Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2014, 21:50   #16

Boat: Steelaway 35
Re: Anyone carry a motorcycle or moped on board?

This is an awesome post! I've had this dream about mounting an articulating swing arm on the the stern of my boat to hold a Honda Trail 90. I want to make it so I could off load on either side of the boat or swing it around to one side to get it out of the way of the boarding ladder for scuba diving....

If I ever work out that design and get it on my boat I'll post some pics! I have other things occupying my time for the year though...so back to mechanical systems for now.
Old 25-03-2014, 02:49   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I think this is the forth thread started about carrying motorcycles on a boat so you may want to check history.

I too was really interested in doing this but after a lot of thought and investigation determined it would be cheaper, way cheaper, to rent a scooter when I wanted one.
Old 25-03-2014, 03:22   #18

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I think this is the forth thread started about carrying motorcycles on a boat so you may want to check history.

I too was really interested in doing this but after a lot of thought and investigation determined it would be cheaper, way cheaper, to rent a scooter when I wanted one.
: thumb:

Way cheaper also to rent a car the two or three times a year I need one.
Old 25-03-2014, 03:54   #19

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
A licence to operate a motor vehicle during a short stay is not generally a problem - most countries will let you travel for a few months on your overseas licence.

What will get you in just about any country you go to is being able to get the bike legally on a road , without importing and paying duty on it and/or having it certified as compliant/safe iaw local regulations.

Once it is deemed road legal, you will then have to worry about things like paying an annual vehicle registration fee and compulsory third party insurance before using it.
Ditto all the above and add that while most countries I believe accept electric bikes below a certain power as unrestricted, in certain countries you could still run into some official who will just make life difficult without some sort of "incentive" to facilitate the paperwork.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-03-2014, 04:33   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a motorized Dahon Mariner, that's motorized with a little Honda four stroke weed eater motor by a kit sold by Stanton Honda GX35 35.8 cc 1.60 hp Four Cycle Outside Drive kit: Staton Inc
To keep it from rusting into dust, nothing beats this Corrosion Technologies

It's a bicycle, I've never been messed with by the legality of it, but it's only been to the Bahamas, so who knows. I think your attitude and how you ride it play greatly into whether you'll be hassled or not.

Bike comes with a bag, you spray it with the corrosion-X and put it in the bag and zip it up, no rust, but you have to use the corrosion-X, there isn't much "marine" about a Dahon Mariner, mostly just the name.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 04:55   #21

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I purchased one of these self-balancing electric cycles last year for my boat bike.
It’s just so fun to ride it’s a
Personal Thrill Ride.

I have been gliding around my town running errands. It will go 12 miles at 12 MPH on one 45 minute full fast charge. It has a light weight LifePO4 battery. The whole unit only weights 20 lbs. This model cost $600, is small and easy to carry.

It took me 1 hour of practice before I could glide down my street

There is another model called an IPS F400 that will go 24 miles at 16 mph on a full charge, but it weighs 29 lbs

We have been using folding bikes as our island transportation for years, but they are just bulky and hard to carry and store. Also you get pretty sweaty riding a bike on hot days on some of the hilly islands we go to.

Just carry it in your dinghy like a briefcase
No gas. No sound. I just charge it off my 460 watt solar panels.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	self balancing electric cycle.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	78063   Click image for larger version

Name:	self balancing electric cycle2.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	78064  

Click image for larger version

Name:	self balancing electric cycle3.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	78065   Click image for larger version

Name:	self balancing electric cycle4.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	78066  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 06:44   #22

We got this model: Folding Moped DIÂ*BLASIÂ*Mod.Â*R7: Folding moped Di Blasi Mod. R7

It's stainless, foldable, 2 stroke. Have had it for four years now without a problem. In some countries it doesn't even need a registration... Imho a bicycle works better, but my other half likes the convenience of a motor.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 10:01   #23

Boat: 36 cross tri

Excellent feedback!!! that air wheel looks amazing... however I would have to see it's compatibility with a six pack of rum punches. (in that case I would think a bicycle might win out)

the bag/corrosion x is basically what I was thinking/wondering about.

the reason I'm thinking such a big bike (250 or 350) is for carrying a passenger and or supplies in hard case bags as well as exploratory camping trips of some distance. I've been racing/riding bikes since I was a wee pup so it's somewhat in my nature, It really a passion for two wheels that drove me to ask this question... I do have family in both the caribbean and all over europe. While I realize I will run into issues that might require "incentives" I think I can handle the paperwork issue...or as I said, just leave the bike on the boat... and take my mountain bike. rather than a folding bike, I will bring a full sized, full suspension mtn bike that I will just take apart and stow while under way. I'll also bring a bob trailer to tow in order to pick up supplies.
Nick Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 11:08   #24

Boat: Simonis 50

We have 2 motorized power boards on our yacht - read more here: REVELATIONS Wiets & Sue cruising the world.

We use them extensively when arriving at destinations where we do not have wheels. To date, we have never picked up any problems with the authorities when riding around. The are fairly light weight, can fold away and we often travel distances of up to 30 kilometers away. Getting these onto the dinghy and ashore is also no problem.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 11:30   #25

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

That wheel thing is cool, can I see a video of you holding two bags of groceries and a gallon container of mlk?

My opinion is an electric bike is the way to go, the hub motors don't even look like they are electric powered, and the batteries can be hidden in the frame,
so no issues with authorities. Aluminum and carbon fiber won't rust.

But this isn't the question asked.
Like 'is milk available?' the answers are 'don't drink milk'.
Can I travel to cuba? Go to the bahamas. Country without extradition?
Stay in the US. Which gasoline engine? Use diesel. Which propane stove? Use electric. etc etc. Which boat? get an RV.
Old 25-03-2014, 11:40   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
We have 2 motorized power boards on our yacht - read more here: REVELATIONS Wiets & Sue cruising the world.

We use them extensively when arriving at destinations where we do not have wheels. To date, we have never picked up any problems with the authorities when riding around. The are fairly light weight, can fold away and we often travel distances of up to 30 kilometers away. Getting these onto the dinghy and ashore is also no problem.
Now that I could use. As opposed to feeling like a right plonker riding one of those single wheels thingies or (GF) a Segway.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 17:13   #27

Boat: caroff Albion

I'm sorry but maybe you should just cycle! I do believe that Nick Skeats designed his wylo to be able to carry his vintage motorcycle though...
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 20:48   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I carry a 49cc scooter. It does about 30mph on the flat, in most places it's classified as a bicycle so licencing and registration isn't an issue,
You can't be in Australia then as most states consider them motorcycles. Victorian laws ensure a fine of over AUD$800.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 01:52   #29

Boat: Ganley 63 Pantera

strongly suggest an electric bike can charge them off the boat electrics usually need no licence in most countries and new battery tech and some of them will go 70 miles at 50 miles an hour.
oldboatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 09:54   #30

I think these would be great to carry on a boat
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...orized-bicycle
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor