Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 05:56   #1

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE
Any feedback from Miami boat show and news on Antares?

Just wondering from those who went to the boat show">Miami boat show if they:

Heard any new information on what is or has happened to Antares - other than what was last posted in the Antares forum on CF as nothing has been posted since October 2016

Secondly would be good to hear of peoples impressions of the show as normally at least one or two members of CF post something
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 06:10   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Any feedback from Miami boat show and news on Antares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
Just wondering from those who went to the Miami boat show if they:

Heard any new information on what is or has happened to Antares - other than what was last posted in the Antares forum on CF as nothing has been posted since October 2016

Secondly would be good to hear of peoples impressions of the show as normally at least one or two members of CF post something
Don't know anything about Antares, sorry. But I attended the show Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. In past years I spent most of my time looking at boats, but this was was different as I have the boat now, and spent more time looking at gear. Things like solar panels, refrigeration, and all the other cool gear that goes into a modern cruising boat. Whether we actually need it all, or just want it, that's debatable.

I attended a number of the tent seminars, including ones by Pam Wall and Liza Copeland, which I found very informative. Bob Williams gave a very informative talk on offshore energy management.

The main reason for going to the show was an all-day couples cruising seminar on Saturday by Jeff and Jean Grossman - my wife and I enjoyed it and learned a lot. My only critique was that it spent a lot of time on selecting an d buying a boat, a stage my wife and I already went through. But most of the other participant were still in the looking stage, so it probably met their needs more than ours.

So Thursday and Saturday were all at Strictly Sail, and Sunday we went over to bigger part of the show at Miami Marine Stadium. Got to meet quite a few vendors that I either had spoken to on the phone, or whose products I was very interested in.

All in all, I enjoyed the show, and got what I was looking for out of it. Strictly Sail was probably a little smaller than usual, but still good in my opinion.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 06:27   #3

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Attended Thurs-Sunday. Enjoyed the show and learned a lot. Biggest takeaway was perception vs reality. We were all but decided on ordering the FPNew 47; but after touring the Helia and Saba we discovered we could not purchase a boat unseen. Now planning on attending the Cannes show where we can spend time on all hulls under consideration including FP47, L450/520 and the newly announced L480.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 07:43   #4

Boat: Hunter, 31 (1983)

Went on Saturday to look at boats. Was a little disappointed as most of the builders brought just their bigger boats. Liked the new Leopard 40, and the Seawind 1160 lite.
pateco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:26   #5

Boat: H280

As an amateur tire kicker, we got on as many Cats as we could in one day. A couple of them 2x. I was last at Newport show last year. Mainly looking at production cats. As expected, my SO liked the Lagoons. I initially was leaning towards FP, but, need to kick a lot more tires.

Met some nice interesting peeps. Had a chance to have some boat discussions with a delivery capt. He did not a lot of good things to say about my initial choices of cats. His opinion and experience, but, it was good to hear.

Nice to get on some brand new boats. The L450 was a nice floating Condo. For some reason, didn't like the FP H44 as much as i had last year (compared to Lagoon).
Magic1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:32   #6

Boat: Hunter, 31 (1983)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1st View Post
Met some nice interesting peeps. Had a chance to have some boat discussions with a delivery capt. He did not a lot of good things to say about my initial choices of cats. His opinion and experience, but, it was good to hear.
Which ones did he not like?
Old 28-02-2017, 09:34   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Attended for one day only, Friday, with the sole intent of looking at the new Leopards. The Admiral and I liked the L45 but truthfully was unaware of the increase in draft until reading all the Boat Show posts on another CF thread.

Not to worry though, don't have that much spare cash floating around right now anyway. We are pretty set on a 97 L45 and in the process of negotiating and finalizing!

We did visit SV Libra/Capt Ryan who attended Sail Miami to show people the vessel and explain their weekly charter program. It is designed for those wanting to experience 4 and 5 day passages, some of which can be in pretty challenging weather.
Old 28-02-2017, 10:16   #8

Boat: H280

Productions at the bottom (Lag, FP, and Lep). Lagoon being the worst due to they way that they are built and his experience with ones that have a few years on them.
Magic1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 13:19   #9

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Was the Lagoon 48 officially announced there?
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 13:45   #10

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbroTheDude View Post
Was the Lagoon 48 officially announced there?
Not "officially" Saw a cell phone pic and was told to expect more info April/May. I believe Cannes will be the first opportunity to see both the FP47 and L48.

Biggest let down was L48 will start as a flybridge....was hoping against hope for a Sport top.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 15:46   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Calm Seas,
Can you give the forum an update on the FP 47 after you see it. I sent off for a brochure a couple days ago. Interesting dingy lift. I wonder how big and heavy it can accommodate. I'm not in the market now but maybe in 3 or 4 years.

I'd really like a smaller cat, but am constantly being drawn to the Privilege Series 5. That is a bad ass boat. The FP 47 or Nautitech 541 would be more sensible.

Thanks.
Old 28-02-2017, 17:49   #12

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Attended Strictly Sail on Monday. Some very good seminars. Particularly enjoyed Colin Mack on rigging and the Fred's Shack on dinghy engine maintenance.

We'll be keeping our Manta 40 for the foreseeable future (at least next 4 years), but was extremely impressed by the Privilege 5, the Knysna 50, and the Outremer 5x. The Outremer 51 was in Ft Lauderdale at the time - will take a look next time I'm at Just Catamarans.

There were PLENTY of cats to look at - multiple Lagoons, Leopards, FPs, Saba, XQuisite, Catana, Balance, Seawind, Bali, etc.

Lots of choices from 40ft-60ft range. Interesting to see some of the advancements that have been made and the trade-offs some boats have made between luxury and speed.

Excellent show.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 23:11   #13

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May

Thanks for all the replies and information
Much appreciated.
Old 28-02-2017, 23:32   #14

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Not "officially" Saw a cell phone pic and was told to expect more info April/May. I believe Cannes will be the first opportunity to see both the FP47 and L48.

Biggest let down was L48 will start as a flybridge....was hoping against hope for a Sport top.

FP47 will be at international multihull boat show, LGM this may, official presentation.
Too bad they can't launch both S and L versions of the 48 at the same time, maybe later. Flybridge would have made it fist any day of the week though
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 00:51   #15

Having sailed a L450F owners version for two weeks I understand why that is coming first in the L480 - Its for the charter market. Which is collectively their biggest "client"
The flybridge is great for coastal cruising (if that is what you will be doing mostly and there is nothing wrong with that ) and that is what the charter market uses the yacht for.

Tags
Antares, boat, boat show, miami, miami boat show