Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2022, 17:17   #16

Boat: Edel 35
Re: Any Edelcat owners out there?

Before buying my current Edel 35 I tried contacting the owner of Esprit thru sailboatlistings . I gave up after some repeated attempts and no reply . I thought the boat was sold and listing not removed from sailboatlistings, which seems to happen quite often.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 16:46   #17

Boat: 1988 Edelcat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatLove View Post
Before buying my current Edel 35 I tried contacting the owner of Esprit thru sailboatlistings . I gave up after some repeated attempts and no reply . I thought the boat was sold and listing not removed from sailboatlistings, which seems to happen quite often.
The former owner of my boat was friends with Ron, the former owner of esprit. I talked to the current owner about a year ago. He was in California, and didn't seem very interested in showing the boat unless he had a financial commitment since it would involve a flight across the country. He also mentioned repeatedly that he had not hauled the boat, or inspected the bottom. That plus the fact he paid 15k for it, and wanted 30k firm led me to continue my search. I believe he is a member on here, maybe named multihuller or something like that. My understanding from the previous owner of my boat is esprit probably needs some fiberglass work on the bottom and keels, but it could be a good boat for the right person. Esprit is still sitting in Labelle in the same slip as the pictures on sailbboatlistings, so I assume it has not sold. We saw another edelcat 35 in Stuart fl yesterday, to my surprise. Maybe they are more common than I thought.

Has anybody on this thread removed a beam clamp? I am curious what I am in for, and what is insulating the clamps from the beam if anything.
Mountainsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 16:33   #18

I don't recall anything insulating the beam clamps from the beams but I didn't see any signs of corrosion either . Being both aluminum I didn't worry too much. I didn't see any corrosion between the stainless steel bolts and beams either . I only removed the fiberglass round lids at the beam ends and looked inside but did not remove the clamps or the bolts.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:49   #19

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
I don't recall anything insulating the beam clamps from the beams but I didn't see any signs of corrosion either . Being both aluminum I didn't worry too much. I didn't see any corrosion between the stainless steel bolts and beams either . I only removed the fiberglass round lids at the beam ends and looked inside but did not remove the clamps or the bolts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	257388
So there was a gasket on them that you can probably make. If you worry about corrosion use lanocate or similar
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:00   #20

My Edel has those gaskets and I don't worry about corrosion , there is no sign of it there. I was answering Mountainsailing who was asking about insulating the clamp from the beam. Those pieces of rubber look like they're insulating the clamps from the fiberglass though, not from the beam.

BTW, why is your name ending in proa when you own a cat? Just curious.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:13   #21

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
My Edel has those gaskets and I don't worry about corrosion , there is no sign of it there. I was answering Mountainsailing who was asking about insulating the clamp from the beam. Those pieces of rubber look like they're insulating the clamps from the fiberglass though, not from the beam.

BTW, why is your name ending in proa when you own a cat? Just curious.

I used to build and sail pacific proas and Philippine paraws. I love the Harry Proas.

Had plans to build a self designed 40 ft proa but lack of time got in the way, and would have to dedicate 18 months to the project full time.
Proas Can be sold for the material costs plus teaching the buyer how to sail it properly, so a bad investment with limited market.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote