Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 09:34   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
So, you're looking at new, now? I can't open your pricing data (requires AOL), but I'm guessing that by the time you have selected your cruising options, commissioning, delivery and getting it outfitted, you're looking at USD 600K.

How close am I?

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:45   #17

Boat: Purchasing a 40-44' Cat
Yep looks like it. And the very limited to no interior pictures has me very suspicious. As a possible buyer it is amazing to me that Catana announce this new 42 yet they have no pictures of the interior!!! What is this going to say about the service. If I was in their shoes... the first thing is to have all of the pictures ready to show on their website! Getting more disappointed by the minute!
Denvermike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:58   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
There are some interior shots on the Catana website: CATANA 42

My "first impressions", not spending lots of time with it:
Undersized winches (looks like all of them need to upgraded at least one size);
Has "wet heads" (shower and toilet in same compartment, therefore the toilet and head area gets wet when showering, that gets real old, real fast and there's no way to keep the TP dry, no matter how clever they try and get about it);
Look like almost all of the personal storage areas (clothes, etc.) are in the berth area, such that you have to crawl on the bed to get to it;
Looks like the galley and nav station layouts are well done -- like the forward facing nav;
I don't like the semi-curved/angled settee (another one of "those things" I don't understand -- almost all cruisers have the next watch sleeping in the salon so they can be close and ready if needed -- ever try and sleep on one of those? Please, nice straight settee with good support for sleeping);
Big, long "windows" in the hull -- boy, these have become popular! But, they are big areas of weakness in the hull, some folks have reported leaks, and you would have large areas where you cannot put a fender -- the fenders will break the window seals, for sure;
Pretty decent SA/D @ 1200 sq ft of sail to 20K light displacement. Will be quick compared to some of the competition (Lagoon 420), but in line with the F-P Lipari. Probably a "very good" sailor with the boards, but probably not an "outstanding" one.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 11:56   #19

Boat: Maine Cat 41
I'm not in the market, so I am not looking nearly as closely as you, but here are a few things that strike me:

If you're looking at Catana, but used rather than new. Similar to new cars, computers, etc, but especially with boats (since they have much smaller production runs), early adopter customers are guinea pigs and get the "benefit" of some crazy ideas. There should be a fair # of use Catanas in your size range that have worked through the crazy ideas, plus they will likely have other things installed that you want (hailer, SSB, watermakers, upgraded electronics, etc)

The good/great things about the Catanas are:
  • Good sailors
  • Good carrying capacity
  • Excellent fridge/freezer capacity
  • Carbon Fiber mast keeps weight low
  • Rain catching hard top
  • Twaron hull material is lightweight but tough

The not so nice/bad things are:
  • Helm stations (IMO)
  • Funky French electrical system
  • Cockpit table may need replacing/refinishing depending on vintage (easily exposed to rain & salt spray)
  • Rear berth "bump outs" give more space, but result in slapping that is really annoying to the berth occupant.
  • W/D (if equipped) is generally something that becomes a storage device (could be used as a Faraday Cage though!)

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 17:12   #20

Boat: Purchasing a 40-44' Cat
Mike you ROCK!! I really appreciate your responce. The 09 Prout I was on had the same "bump outs" and it pounded. Even as a total rookie, when I swam under her, I saw the bumps and said to myself "That don't make sense." And as to "French" and "Electrical Systems".... ahhh no! Bummer. Ahhh the search continues...
Denvermike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 06:44   #21

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Hey there DenverMike.
Have you entertained the idea of getting a good performing, daggerboarded, well designed, well built, made in the good ol US of A, Mainecat 41?
They are in your price range, perform very well, and...well...I'd get one...

...oh yeah and YogaO has one!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catana