Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 07:12   #1
cruiser

Any Advice for Consideration of Multi's?

Hey Guys,

I don't venture into this area often... since I have always considered myself a monohull guy (due to boat prices).

However, I may be seeing the light today.

I stumbled upon some smaller cats that, while not luxurious, seem to offer a reasonable amount of enclosed space for 2 people to cruise in comfot (although probably not in style... ha ha)

So I put it to you experts in the world of multihulls... what do I look for in terms of a small/cheap multihull for a circumnavigation that hopefully will take the better part of a lifetime?

What are the characteristics of a multi that make it seaworthy?

What makes them fast? What sort of average and top end hull speeds can I expect in 30-35ft cats of older design?

I am looking at multis from 30 feet (Iroquois) to maybe the 36 foot Prouts. We need simplicity and safety for extended cruising. Any thoughts? Budget should be bottom of the barrel.

Looks mean nothing, design and structural integrity mean everything.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 09:58   #2
cruiser

I feel like I asked this question incorrectly.

30 views... no opinions.

I thought for *sure* Rick would mention something about the Catalacs!

After all, this is the type of cat I'm looking at, except I was hoping to get some extra sailing performance out of it.
Old 17-01-2008, 10:11   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It has been my understanding that anything under 35' starts getting pretty cramped, especially in hight and storage. As well they usually only have out board motors.

The rest I'll leave up to the experts............_-/)
Old 17-01-2008, 12:08   #4

I don't know much about US built cats, except they seem to be very conservative in their approach. For a cheapish circumnavigator which is well built and tough I'd look at a Prout, as you mentioned. It's not going to be fast, but will carry your gear. I've read that more Prouts have circumnavigated than any other cat.

You might also look at the kind of boat the Bumfuzzles used - it got them there.

If you were in Aus it would be easier - you could look at the Snell Easy range, or some of the Simpsons etc.

if you want a fast boat you look for light weight, and high length/beam ratios. But that usually involves more expensive composites, and modern designs. (cost)
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 12:19   #5

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Also have a look at cats designed by Eric Lerouge (Erik Lerouge International), very seaworthy and also faster than those mentioned before. The Cite D'Aleth II might fit your bill, depending on your space requirements.
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 12:22   #6

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Sorry, Eric's correct website address is Erik Lerouge International
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 12:35   #7

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
I've got a 40' Solaris Sunstream, very roomy, got her for a good price. There are a few of them around, also a 35' model( I believe). I have seen them priced as low as 100-125K (relatively inexpensive for a cat). I don't know about others but mine is very well travelled. Over a 15 year period she started in England, went through the med (spain, france, israel, turkey, malta and others) then to the caribean and finally up to the U.S. When I bought her and had her surveyed she was in excellent shape. Not the fastest cat, but she is sturdy and will get you where you are going.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 13:47   #8

Sean,
I guess land life didn't last long.....
A guy here has an Iroquis 30. It's cramped at best
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 16:18   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Sean,
I guess land life didn't last long.....
A guy here has an Iroquis 30. It's cramped at best

Ha ha ha... land life is great and all, but we do miss the water. Remember, our main consideration for selling was not having to pay our nearly $100K loan. Now we can look at the water again, from a properly financed perspective... and water is still looking good!

I'll check the links. Thanks for the input so far.

Actually, we will keep the "land boat" and get a small cat if things work out as planned.
Old 17-01-2008, 16:36   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Maybe the cherokee would fit the bill. Strong, seaworthy, good load carying capability, and not a bad performer. Also very roomy.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 08:39   #11
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I feel like I asked this question incorrectly.

30 views... no opinions.

I thought for *sure* Rick would mention something about the Catalacs!
OK...OK... I'll bite. Although I did respond to two of your other threads on the same subject (LOL) and PM'd you.

I think you should PM me about a 12 meter Catalac that is on the hard here in Florida. The timing's about right and it could be the deal you're looking for. Specs, brochures and photos of the models are on my web site.

Sean, you've done a boat restoration, so you're an expert and need no advice from us on what to look for as to boat condition. I wish I knew more about that vintage Prout. I don't know how they sail or handle. Overall, older British cats (like mine) are built like battleships. Heavy and slow by today's standards but they age gracefully.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 11:16   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
We need simplicity and safety for extended cruising. Any thoughts? Budget should be bottom of the barrel.
At the risk of upsetting any owners......what about a Wharram?

I recall that you are "useful with a screwdriver" , so maybe even a "doer upper" would not faze you?...or even a new build????? ......in any case for normal ones it seems that price wise they are at the lower end of the Cat price list.........no doubt cos' the "price" paid is on the accomadation front....but maybe just a matter of altering ones' way of living - and with a deck tent in warmer climes (Camping afloat) the compromise may not need to be that great.........

Plenty have travelled far and wide so I would have no great doubts on the seaworthiness front, albeit I guess yer would need to learn how to sail them within their limits / to extract their best.....not meant to be the fastest cats on the market, but you in a hurry to get anywhere? and in any case they must be on at least a par with monos.......

However I do get the impression (whether deserved or not) that they do attract those on a minimal or non existent budget and get maintained accordingly - which on a home built plywood boat is perhaps not an ideal situation - but just a question of buying well / knowing what one is looking at.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 05:28   #13

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Try the MultihullWorld brokerage. They have a good old snowgoose 37. Interior is excellent but all in dark wood, teak I think, and good as new. Seems dark inside, like a mono, but so much beam. The hulls are the original narrow type with narrow berths. This makes for good sailing for two to three people with one on watch.
Price was 50k sterling and apart from a few updates and survey it looked ready to go. This is the standard all others are measured against, there are faster, better accomodation, newer. Unfortunately the wife won't accept the dark interior. Good Luck.