Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2021, 06:09   #121

Boat: Excess 11 Catamaran
Re: Anyone sail a Bene Excess cat?

In case anyone following this thread: we just published a Review Video of our Excess 11 "Bombarda" after having sailed her for 3 months and 3000 nm:

https://youtu.be/33ywQEwdLxc
marcok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:43   #122

Boat: Looking now. Proud AP sailer

Subscribed. Why not.
John_char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 16:04   #123

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcok View Post
In case anyone following this thread: we just published a Review Video of our Excess 11 "Bombarda" after having sailed her for 3 months and 3000 nm:

Fantastic. Really appreciate you posting your real world experiences.

It seems you really like the aft steering setup. My fear is that is seems way back, do you have any safety concerns at night and seas? I would think you are mostly on AP anyway, but still, you have to be there when SHTF.

Also, how exposed are you to the sun even with the dodgers they provide?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 00:09   #124

Hi,
Your questions are very a valid, let me comment on them.
Because your standing roughly 50cm above the water line, the motion is much less than on a flybridge/sporttop, so that's benefit and safety pro.

The visibility of the sailed and the surrounding is also much better, including the eye contact with your fellow sailors as you're on the same level. Also docking is (especially in reverse!) is much easier because you can all corners of the boat, really well and you can also help yourself with the lines etc because you're next to the aft cleats.

However you are the back of the boat and this may feel somewhat 'scary' sometimes when you're riding down waves etc.This is partly caused by the noise of the water as you're much closer to it than on most cats. However the sides are high enough and so are the chairs. At night we always clip in if there's just one person awake and outside. I agree it may feel a bit scary in the beginnen but I think that from a safety point of view but type of helm stations are pretty much equal in the end. What we really like in the end is that if 1 person is sailing (day or night), you are in direct contact with your partner. I think that's my main conclusion.

Regarding the shading; that's another valid question. We're now sailing the Med and the sun can be brutal. We didn't go for the steering wheel 'dodgers' ourselves BUT having stepped on an Excess that had them, I must say I would reconsider. If you like the look of the boat with the optional 'dodgers' it's actually not a bad idea and they look pretty cool in real life I noticed. (we stepped on an Excess 11 that had them on the Cannes Boat Show). Also if you go for that option; you will feel 200% secure and there's even more to hold on.

In short; steering wheels in back have so many benefits (lower boom, thus more solar and better sailing), connection with your partner etc I think it's the best option. The only downside is that if you're motoring a lot; a Flybridge would be better but in that case you may want consider a MY version of the Lagoon/FP anyway. Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:53   #125

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:

Because your standing roughly 50cm above the water line, the motion is much less than on a flybridge/sporttop, so that's benefit and safety pro.

The visibility of the sailed and the surrounding is also much better, including the eye contact with your fellow sailors as you're on the same level. Also docking is (especially in reverse!) is much easier because you can all corners of the boat, really well and you can also help yourself with the lines etc because you're next to the aft cleats.

How can you see the other side’s bow - isn’t the cabin in the way?
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 14:15   #126

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:

Nice one, thank you!
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:28   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
How can you see the other side’s bow - isn’t the cabin in the way?
Hey, you can look through the front windows to see the opposite forward bow, you see all 4 corners of the boat.
Old 15-09-2021, 08:31   #128

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:

Thanks. Great Video!
Old 16-10-2021, 05:23   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti View Post
When I look at a Beneteau Excess cat, I see a Lagoon with grey gel coat and outboard helms.

It’s a gray decal. Not gel coat. That entire gray section up top is a decal.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 04:07   #130

Boat: Tartan 40

I stepped on the excess11 at Annapolis boat show this weekend and the helms seem really low. I like the outboard helms but it feels like steering from swim platform almost
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 05:09   #131

Although somewhat of topic;we did replace the standard Excess 11 steering wheels (Pulse Line color) with one size bigger; of the Excess 12. Gives a better feel as well.
Old 20-10-2021, 11:05   #132

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

I have just seen the Excess 11 in person. Standing at the helm is weird, it's just too low and too far aft. I could accept the Nautitec position but this isn't for me. My wife can't even see the bow in front, let alone the other side.
Also the engine hatch is extremly low, they must be fully water tight or the engines will get salt water drips every now and then, let alone any significant weather.

The boat looks great though!
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 19:38   #133

Anyone sail a Bene Excess cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
the engine hatch is extremly low, they must be fully water tight or the engines will get salt water drips every now and then, let alone any significant weather.

The boat looks great though!
It’s a lagoon so none of the hatches are watertight. It’s not a design flaw. That’s how they are meant to work... Just like their bulkheads.

I do agree that they look good.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail