exactly a month ago, I posted "for all you dreamers"... About how after many years of dreaming, we bought a 2011 Lagoon 450.. "dreams come true'.. right?

Well.. 4 weeks later, and reality hits. about a minute after taking possession of our boat (one which our very thorough surveyor declared in above average condition... ) The generator wouldn't start. It was 110 in the shade, and we had no air conditioning. We thought it was a bad charger for the generator battery.. we bought a replacement one. US, and our boat is wired Euro, and then we hired an electrician to MacGyver it to make it work. Electrician came yesterday, and.. it may still be a starter, but we have a bad inverter that needs to be fixed before he can test it... Did I say "fix it"? I should have said 'replace'... B-O-A-T

That was problem one.
Problem 2... The toilet in the master hull stopped working. I snaked it... detached the hose from the pump to the holding tank... clear... Took off the housing, and checked the Joker valve... it was fine... water is leaking out when the system is taken apart.. but when it's together and the electric pump is run, the water swirls but doesn't exit the system. So, before I started replacing pumps (seeing as though I'm a newby at this) I decided it might make sense to hire someone to take a look at it, and walk me through what I should check... guy said he would do it.... and never showed up.... So... that head is still out of commission..

So, on since I'm on the subject... One of the toilets in the guest gull is an electroscan unit. The previous owners showed me how to use it. (we haven't used it at all) However, I did run the system a couple of times Just to keep it moving. Well, It smelled really bad, so I used a marine toilet cleaner that the owner had left in the vanity next to the toilet. I poured some in... and left it in while we left the boat for a few weeks. When I got back to the boat.. I was checking the toilets, and ran that toilet.. and it had a failure. To make a long story short... the cleaner, they left there has ammonia in it, and after reading the user guide, found out that using anything with ammonia in it will seriously damage the unit.So.. I fried that toilet. Now, we only have one working toilet (knock wood)

Then, today I went to fire up the engines.. (not sailing today, but I've been gone for a few weeks, and thought that I should check all systems).. well... neither engine would start. grrrrrrr…

Then, when I went out to the boat (we live in Kansas, and our boat is in Delaware), I went with 2 dozen specific jobs to get taken care of (or at least start the ball rolling)… 4 days later, my list has expanded to 96 items that need attention!!! Now, granted most of them are tiny... cupboard door that needs balancing... nailholes that need to be filled... water leak that needs to be traced, and fixed.. etc... But there are a few medium to big projects on the list. and still.... wow

And for those of you who will pipe in and say things like, "maybe you can't handle having a boat".. or "didn't you know about how much maintenance there would be".... I knew full well what I was getting into. But, knowing, and preparing, is one thing... but to actually be in it is another.

I have several friends who have also taken this journey and are anywhere from 3 months to 4 years ahead of us, and in talks with them, they have all gone through this as well. 2 bought brand new boats, that had major issues from the start, and had problems getting warranty work done.. my other 2 friends bought used boats. (much older and needing work when they bought them.) I felt absolutely SURE that we bought a very good well maintained used boat, and it is... And still we are feeling discouraged... or perhaps overwhelmed is a better word.

I think the most surprising part of this has been how fast, and how FAR the fall is once you realize your dream. I was hoping to have at least a little honeymoon period to enjoy how far we've come... But.. nope. So,to those still following along in my story.. even when you've done all your homework... and prepared fully for ownership... you will still be completely shocked at how much can go wrong so fast....

Anyway... that's my sob story and I'm sticking to it!!! btw... I still absolutely love my "most beautiful boat in the entire world.... " And I would rather spend one day on the boat, with all the system failures.. than spending a day without her...

Since you obviously have internet access, suggest you check every manufacturer website for the product you are having problems with. Most have excellent tech support department that can guide you in trouble shooting and diagnosing the problems.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 12:32   #44

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This is the voice of experience.

Every boat is just like yours. New or used. It's our job as owners to stay reasonably ahead of it.

Yup.. and anyone who tells you different is either lying or simply does not care that things are broken. Lots of those out there.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 12:43   #45

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
Yup.. and anyone who tells you different is either lying or simply does not care that things are broken. Lots of those out there.
It's about priorities.

Some broken stuff is not vital and can be fixed later.
Like a A/C pump or a leaking hatch.

Some stuff requires immediate attention.