Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 08:28   #106
woc

Boat: Lagoon450
Re: ....And Then Reality Hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
So, almost exactly a month ago, I posted "for all you dreamers"... About how after many years of dreaming, we bought a 2011 Lagoon 450.. "dreams come true'.. right?

Well.. 4 weeks later, and reality hits. about a minute after taking possession of our boat (one which our very thorough surveyor declared in above average condition... ) The generator wouldn't start. It was 110 in the shade, and we had no air conditioning. We thought it was a bad charger for the generator battery.. we bought a replacement one. US, and our boat is wired Euro, and then we hired an electrician to MacGyver it to make it work. Electrician came yesterday, and.. it may still be a starter, but we have a bad inverter that needs to be fixed before he can test it... Did I say "fix it"? I should have said 'replace'... B-O-A-T

That was problem one.
Problem 2... The toilet in the master hull stopped working. I snaked it... detached the hose from the pump to the holding tank... clear... Took off the housing, and checked the Joker valve... it was fine... water is leaking out when the system is taken apart.. but when it's together and the electric pump is run, the water swirls but doesn't exit the system. So, before I started replacing pumps (seeing as though I'm a newby at this) I decided it might make sense to hire someone to take a look at it, and walk me through what I should check... guy said he would do it.... and never showed up.... So... that head is still out of commission..

So, on since I'm on the subject... One of the toilets in the guest gull is an electroscan unit. The previous owners showed me how to use it. (we haven't used it at all) However, I did run the system a couple of times Just to keep it moving. Well, It smelled really bad, so I used a marine toilet cleaner that the owner had left in the vanity next to the toilet. I poured some in... and left it in while we left the boat for a few weeks. When I got back to the boat.. I was checking the toilets, and ran that toilet.. and it had a failure. To make a long story short... the cleaner, they left there has ammonia in it, and after reading the user guide, found out that using anything with ammonia in it will seriously damage the unit.So.. I fried that toilet. Now, we only have one working toilet (knock wood)

Then, today I went to fire up the engines.. (not sailing today, but I've been gone for a few weeks, and thought that I should check all systems).. well... neither engine would start. grrrrrrr…

Then, when I went out to the boat (we live in Kansas, and our boat is in Delaware), I went with 2 dozen specific jobs to get taken care of (or at least start the ball rolling)… 4 days later, my list has expanded to 96 items that need attention!!! Now, granted most of them are tiny... cupboard door that needs balancing... nailholes that need to be filled... water leak that needs to be traced, and fixed.. etc... But there are a few medium to big projects on the list. and still.... wow

And for those of you who will pipe in and say things like, "maybe you can't handle having a boat".. or "didn't you know about how much maintenance there would be".... I knew full well what I was getting into. But, knowing, and preparing, is one thing... but to actually be in it is another.

I have several friends who have also taken this journey and are anywhere from 3 months to 4 years ahead of us, and in talks with them, they have all gone through this as well. 2 bought brand new boats, that had major issues from the start, and had problems getting warranty work done.. my other 2 friends bought used boats. (much older and needing work when they bought them.) I felt absolutely SURE that we bought a very good well maintained used boat, and it is... And still we are feeling discouraged... or perhaps overwhelmed is a better word.

I think the most surprising part of this has been how fast, and how FAR the fall is once you realize your dream. I was hoping to have at least a little honeymoon period to enjoy how far we've come... But.. nope. So,to those still following along in my story.. even when you've done all your homework... and prepared fully for ownership... you will still be completely shocked at how much can go wrong so fast....

Anyway... that's my sob story and I'm sticking to it!!! btw... I still absolutely love my "most beautiful boat in the entire world.... " And I would rather spend one day on the boat, with all the system failures.. than spending a day without her...
I feel your pain..... bought my Lagoon450 new and am sailing around the world. It took me two years of tweaking, repairing,upgrading to make it “ my boat” and know it inside out. Less problems now? No, but 9 out of ten I know what the cause is and fix it without much frustration.
As many will agree, cruising means fixing the boat in exotic places. One last point, part time use of the boat causes more problems than one being lived on and in use. Best of luck, you have a good boat and will soon get know it.
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:42   #107

Sit back put a Beatles or Stones , ( showing my age ) light up a doobie ,
( is it still called that )
Alcohol - Anything too get a buzz
Sit on the deck , looking up at the sky ,stars, so peaceful ,
Having a boat we all live that process of non stop repairs ,
If your handy , can get too everything , that's half the battle
There is fun work , Then NOT FUN WORK ,
Once you accomplish a repair , it's a nice feeling , you will never
forget how its done , Most repairs think it thru , males sense
Cant rely on vendors , most repairs you have too lean too do yourself
I wrestle with selling my boat , then when I think about all the work
I had too do , buying used I am starting all over ,
Don't have the desire
It gets better ,
HAVE U HUGGED YOUR BOAT TODAY ?
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:46   #108

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Things on a boat brake when not used frequently, and also occasionally break when used frequently. The good news is, you have a dream catamaran, most systems are redundant, so fix them when you have the time and material, it does not stop you from sailing, the bad news is, you have 2 times more stuff, than can brake and need maintenance.

Anyway, we are cruising now the 5th month, fixing things along the way or adding them to the list for the winter.

Once you cruise, you'll love your boat. There is a reason most boats have female names, they are divas...
Old 06-09-2019, 09:04   #109

Boat: Lagoon 450

I have a Lagoon 450 also. Bought it in November. Great boat, but I’ve had to do lots of projects and upgrades. Join the Lagoon Owners forum on Facebook. Use the search function on the forum. Lots of helpful people there and great info. I’ve had to rebuild a few of the heads and muriatic avid flush. Even added a flush port 3 way valve so that I can purge the discharge line. Take it Day by day, screw by screw, wire by wire. It’s satisfying to fix things and know you did it right. Feel free to message me any time. I can save you some hassle.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:14   #110

Yeah, boats always have things that are broken or in the process of breaking. You're going to get really good at fixing things!
Got2Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:16   #111

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

If water is swirling in toilet but not draining, remove macerator pump from back of toilet and check for a clog around the macerator blade. Being you are new to boats I suggest disconnecting power to the pump from the switch first before you stick anything near the blades especially your fingers.
Sorry, no you sacrificed your honeymoon when you bought a used boat. Good luck.
Joe
Sea Of Love
L440 BVI

sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:38   #112

Your all scaring me, Im probably at the lower end of the market, budget around £40 K, I had thought 35K on the boat and 5 in reserve, but maybe I should change that ratio
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:53   #113

Big boat big problems, small boat small problems
CruiserBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:37   #114

Boat: 1973 Spencer 53

Love this thread. We're almost 2 years in and still waiting for our honeymoon period when we can leave the marina. (The engine died the day we brought the boat down from Anacortes where we purchased her.)

Soon...

It is fun to think how far we've come and all that we've replaced and now know about the boat though. But it does feel like once we get to the bottom of the list, it'll be time to start everything all over again.

We live aboard in the PNW but work full-time at jobs during the day as well as tend to 3 kids' lives.
OkiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:12   #115

Boat: Bali 4.0

I appreciate this post as much (or maybe even more) than your first one!

Took us a while to come to terms with this new “boat mentality” as well.
Been realizing lately it’s all about proper expectations and keeping it all in perspective.

We thought we were buying a newer boat so that we could spend the first couple years focused on learning to sail rather than learning to fix things. Clear now that was a ridiculous idea to begin with, and it immediately came with frustration (and occasionally it still does)... but now that’s typically only when we pay someone else for something (expecting a higher level skill set or knowledge than what we can bring to the table)... only to be disappointed at the money lost AND the questionable job done in return.

Now 9months in... it seems the real secret is simply to be using the boat more than you’re fixing it. It’s all about balance after all, so if you sailed today (or recently) that imagery is close in your mind and boatwork doesn’t seem quite as horrible... but if the only thing you’re doing in recent history and foreseeable future is boatwork, than its never going to seem worth it.

All the work and none of the play... Nine of us would have signed up for that!!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:37   #116

Boat: Tartan 42

Scarlet it was so bad for us initially that we wrote a book about our experiences, How NOT to Buy a Cruising Boat. It took us six years to get everything fixed to where it was just routine maintenance. We both came out of a background of aviation where mechanical work is regulated heavily for quality and professionalism. The lack of quality construction and upkeep in the marine industry was shocking to us. All I can say is stay the course. It does get better and you're right, I wouldn't trade the last six years of cruising for anything.
Kintala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:51   #117

Boat: still day dreaming

thats the difference between boats and houses. i built my house in 2008 and ive spent £6 on maintenance (resealed the shower tray) in all that time
robdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 13:40   #118

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We had electrasan in our vessel at some stage, didn't last long and more trouble than they are worth said the previous owner.
Replaced with saniloo. Very simple system in comparison.
Description below from 2007 article
SaniLoo is an Australian system. I went to the site. The Sani-Loo "more" page gives a 404, so no details on the way it works there. It does have an impressive terminal block on the top.

My main concern, for a US-based customer would be:

Servicing Sani-Loo Systems

Your treatment unit will require minimal servicing. When servicing is required for units in need of some TLC, we offer a full refurbishment service and can usually turn-around units within 24-48 hours. The most efficient method for remote area’s is to courier the units to our service center located in Brisbane, Australia.

Maybe not exactly useful for a US-based vessel.

What nobody told me before I installed TWO Electroscans on our boat is that the electrodes are considered consumables, and only good for several hundred flushes, after which they need to be replaced - NOT CHEAP. Nor easy when you are cruising away from home.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 14:56   #119

Smile Re:welcome to boating ....And Then Reality Hits

The main problem is the boat is in Delaware, that boat should be sailing the high seas in exotic places not the bowls of Delaware! When your on the high seas there is no need for toilets and engines, you should be sailing and exploring new islands and catching your food! One note, the best boat to enjoy is your friends! That works out the best!
Lizzyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 16:41   #120

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
So, almost exactly a month ago, I posted "for all you dreamers"... About how after many years of dreaming, we bought a 2011 Lagoon 450.. "dreams come true'.. right?

Well.. 4 weeks later, and reality hits. about a minute after taking possession of our boat (one which our very thorough surveyor declared in above average condition... ) The generator wouldn't start. It was 110 in the shade, and we had no air conditioning. We thought it was a bad charger for the generator battery.. we bought a replacement one. US, and our boat is wired Euro, and then we hired an electrician to MacGyver it to make it work. Electrician came yesterday, and.. it may still be a starter, but we have a bad inverter that needs to be fixed before he can test it... Did I say "fix it"? I should have said 'replace'... B-O-A-T

That was problem one.
Problem 2... The toilet in the master hull stopped working. I snaked it... detached the hose from the pump to the holding tank... clear... Took off the housing, and checked the Joker valve... it was fine... water is leaking out when the system is taken apart.. but when it's together and the electric pump is run, the water swirls but doesn't exit the system. So, before I started replacing pumps (seeing as though I'm a newby at this) I decided it might make sense to hire someone to take a look at it, and walk me through what I should check... guy said he would do it.... and never showed up.... So... that head is still out of commission..

So, on since I'm on the subject... One of the toilets in the guest gull is an electroscan unit. The previous owners showed me how to use it. (we haven't used it at all) However, I did run the system a couple of times Just to keep it moving. Well, It smelled really bad, so I used a marine toilet cleaner that the owner had left in the vanity next to the toilet. I poured some in... and left it in while we left the boat for a few weeks. When I got back to the boat.. I was checking the toilets, and ran that toilet.. and it had a failure. To make a long story short... the cleaner, they left there has ammonia in it, and after reading the user guide, found out that using anything with ammonia in it will seriously damage the unit.So.. I fried that toilet. Now, we only have one working toilet (knock wood)

Then, today I went to fire up the engines.. (not sailing today, but I've been gone for a few weeks, and thought that I should check all systems).. well... neither engine would start. grrrrrrr…

Then, when I went out to the boat (we live in Kansas, and our boat is in Delaware), I went with 2 dozen specific jobs to get taken care of (or at least start the ball rolling)… 4 days later, my list has expanded to 96 items that need attention!!! Now, granted most of them are tiny... cupboard door that needs balancing... nailholes that need to be filled... water leak that needs to be traced, and fixed.. etc... But there are a few medium to big projects on the list. and still.... wow

And for those of you who will pipe in and say things like, "maybe you can't handle having a boat".. or "didn't you know about how much maintenance there would be".... I knew full well what I was getting into. But, knowing, and preparing, is one thing... but to actually be in it is another.

I have several friends who have also taken this journey and are anywhere from 3 months to 4 years ahead of us, and in talks with them, they have all gone through this as well. 2 bought brand new boats, that had major issues from the start, and had problems getting warranty work done.. my other 2 friends bought used boats. (much older and needing work when they bought them.) I felt absolutely SURE that we bought a very good well maintained used boat, and it is... And still we are feeling discouraged... or perhaps overwhelmed is a better word.

I think the most surprising part of this has been how fast, and how FAR the fall is once you realize your dream. I was hoping to have at least a little honeymoon period to enjoy how far we've come... But.. nope. So,to those still following along in my story.. even when you've done all your homework... and prepared fully for ownership... you will still be completely shocked at how much can go wrong so fast....

Anyway... that's my sob story and I'm sticking to it!!! btw... I still absolutely love my "most beautiful boat in the entire world.... " And I would rather spend one day on the boat, with all the system failures.. than spending a day without her...
Dont get discouraged, there always will be repairs on any vessel. The way to tackle it is one thing at the time, according to priority. I am a boat builder and in my experience a lot of problems , like toilets not emptying, are relatively easy to fix. You realy will have to come to know your boat , meaning how everything works.
Just watch out that you don't get sucked into none essential expensive replacement of sevicable equipment.
Your cat is only 8years old, basically a new boat. Most of your troubles are most likely because of poor maintenance schedules.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote