Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 16:48   #121

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: ....And Then Reality Hits

I'll spare you the detailed list of things I've fixed, upgraded and repaired in the last 14 months. The big ones were both heads, plumbing, etc. Solar, wiring, batteries. Electronics upgrade. New fuel tanks.

We bought remotely, 10 year old boat in very good condition. No one ever lived on board, which means a lot of little things needed attention.

The most shocking part to me has been fixing the new things that break, while your still trying to do upgrades and repair the things that were broke at time of purchase.

We bought in the ABC's so the travel is more difficult and expensive but the sailing area and weather are much better.

Make sure you have fun with the boat. You don't want to do all this and sell due to frustration. We have 'fun trips' and then I go alone for 'working trips'. Leaving Monday for a working trip.

Also, as everyone said, get comfortable with a list. And just because you pay for something, doesn't mean it will be done well. Usually, just done adequately and sometimes made worse.

Current list:
Propspeed sail drives and new props.
Replace depth transducer and sleeve for stbd side.
Bilge pump diode replacement and test.
Replace prop port with flex-o-fold.
Replace prop stbd with flex-o-fold.
Inspect/replace shaft seals on stbd sail drive.
Replace SD zinc port.
Replace SD zinc stbd.
Check oil seals on stbd engine.
Change 3YM30 oil stbd
Change 3YM30 oil port
Change SD20 oil port
Change SD20 oil stbd
Replace pencil zinc on SD20 port.
Replace pencil zinc on SD20 stbd.
Replace water hose on stbd engine.
Replace stbd engine mixing elbow.
Replace port engine mixing elbow.
Radar Ethernet cable needs ran.
Loudspeaker needs mounted and wired.
Yamaha Enduro E15dmh tune up: spark plugs, lower leg oil, internal and external anodes, etc.
Wifi Booster: clean up wire run.
Replace VHF with new N2K VHF.
Fix tears in vinyl around the boat.
Sail drive seal band has come off.
Move breakers from lower DC panel to upper sub panel for sailing items.
Make and install new negative ground cables for both engines.
Calibrate wind sensor.
Calibrate AP Flux compass.
Replace power winch fast switch assembly.
Replace port engine room bilge pump switches with new style.
Replace stbd engine room bilge pump switches with new style.
Measure engine RPM vs Yanmar display RPM.
Set RPM @idle to no higher than 850 rpm.
Wiring under solar panels needs 4200 to keep it attached.
Measure rig tension at the dock and while close reaching or beating.
Check for electrolysis before haul out and again after prop change
Install N2K compass
Install and calibrate N2K Maretron fuel level sensor for port side.
Install and calibrate N2K Maretron fuel level sensor for stbd side.
Relocate heavy items from aft to middle/fwd.
Relocate PFD and safety equipment to under stbd cockpit seat.
Wax Buff entire boat.
Bottom touch up paint.
Old 06-09-2019, 17:10   #122
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

There is no way you have read all these replies...what were you expecting to get from this post, just curious?

We also recently commissioned a two year old L450F for cruising. Boat problems seems 10x’s worse than on land and boats are also magical...o e minute their broke, and then it works...I hate boats but love traveling and living in the water...oh well...

L450 is awesome though👍👍👍
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 17:17   #123

I wouldn't be too quick to replace the heads with fresh water flush. Have the best of both by making them convertible. Put a Tee at the sink drain through hull, and another at the toilet inlet through hull and connect them with a hose and valve. When using the boat, open both through hulls and close the valve between and use raw water flushing. While pumping out before leaving for home, close the 2 trough hulls, open the valve between, fill the sink with water from the fawcet, and flush it through.
I live aboard, and use one head daily. It does not get smelly when being used. The other three have been flushed with fresh water, but when I have guests, I switch over to raw water flush, and switch back when they leave. No bad odor there either. But raw water if left in the hoses will turn black and smelly in less than a week. Btdt.
Jim
Jlp0217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 18:22   #124

Boat: 1991 Roberts 38 Offshore

Hang in there scarlet, it will get easier. Sadly the honeymoon for us newbies only lasts about a minute. We are 2 years ahead of you and still have a to do list as long as yours.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:34   #125

Welcome to boat ownership!

For the master head, swirls but won’t flush means the macerator is working but the hose to the holding tank is clogged.

Disconnect the hose from the back of the head, wrap some tape around the end of a cut off garden hose (i.e. without the threaded end), shove it in the head hose and hose clamp them together.

This part may take two people...Slowly add pressure to the garden hose while holding the hoses together. This will either push the blockage through to the holding tank or blow up your system in an inaccessible spot. I have done this a couple of times (master head, Lagoon 400) with no drama.

Good luck!
Beach View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:11   #126

I crewed on classic old wooden sailing yachts in the Caribbean. They sure are pretty, but they require full time crew. By the time I’d finish varnishing the brightwork it was time to start over again!! These modern day “plastic” boats are easy by comparison. Yeah, I’ve ended up with a 450 and there are issues but just know it could be worse...much worse!
TomBarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:46   #127

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Master head L400, when flushing takes longer, than usual, the automatic switch does not drain sufficiently, swirling and blubbering occurs, then:

Take a bottle 1l of muriatic acid, HCl or hydrochlorid acid, usually sold in a 9% to 20% dillution, drain the bowl off water, pour the acid in and drain it to the tube by the switch.

Wait 10 minutes, eventually you may see a backflow into the bowl, bubling and boiling. This is ok, the acid reacts with the calcium built up. Drain it back to the hose by the switch. Add then a liter of fresh water and pump it in to remove the acid from the macerator, pump and joke valve, but keep it into tbe hose for the rest. Add every 10.. 15 minutes some water and pump it into move the acid up to the tank. Flush with water after 30 minutes to remove the acid and the resolved calcium out to the tank and dump the tank.

Your system will work like a charm for the next 6..8 weeks. Then repeat the procedure.

HCl is not too dangerous for the environment, H+ ions are in the water anyway, Cl- ions too as part of the salt (NaCl), the reaction transforms calcium carbonate CaCO3, to CaCl, that dissolves in water and CO2, that exits as gas, and water H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach View View Post
Welcome to boat ownership!

For the master head, swirls but won’t flush means the macerator is working but the hose to the holding tank is clogged.

Disconnect the hose from the back of the head, wrap some tape around the end of a cut off garden hose (i.e. without the threaded end), shove it in the head hose and hose clamp them together.

This part may take two people...Slowly add pressure to the garden hose while holding the hoses together. This will either push the blockage through to the holding tank or blow up your system in an inaccessible spot. I have done this a couple of times (master head, Lagoon 400) with no drama.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:17   #128

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

I'm still following along and appreciate all the input, advice, and commiseration. We are in Alaska right now and my connectivity is limited. Will reply more fully when I get home.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 19:45   #129

I feel your pain. And, Learning Opportunities abound...
Been living on my elderly houseboat since June 21 (2019). It's small, humble, and oh-so-welcome. I live alone (64, woman) and have installed (by myself) a composting toilet and now learning about batteries. I've also grown healthy Yellow Gold tomatoes and lots of basil, plus mint.
If I can do this, you can do this (and it sounds as if you're way ahead of me in the ability to finance boat and fixes) so ... just do it! Kick up your heels, remind yourself what you wanted, and what you have...

take a read about my slow journey: https://deltahand.blogspot.com/
susgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 20:09   #130

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

What seemed reasonable to include by page three of responses, am now feeling a little foolish to include this link (Cruising Blues and Their Cure by Robert M Pirsig) after scanning the next seven to see if it was posted (not) so offer it as a thoughtful and timeless overview of 'reality'. Robert Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance) published this essay in ESQUIRE, 1997 because no cruising magazine had the budget to pay him for it.
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 21:37   #131

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Thanks for posting that. Some people sure can write !! Well, I guess I already knew that about him.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 00:58   #132

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GafferMate View Post
What seemed reasonable to include by page three of responses, am now feeling a little foolish to include this link (Cruising Blues and Their Cure by Robert M Pirsig) after scanning the next seven to see if it was posted (not) so offer it as a thoughtful and timeless overview of 'reality'. Robert Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance) published this essay in ESQUIRE, 1997 because no cruising magazine had the budget to pay him for it.
Nice writing, I've got the point why sailing magazines won't publish it, it is a lot of truth in it, but not helpful to sell new boats. Most of the time it's your attitude and not the problem itself that takes you down.

Everybody has to fight his own deamons.

Finally when starting as liveaboard cruiser or van life or explorer or what ever, you leave the comfort zone, the social surrounding, you cut the lines of a whole life behind you for a new dream or freedom or just a new episode.

It's all about expectations too. Is it the next thrill you are seeking or the tranquility of being finally left alone and escape the rat race, go back to the basics and adjust priorities in your life.

The experience will be as good or bad as you make it. The decision if an upcomming problem is a challenge or a misery is made by you.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:07   #133

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Nice writing,

The experience will be as good or bad as you make it. The decision if an upcomming problem is a challenge or a misery is made by you.
Some really low lows and really high highs. More extreme I'm thinking.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:18   #134

TL: DR

Cruising is not an escape (RP brings it up 10x for emphasis)
Need mo' money (6x)
Embrace depression (20x)

fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 16:44   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
So, almost exactly a month ago, I posted "for all you dreamers"... About how after many years of dreaming, we bought a 2011 Lagoon 450.. "dreams come true'.. right?

Well.. 4 weeks later, and reality hits. about a minute after taking possession of our boat (one which our very thorough surveyor declared in above average condition... ) The generator wouldn't start. It was 110 in the shade, and we had no air conditioning. We thought it was a bad charger for the generator battery.. we bought a replacement one. US, and our boat is wired Euro, and then we hired an electrician to MacGyver it to make it work. Electrician came yesterday, and.. it may still be a starter, but we have a bad inverter that needs to be fixed before he can test it... Did I say "fix it"? I should have said 'replace'... B-O-A-T

That was problem one.
Problem 2... The toilet in the master hull stopped working. I snaked it... detached the hose from the pump to the holding tank... clear... Took off the housing, and checked the Joker valve... it was fine... water is leaking out when the system is taken apart.. but when it's together and the electric pump is run, the water swirls but doesn't exit the system. So, before I started replacing pumps (seeing as though I'm a newby at this) I decided it might make sense to hire someone to take a look at it, and walk me through what I should check... guy said he would do it.... and never showed up.... So... that head is still out of commission..

So, on since I'm on the subject... One of the toilets in the guest gull is an electroscan unit. The previous owners showed me how to use it. (we haven't used it at all) However, I did run the system a couple of times Just to keep it moving. Well, It smelled really bad, so I used a marine toilet cleaner that the owner had left in the vanity next to the toilet. I poured some in... and left it in while we left the boat for a few weeks. When I got back to the boat.. I was checking the toilets, and ran that toilet.. and it had a failure. To make a long story short... the cleaner, they left there has ammonia in it, and after reading the user guide, found out that using anything with ammonia in it will seriously damage the unit.So.. I fried that toilet. Now, we only have one working toilet (knock wood)

Then, today I went to fire up the engines.. (not sailing today, but I've been gone for a few weeks, and thought that I should check all systems).. well... neither engine would start. grrrrrrr…

Then, when I went out to the boat (we live in Kansas, and our boat is in Delaware), I went with 2 dozen specific jobs to get taken care of (or at least start the ball rolling)… 4 days later, my list has expanded to 96 items that need attention!!! Now, granted most of them are tiny... cupboard door that needs balancing... nailholes that need to be filled... water leak that needs to be traced, and fixed.. etc... But there are a few medium to big projects on the list. and still.... wow

And for those of you who will pipe in and say things like, "maybe you can't handle having a boat".. or "didn't you know about how much maintenance there would be".... I knew full well what I was getting into. But, knowing, and preparing, is one thing... but to actually be in it is another.

I have several friends who have also taken this journey and are anywhere from 3 months to 4 years ahead of us, and in talks with them, they have all gone through this as well. 2 bought brand new boats, that had major issues from the start, and had problems getting warranty work done.. my other 2 friends bought used boats. (much older and needing work when they bought them.) I felt absolutely SURE that we bought a very good well maintained used boat, and it is... And still we are feeling discouraged... or perhaps overwhelmed is a better word.

I think the most surprising part of this has been how fast, and how FAR the fall is once you realize your dream. I was hoping to have at least a little honeymoon period to enjoy how far we've come... But.. nope. So,to those still following along in my story.. even when you've done all your homework... and prepared fully for ownership... you will still be completely shocked at how much can go wrong so fast....

Anyway... that's my sob story and I'm sticking to it!!! btw... I still absolutely love my "most beautiful boat in the entire world.... " And I would rather spend one day on the boat, with all the system failures.. than spending a day without her...
I bought a boat that had sat for 15 years in a field. It took me 2 and a half years to get it cruise worthy. I did not replace the oil cooler...it failed in the middle of the Panama Canal. The backstay chainplate failed 200 miles north of Cartagena, Columbia. Be thankful these things are getting wrung out dockside.
Tom Emery is offline   Reply With Quote