Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2012, 17:14   #1

Boat: Still Planning
Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show

Hi Folks,

Anybody else plan on attending this? Looks like pretty much just smaller cats there but should be fun. I was hoping there wouldbean Antares 44i on display but doesn't look like it. Would also like to check out a Lagoon 450 but again nada. There is supposed to be an Isara 50 on display. Look and seem great but I imagine they are very pricey.

Also, how does one go about getting hooked up for a demo ride? Are these always a day after the show?

Thanks in Advance,

Guy & Sherry
guyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 14:07   #2

Re: Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver View Post
Hi Folks,

Anybody else plan on attending this? Looks like pretty much just smaller cats there but should be fun. I was hoping there wouldbean Antares 44i on display but doesn't look like it. Would also like to check out a Lagoon 450 but again nada. There is supposed to be an Isara 50 on display. Look and seem great but I imagine they are very pricey.

Also, how does one go about getting hooked up for a demo ride? Are these always a day after the show?

Thanks in Advance,

Guy & Sherry
Pretty please??

Come on folks. I have read here on threads about people having demo rides lined up prior to the shows. I just want to know how they arranged it? Do you just contact the manufacturer reps or do you have to know somebody with an inside track? You guys know alot so I am confident that someone here can help on this.

The real reason we want to know is that we think we would like to retire on a cat. Our experience is only with power boats and have never set foot on any sailboat. We are booked on a cruise ship for next January that we are thinking about cancelling in order to book a week of sailing lessons, but would like to go out on a catamaran to make sure that we will enjoy it. It sure looks like the life, but it would be a very expensive guess.

Thanks,

Guy & Sherry
Old 22-03-2012, 17:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Hey Guyver, if you swing by Sailaway Catamarans in Edgewater ( 10 minutes from the boat show) we are having a brokerage show on the same days as the Annapolis show. The show will be all catamarans. I expect somewhere around 15 or more cats will be there for you too board and inspect. There will also be free demo rides on the weekend. If you are new to cats it's a great way to see alot of makes and models in one spot. Be there for live music, food and beach party on Saturday!
Sid at SailAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 18:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
Hey Guyver, if you swing by Sailaway Catamarans in Edgewater ( 10 minutes from the boat show) we are having a brokerage show on the same days as the Annapolis show. The show will be all catamarans. I expect somewhere around 15 or more cats will be there for you too board and inspect. There will also be free demo rides on the weekend. If you are new to cats it's a great way to see alot of makes and models in one spot. Be there for live music, food and beach party on Saturday!

Thanks Sid. I checked out your website and will be calling to book a demo ride. Hoping to get on a Lagoon 440.
Old 27-04-2012, 19:27   #5

I went to the Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show today, Friday.
It started out windy and cold but the weather turned sunny and warm in the afternoon, perfect weather for a boat show.
I visited Sailaway on the South River around 10:30 am, had a warm welcome from Tom, the owner's father. They have a unique collection of cats, some of which I'd never seen: a Jaguar 36, Wildcat 35, Leopard 45, Endeavor 36, Island Spirit 40. It's always good to actually see the boats that I see mentioned on the sites.
I drove over to the Annapolis show on Ego Ally and had no problem parking just over the bridge in Eastport. There were no lines but there were also far fewer boats and displays, maybe not even 1/8 the number at the normal show.
I swear by Maui Jim sunglasses and spent time catching up on the newest lenses at the Maui Jim booth. I learned that MJ will not allow anyone to either raise or lower the prices on their glasses, so I won't waste time looking for discounts.
I enjoyed talking to Bob Ross, the rep for Leopard Cats and he gave me a thorough education on the history of the Leopards, Moorings and Sunsail cats. Show offer on the Leopard 44 is $409,000. The brochure indicates about a 10% discount off of base price on all the cats.
Valiant 50: I'm not a big fan of double enders but if you do go to the show you should check out the big red world cruiser offered by Rogue Wave and Bernie. "Erin Brie" is a 2001 Valiant asking $499k, like new and just a beautiful machine. Even better was meeting the owners who recently finished a 7 year circumnavigation.
They are an inspiration, truly, and I wish I had their names (someone can fill that in). Their story of tossing it all, selling it all and taking off was impressive. Check out that boat if you have the time.
Nice Tartan 4600, 1996, centerboard that appears newly rebuilt/restored for around $300k.
Other than that there was little to see except for!!! I almost forgot, Matt Rutherford!
I bumped into Matt and his boat and tossed $20 into his bucket for CRAB. I couldn't be in Annapolis to greet him last Sunday and it was an honor to be able to help him out with his cause. He's a really easy going guy and you'd never know that he just stepped back on land after almost year at sea. He looks great but his boat looks the worse for wear and tear. What a hoot.
All-in-all, I think the Show was worth the visit.
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 05:00   #6
Marine Service Provider

Yado, did you miss one of our docks when you were down there? We also have a Lagoon 440, a Fountaine Pajot 40, a beautiful Prout 39 Escale, a Fountaine Pajot 46, two Gemini's and two Island Spirits. Tom's dad is a great guy, glad you met him. One of the nicest people you would want to know. We're doing demos on the FP 40 and the Lagoon 440 today and Sunday.The 40 leaves at 1:00 and the 440 leaves at 2:00.
The boat show in Annapolis is smaller then the October show, but then again it is the first one they've put together in the spring. There was a lot of hard work put into it so come on down and climb on some boats! While you're there do as Yado did and drop off a donation to CRAB. It's a worthy LOCAL cause. I'll be on the Lagoon 440 at the show so stop by and say "hi". Love meeting fellow forum members. Smooth seas...Sid
Old 28-04-2012, 14:50   #7

Re: Visit the Sailaway Catamaran Booth at the Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show

When I stopped by the Sailaway Catamaran booth at the boat show it was packed, looked really sharp and the boats looked even more inviting. I wanted to meet with Sid, I had emailed him and he wrote back right away (= excellent customer service).
Of all the booths I visited, there's was really popular. Everyone was having a great time and since I live nearby, I now know where to catch up with them on the South River.
I did walk around and look at the Sailaway cats at the show and they are absolutely worth looking at; "Lagoon 440, a Fountaine Pajot 40, a beautiful Prout 39 Escale, a Fountaine Pajot 46, two Gemini's and two Island Spirits."
Sid did email me and invite me to sail on their demo boats (thanks Sid) and I'd definitely accept the offer if I had the time.
Tomorrow, Sunday, is the last day and even if the show is small, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. It was a good way to mingle with the sailing community and to see some excellent new, and proven (used -), vessels.
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 15:20   #8

Nice show. I had a great time
Pipersix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 18:39   #9

we attended the boat show and had a great time. Thanks to the good guys at Sailaway Catamarans, we were able to demo both a Lagoon 440 and an FP 44 Orana.

When we went out on the Lagoon 440, there was about 20 knots of wind. Being this was the 1st time we were ever on any sailboat, we were amazed at how quick and responsive the boat was. This really increased the fever for getting one of our own. Realistically probably still 1.5 to 2 years before pulling the trigger.

Special kudos to Sid for letting me know about the demo rides. Both he and Tommy answered my many emails to them and set things up for us. Couldn't be happier with how it all turned out.

As for the show itself, i thought it was great. i can't compare it to the fall show as i have not been to one. There were plenty of nice boats to check out and a pretty good selection of vendor displays. I think what impressed me the most was the knowledge they all seemed to possess.Any questions I came up with got answered.

I guess we will have to go back in October and check out the big show.

Guy
Old 30-04-2012, 05:12   #10
Marine Service Provider

Guy it was my pleasure to meet you and your lovely wife at the show. This has to be the best part of my job, meeting great people and helping them to realize their dream. Thanks to all that supported the show and enjoyed all those that boarded the 440...Sid
Old 01-05-2012, 11:06   #11

Boat: islandpacket

I had a great time there. Bought a few things at the flea market. I had been to the flea market before and this move to the docks is great, but it was a poor display. it would be great to see it grow.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:24   #12

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief

I attended Sunday on my way to Salisbury, MD. Really enjoyed the Leopard 39..AGAIN (walked aboard first in Miami). The Lagoon 400 was nice too. I have to say..the price, fit & finish on the Leopard 39 was excellent.

Enjoyed the time with Robin from Catamaran Company..he was very informative and helpful.
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, boat show, sailboat