Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 11:53   #1

Anyone ever painted their own boat with a spraygun in a yard?

Anyone ever painted their own boat with a spraygun in a yard?

My younger days had me spraying some very large high end aerospace parts because most of the others weren't certified/qualified and they needed it done correctly so I was volunteered. Not my job title BTW
I thought I'd throw that in to keep the "you need to have someone that knows what their doing" posts from happening.
So basically I do most everything or else I'd end up with a big jacked up mess and have to re-do it myself.

I hope my Barbara isn't reading my emails and chimes in here she wants a black boat.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:56   #2

Re: Anyone ever painted their own boat with a spraygun in a yard?

I'm also hoping someone makes a white sandable heavy bodied marine primer.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:10   #3

I did mine in my back yard. Does that count?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I did mine in my back yard. Does that count?
Lucky you!
How did it come out?
What paint and primer did you use?
Old 09-12-2015, 12:33   #5

I used Jotun. It came out pretty good. I'm not a spray painter so it actually came out better than I expected.

Most of the paint manufacturers have products that take you right through the process. Primers, highbuild primers, spray fillers etc.

John McEnroe
Old 09-12-2015, 13:17   #6

Did my old center console in my shop. Used Interlux Brightside and the recommended high build primer. Obviously not outside, but the the process is the same. Do your best to keep the work area shaded and try to pick a windless day to keep dirt out of the paint and you should be fine. One pointer is to choose your paint wisely, the paint I used could not be wet sanded and buffed according to the instructions so I had to be very careful about runs, drips, or dry spray. Overall it turned out good but it was not fun and took many hours of work.

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 13:23   #7

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I painted my boat a 1962 Columbia 29 MkI. I didn't use a sprayer though...
I wanted to use an LPU Linear Poly Urethane paint or "epoxy paint". These types of paint have superior gloss retention and scratch resistance/ hardness when compared to regular polyurethane paints like Interlux Brightsides.

I ended up use Interlux brands Perfection paints. I went with them instead of awlgrip because of the better instructions and customer support. Awlgrip only says its made for professionals and gives very little instruction. When using LPU paints you CANNOT spray them without an expensive makeup air unit. The fumes when sprayed can easily find ways past your respirator and catalyze the paint in your lungs. It is pretty dangerous and best left to the pro's to spray these paints.

However, they are formulated to work very well when applied via roller and roll and tip techniques. I found that using the "roll and roll" technique worked best. By this I mean wetting your foam roller laying on the paint in your small section you're working on, and them going back over it with the now drier roller slowly and knocking down any bubbles or stipple/orange peel. After this you leave it alone and this stuff flows out to a BEAUTIFUL gloss finish. Also when they say you can't apply in sunlight they really really mean it. It will flash off the solvents too quickly and will not flow out smoothly.

Remember lighter colors will hide flaws in the paint and prep much better. Darker colors when a gloss finish tend to magnify and show all the flaws. That being said I did it in Flag Blue and did the proper prep work and wet sanding and it came out beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shear stripe done.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	114593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mcs in the yard.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	114594  

Name:	Beam on in the lift.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	114595  
Old 09-12-2015, 13:24   #8

I have painted many a car restore project first thing in the mourning as the sun comes up.
Very little dust. Wet the ground with a hose.
Old 09-12-2015, 13:25   #9

The new HVLP guns help too.
Old 09-12-2015, 13:32   #10

Boat: Outremer 50S

I think you'll find lots of people here who have painted their own, some spray, some roll and tip, some just roll (or just tip). You've got all the basics; early before the wind comes up but after any dew evaporates, wet the ground, etc.

I think the key part of your question is "in the yard?". In my experience many yards that allow DIY may still forbid spraying. You may have to build protection for surrounding boats, etc., so work it out with your potential yard before your haul.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 13:36   #11

That's pretty amazing appick and very low aberrational deviation distortion in the reflection.
Old 09-12-2015, 14:06   #12

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. It took quite a bit of fairing to get that old hull smooth. I used the white epoxy primer they sell which worked great. I did 4 coats of that after the fairing and wet sanded to 1200grit. I know they weren't that smooth to start with being pulled from a wood mold. All that paint job cost me was a rotator cuff! lol! The way she turned heads was night and day after that. Every where we went, even at our own marina other members were coming up asking if this was our first year there ect. It was our third year just nobody ever looked at us before!

As for HVLP guns they are great to use but still do not use them with LPU paints there is more that a few stories about people trying it. Unfortunately there have been many hospitalizations and deaths from it. IT says all over the can if you don't have a makeup air unit and full suit don't risk it. If you can get as nice of a job as I did without having to build a spray tent why not just roll it.

I also agree early in the morning works best wet the ground, I used soaker hoses, the flat ones to keep the water from spraying up. However I still found it necessary to string up tarps to shade the hull from the slight amount of sun I was getting even the indirect light of the early morning was enough to cause issues with it flowing out. I did 6 coats of color because I screwed up the first 2 pretty good and needed some serious wet sanding to fix it.
Old 09-12-2015, 14:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Bknham View Post
That's pretty amazing appick and very low aberrational deviation distortion in the reflection.
As for the aboriginals I don't see what they have to do with this!
Old 09-12-2015, 14:11   #14

Here we are 2 years after the paint job. This was taken at the end of the season. I'm not the type to wash the hull in the middle of the season either. Once in the spring is more than enough! So dirty paint two years later, it still looks pretty darn good. I believe interlux gives and estimate that it should retain good gloss retention for 10-13 years. Of course it will depend on if you're in a tropical or temperate climate and care of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014 port sheldon to muskegon beam on.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	114597  
Old 09-12-2015, 21:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
I did it in Flag Blue and did the proper prep work and wet sanding and it came out beautiful.
It truly did!

John McEnroe

Tags
paint