Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2022, 06:50   #1

Boat: 1988 Edelcat 35
Any Edelcat owners out there?

We recently purchased an Edelcat 35, and I am wondering if there are any owners of similar boats on this forum. We are planning on hauling soon to take care of new bottom paint and rigging, and I would like to rebed the clamps and inspect the beams for corrosion. Does anybody have experience with edelcat beam clamps? We love the boat, but they don't seem to be very common in the states and finding info has been a challenge.
Thanks!
Mountainsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 20:53   #2

Boat: Edel 35
Re: Any Edelcat owners out there?

I bought one a couple of months ago and plan some similar haul out and repairs. Interested in the keels construction and rudder blades, in case they may need rebuilding .
BTW , new to posting on this forum but have been reading for many years .
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 05:15   #3

Sounds like we may be able to share some knowledge as we work thru similar projects. My understanding is that the keels are part of the mold with the rest of the hull and are not cored. They are not sacrificial. As for the rudder blades, I am not sure about construction, but I have a profesional mold for the rudders that came with the boat... Have you inspected your dolphin Stryker? Mine is corroded and has a small crack in the baseplate. I'm planning on having one machined to replace the broken part, but I am not sure what material to spec. The stock one appears to be cast, but I am not sure what material they used. It appears to be the same material used for the clamps.

Old 22-04-2022, 16:10   #4

My dolphin striker is ok, the pitting is just cosmetic . I can't picture the main beam flexing and breaking the cable, at least not with the boat at the dock.
Where are you planning to haul out?
Old 22-04-2022, 16:58   #5

Boat: EDELCAT33

I have an EDELCAT33 so a bit older. There a couple of websites in Drench for the old EDELCAT33. I will look them up and report back. They are in french
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 18:34   #6

my Edel35 is from 1991. It has a front beam with the usual inverted delphin striker, I've seen others with no front crossbeam, just a wire like beach cats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edel35_1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	256450  
Old 23-04-2022, 16:16   #7

Very nice. I think we are heading for the Chesapeake to haul, most likely Herrington harbour in MD unless we find something better... Mine is an 88, and has the front stay on a bridle plus a folding bowsprit for the screacher and spinnaker. I like the visibility, and the sail doesn't sweep the tramp so you can tack with people hanging out up there, but yours carries a larger foresail, and is probably a bit more efficient. Do you have the larger rig with the rotating mast? I think they called it the turbo rig. The 33 is sweet, have any pics? I have never seen one in person.
Old 24-04-2022, 08:30   #8

My Edel 35 has a regular non rotating mast, which is fine given the boat is not a raceboat. Another advantage of the Edel35 rig is the airdraft is only 49ft .
Old 24-04-2022, 17:57   #9

The air draft was a major selling point for me as well. We are heading thru the Okachobee waterway this week, and I am hoping I still have a vhf antenna after the 49' railroad bridge. I climbed the mast and measured about 47' to the water from the top of the stick... plus a 3' antenna, it is going to be close.
Old 24-04-2022, 19:04   #10

Boat: EDELCAT33
Any Edelcat owners out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsailing View Post
Very nice. I think we are heading for the Chesapeake to haul, most likely Herrington harbour in MD unless we find something better... Mine is an 88, and has the front stay on a bridle plus a folding bowsprit for the screacher and spinnaker. I like the visibility, and the sail doesn't sweep the tramp so you can tack with people hanging out up there, but yours carries a larger foresail, and is probably a bit more efficient. Do you have the larger rig with the rotating mast? I think they called it the turbo rig. The 33 is sweet, have any pics? I have never seen one in person.

You are probably talking of the “new 33”
Mine is the ancient 33
By the way, get a code zero If you can, worth every penny

Name:	IMG_5281.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	256574
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 20:50   #11

My boat came with some sort of an asymmetrical spinnaker that rigs on the bowsprit and a HArken furler. I didn't yet have the chance to use that sail .

Looking from inside the cabin after removing the floor boards there is a shallow keel sump, maybe 8 inches deep or less . That's where the bilge pumps live . Below that the keels are plugged so don't know what's in there. Given that it's sealed from above I'd be surprised if it weren't foam cored and most likely waterlogged.
Old 25-04-2022, 04:11   #12

The keel area on my 35 is accessible under the bathroom floor grate, and is probably 18 inches deep or so. My boat does not have permanent electric bilge pumps, it has 2 manual pumps that are worked from the walkways, plus a movable 3600gph crash pump. Is your 35 the blue one formally named esprit? I know a little bit of history on that hull from the previous owner of my boat...

That 33 is awesome! I didn't know that there was a newer 33, but I always liked the 80s pop top version. I agree about the code zero, it is an excellent addition and keeps the boat moving nicely when the wind is light.
Old 25-04-2022, 09:45   #13

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsailing View Post
The air draft was a major selling point for me as well. We are heading thru the Okachobee waterway this week, and I am hoping I still have a vhf antenna after the 49' railroad bridge. I climbed the mast and measured about 47' to the water from the top of the stick... plus a 3' antenna, it is going to be close.

Just in case you haven’t seen this.
https://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/currentLL.shtml
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 15:41   #14

My boat was named Wildfire .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	portsternside.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	256641  
Old 28-04-2022, 17:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedgm View Post
Just in case you haven’t seen this.
https://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/currentLL.shtml
Thanks! The extra foot from low water levels may have helped, but we made it under the 49' bridge today without issue. Wildfire looks great! I like your hard top. We actually stopped for gas in Labelle yesterday, and Esprit was still sitting in the marina there. If anybody is looking for a cheap edelcat 35 it may be a good project.