Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2010, 14:49   #1

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
Antigua on May 4th, 2010

I'll be on a cruise on the Caribbean Princess and I'll be in Antigua on May 4th, 2010. I was wondering if anyone living on a catamaran will be on the island at this date. Maybe we could meet and talk about what the life of a cruiser is. My husband and I are thinking about moving in the Caribbeans on a catamaran in 10 or 15 years. We would love to meet someone who is living this life and learn more about it.

We will also be in St-Thomas on the 3rd. Maybe it would be a better place to meet someone. I don't know.

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 08:46   #2

Anyone wants to share about their experience?

Old 19-03-2010, 08:28   #3

Anyone???

Old 20-03-2010, 14:20   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Try and reach us when you get to Antigua. We may still be here and are always happy to talk about the cruising life.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 14:37   #5

Boat: Dean 400, 40' catamaran, Daruma
Over the summer you can contact us in Ontario, Canada and we could fill you in although we are only aboard a short time and only intend to do winters on the catamaran. We just came up through the West Indies from Grenada, currently in Florida and plan to be back on the St. Lawrence in 3 or 4 weeks.
Dave
dlockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 16:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
Try and reach us when you get to Antigua. We may still be here and are always happy to talk about the cruising life.

Fair Winds,
Mike
Thanks, I'll get in touch with you during the last week of April to see if something can be arrange. We are going to be in Antigua for only 10 hours on the 4th. I hope we can meet!

Old 20-03-2010, 16:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlockhart View Post
Over the summer you can contact us in Ontario, Canada and we could fill you in although we are only aboard a short time and only intend to do winters on the catamaran. We just came up through the West Indies from Grenada, currently in Florida and plan to be back on the St. Lawrence in 3 or 4 weeks.
Dave
Let me know when you'll be around Montreal, I live 20 minutes away. It would be nice to meet you!!

Old 20-03-2010, 17:24   #8

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missou View Post
I'll be on a cruise on the Caribbean Princess and I'll be in Antigua on May 4th, 2010. I was wondering if anyone living on a catamaran will be on the island at this date. Maybe we could meet and talk about what the life of a cruiser is. My husband and I are thinking about moving in the Caribbeans on a catamaran in 10 or 15 years. We would love to meet someone who is living this life and learn more about it.

We will also be in St-Thomas on the 3rd. Maybe it would be a better place to meet someone. I don't know.
In Antigua the cruise ships call at the city of St John's on the NW side. Almost all cruisers are in Falmoth and English harbors on the south side. A good place to mingle is Shirly Hights on Thursday or Sunday evenings. Many cruise ships taxi people to this event.

In St Thomas, three cruise ships dock daily at Charlotte Amalie, and two more dock the other side of Water Island. The ships arrive after daylight and off-load everyone to wander the many shops and return by three in the afternoon and all of the cruise ships are gone by 5:30. This mind-numbing excercise happens seven days a week. Most cruisiers only stop here to check-in and/or resupply.

John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 10:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
In Antigua the cruise ships call at the city of St John's on the NW side. Almost all cruisers are in Falmoth and English harbors on the south side. A good place to mingle is Shirly Hights on Thursday or Sunday evenings. Many cruise ships taxi people to this event.

In St Thomas, three cruise ships dock daily at Charlotte Amalie, and two more dock the other side of Water Island. The ships arrive after daylight and off-load everyone to wander the many shops and return by three in the afternoon and all of the cruise ships are gone by 5:30. This mind-numbing excercise happens seven days a week. Most cruisiers only stop here to check-in and/or resupply.

John
Thanks John for the information about Antigua. I was there in 2004 and the last time last December and I last really sick. I didn't go too far from the ship on both occasion. I have no problem with taxiing to the south side of the island to meet someone though.

This will be my 8th cruise and my 5th time in St-Thomas. I've always docked at Havensight but this time, I am docking at Crown Bay. My last stop there was last December and Hubby and I walked all the way to Crown Bay to see the Oasis of the Seas... What a huge ship!!! Too big for me...

Do you think I could meet someone on St-John's island instead?

Old 21-03-2010, 11:30   #10

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
The yachts are in Falmouth and English Harbors, as stated. Since the cruise ships are usually in during daylight hours only... taxi or mini-bus (way more fun and about USD5) to Falmouth Harbor. Tuck into lunch on the pier at the YC. Walk over to Nelson's Dockyard for lunch. Water taxi across EH to the beach bar on the other side. You'll meet plenty of cruisers.

Have fun.

Did you read May Vanderhoof's An Embarrassment of Mangoes?
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 12:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
The yachts are in Falmouth and English Harbors, as stated. Since the cruise ships are usually in during daylight hours only... taxi or mini-bus (way more fun and about USD5) to Falmouth Harbor. Tuck into lunch on the pier at the YC. Walk over to Nelson's Dockyard for lunch. Water taxi across EH to the beach bar on the other side. You'll meet plenty of cruisers.

Have fun.

Did you read May Vanderhoof's An Embarrassment of Mangoes?
Thanks a lot I did not get to read May Vanderhoof's An Embarrassment of Mangoes. I am presently reading something about it. Thanks again!

Old 22-03-2010, 14:18   #12

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
There are many good reads regarding the cruising life. Of course, contemporary stories appear in various magazines regularly. Friends are presently under way on a 35 ft catamaran. They report it is different from what they expected and more fun than they imagined.

In 2001, I did a cruise ship week and stopped in Antigua, among other places. This is my opinion only but... I would get off the ship as quickly as possible, jump into the local jitny or taxi and head to the nearest marina for a meal and walk around. You'll have a blast but will miss the overpriced jewelry. The local drivers all know the marinas. The yachties are friendly.

Tortola, go to Nanny Cay Marina.
Antigua, as described plus a stop in at the Catamaran Club Marina if time allows
St Lucia, Rodney Bay
Grenada, L'Anse aux Espines and the YC are both nice but quite far apart. I have not seen the new Port Louis Marina. Your report, please?
St Maarten, the SXM YC by the bridge in Simpson Bay Lagoon and wander the waterfront... Soggy Dollar, Lady C, Jimbo's to name a few.
Barbados, go to the orchid garden as there is no yacht scene to speak of. Skip the Boat Yard Beach Bar.

Report back?

My two cents.
Norm in Boston
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda