Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2019, 07:40   #1

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93
Anyone succeeded in 4x to 2x bathroom mods to modern production cat?

Has anyone succeeded in converting a modern production ex charter cat 4 berth, 4 bathroom layout to something more practical like 4 berth, 2 bath.
Or even better, 2 head, 2 bath, with the heads seperate from the shower room.

Doors would need to be in companionway, not in bedroom

Idiotic, difficult, etc
But I’m betting someone has succeeded here. Lagoon, Leopard, Bali, FP.

Most google searches show conversions to owner version, a whole different premise
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 12:09   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: Anyone succeeded in 4x to 2x bathroom mods to modern production cat?

This doesn't answer the bathroom scenario, but is a very good discussion of converting a charter cat to a live aboard cruising cat. Note that they spent $110,500 on refit of which only $500 was to convert from a 4 to 2 bedroom. Essentially, they took the cushions out of the berths in front converting one to storage and utility room (added a watermaker, and portable freezer in one bow) and one to a sewing room. I think most 4 bath charter heads are wet heads. All you would really need to do is make up a couple brass plaques that said "head" or "shower".

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...4&action=click
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 05:02   #3

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
This doesn't answer the bathroom scenario, but is a very good discussion of converting a charter cat to a live aboard cruising cat. Note that they spent $110,500 on refit of which only $500 was to convert from a 4 to 2 bedroom. Essentially, they took the cushions out of the berths in front converting one to storage and utility room (added a watermaker, and portable freezer in one bow) and one to a sewing room. I think most 4 bath charter heads are wet heads. All you would really need to do is make up a couple brass plaques that said "head" or "shower".

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...4&action=click
I must still be half asleep; what are the brass plaques for?!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 05:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Met a guy that took the heads out of a Lagoon 41. Should have seen his glass work on the removed thru hulls! Hull was about 6mm thick below waterline and shower pans he were removing were over 12mm solid glass!

Point is, this is a serious project that needs a naval architect to consult. Much of the interior bits are well engineered structure that can't just be ripped out.
Old 14-09-2019, 08:07   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
I must still be half asleep; what are the brass plaques for?!
I think the idea is leave the head in one (w/brass plaque "Head"), and take the head out of the other (with a brass plague "Shower")
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 08:47   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Any boat with 4 washrooms to less than 16 berth would be a large red flag to me. If they have done this I would expect to need to spend $$$ on a conversion, basically having to redesign the boat. Walk on by and find sometjing designed for cruising.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 10:37   #7

I had a 4 head four berth Voyage 430. The new owner converted the starboard head by removing the partition between the two heads and wound up with a nice size head with both a new larger vanity and a larger shower. On a Voyage it appeared to be fairly easy modification and looked very nice as well. It apparently worked well for them as I last heard they had made it OZ after a year in the South Pacific.
Mito430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 11:30   #8

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mito430 View Post
I had a 4 head four berth Voyage 430. The new owner converted the starboard head by removing the partition between the two heads and wound up with a nice size head with both a new larger vanity and a larger shower. On a Voyage it appeared to be fairly easy modification and looked very nice as well. It apparently worked well for them as I last heard they had made it OZ after a year in the South Pacific.
Some friends of ours did the same on a 44ft Fountain Pajot Orana. They had a good look at the three cabin owners version to ensure that they didn't cut out anything structural (yes they had a good engineer look) and then turned the starboard two toilets into one big one by cutting a door between.
What I really admired was what they did to the port forward head, they turned it into a miniature brewery producing a great larger and a brilliant dry cider.
They didn't bother taking out the seacocks, they used the port ones for the new watermaker they installed in the forward (now a workshop) cabin and the starboard ones they just turned off and plugged internally.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 12:49   #9

Our cat is currently a three stateroom, three head owners version. We are leaving just one head with shower, converting the others to closet space in master stateroom and some minor mechanicals in the other. We figure if you don't know the people well enough to share a bathroom with on a trip, maybe they're not the people you should have with you lol.

Figure we are going to just keep the two forward staterooms (queens) and use the other for pantry/storage space (wet locker, linens, etc) as it's closest to our companionway of the three.

We aren't doing any structural work (ie, removing bulkheads, etc) that could compromise the boats integrity
snoozy814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 19:05   #10

Boat: Voyage Norseman 43'

There are only 4 berths.
carlabunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 19:11   #11

Boat: Voyage Norseman 43'

I am SO happy to hear this. We have a Voyage 430 Norseman and plan on doing the exact same thing. My husband is very knowledgable about plumbing, electrical, motors, has learned fiberglass and so many other things. He is a self taught man.
The problem with the heads on the Norsemans is the door doesn't even open all the way as it hits the toilets. it's horrible. The refit is mandatory before I blue water with this boat.
We are also considering putting in composting toilets.

Anyone switch to composting toilets and if so what is your experience and suggestions?
Thanks.
carlabunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 05:44   #12

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlabunga View Post

Anyone switch to composting toilets and if so what is your experience and suggestions?
Thanks.
Carlabunga, this composting head topic often draws out very passionate responses on this forum. One of my first posts on the forum was similar to yours and the result was a long pissing match between people who have experience with composting heads and some some very passionate voices opposed to the concept with an obvious lack of experience in the subject So before the storm starts let me say...

We are glad we chose a composting head on our catamaran. The big pluses to are no smell and very easy to maintain. To be successful with one of these units one must be comfortable with handling the urine bin and the solids bin. Where to dump the bin contents gets lots of discussion. We have found dumping in a way that leaves a clean wake to be a simple matter of social responsibility and courtesy.

For your refit I recommend the composting head be in a space separate from the shower. The composter works by drying out the solids. A splash from the shower would be counterproductive. Also carefully select where the head vent is installed so it is in a location that will not get drenched or tripped over. On our boat the vent is on the outboard hull side covered with a scoop type cowling.

We have visited on a boat with two composting heads, which seemed like a good choice. This gives the opportunity to switch back and forth, giving one and then the other solids bins a couple of days off should significantly stretch out the interval between needing to dump the bins.

Good luck with your refit. I can see lots of opportunities in how to use the space going from 4 heads to 2.

Use google or similar search engine to research past threads on this forum regarding composting heads to find a wealth of discussion about the finer points.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 06:11   #13

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlabunga View Post
I am SO happy to hear this. We have a Voyage 430 Norseman and plan on doing the exact same thing. My husband is very knowledgable about plumbing, electrical, motors, has learned fiberglass and so many other things. He is a self taught man.
The problem with the heads on the Norsemans is the door doesn't even open all the way as it hits the toilets. it's horrible. The refit is mandatory before I blue water with this boat.

Thanks.
Can't help you with the composting head (I don't think any are small), but you could consider switching to a Raritan PHC compact head.That's what I did on our Norseman 430. Smaller bowl and more robust pump than what was installed.

I also blocked it up a little over one inch which allowed it to be moved back (outward) some, too.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote