Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2013, 11:53   #16

Boat: Lightwave 45
Re: ARC 2013

One of the main points I was trying to make is that meaningful comparisons can only be made if the boats are in similar conditions in cruising condition over a period of time.

For instance Gunboat claim that their boats reach over 400M per day occasionally and regularly over 300M, but the owner of the Gunboat 66 stated that these numbers are purely for racing mode and on a trip like the ARC he averages around 240M.

Outremer claim the 49 should regularly do 300M days but in the 2012 ARC a well equipped one averaged around 200M days.

It appears to me that when new boats are designed the company takes it out with no fuel / water / furniture equipped and does tests and polars and then makes statements like xyz boat did regular 300M days, whereas in fact when you equip the boat for cruising and fuel and water it is a very different story.

Where then are potential purchasers to best get accurate info in regards to real performance. I would think that rallies like this would be a good source.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 08:14   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
A Gunboat 66 set a TransPac record of 427 miles/day this year.

That was with a paid racing crew, and they dismasted. A perfect example of a boat pushed too hard.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 08:31   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Hi all

I have always wondered what your money buys you in regard to speed only on the basis of statistical results.

Leaving aside all of the comments (which I am sure will be reiterated again here) about sailing capability of crew, loading, racing or cruising and so on and so forth, surely one can make some statistical conclusions overall no matter how approximate they may be.
Your data set is too small and is totally arbitrary. You can't draw any statistical conclusions whatsoever from your data. You could argue that longer=faster, but that is fact that does not need any support.

You can spend $1mm on a new loaded 40' Hinkley that will struggle to average 140nm/day, or you can spend $300k on a slightly tired 61' Deerfoot that will crank out 200nm/day without breaking a sweat.

Money buys you newness, comfort, and technology, and sometimes those buy you speed but only if specifically designed to do so.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 10:06   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Back in my race car days we said "there is no substitute for cubic inches".

Now I say "there is no substitute for water line length".

Seems true for yachts of all persuasions: one, two or three hulls.

The rest is fine tuning and willingness to pay attention to details and suffer discomfort.

Jim
Old 29-11-2013, 16:53   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

As usual, the ARC is leaving way too early before the trades are well settled. As a matter of fact, over the last three years they had terrible winds or no wind at all.
I have been on Zenyatta (GB 62) just before they left Marmaris for joining the ARC; the averages that they do are ridiculeous. I am checking the weather each day ; there simply is no wind at all. I have seen Zenyetta doing 2 kts in a point in time in a current of 1-1,5 knots behind..
I did my passage in less than 18 days with moderate winds and my spinneaker which was ripped the firt day; if it goes like this Zenyetta can be slower than my Orana..
Secondly, you will see that many boats have gone way out of traditional routes to get a bit of wind. The ones who will guess the wind better and be lucky, will come first.
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 07:00   #21

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
As usual, the ARC is leaving way too early before the trades are well settled. As a matter of fact, over the last three years they had terrible winds or no wind at all.
I have been on Zenyatta (GB 62) just before they left Marmaris for joining the ARC; the averages that they do are ridiculeous. I am checking the weather each day ; there simply is no wind at all. I have seen Zenyetta doing 2 kts in a point in time in a current of 1-1,5 knots behind..
I did my passage in less than 18 days with moderate winds and my spinneaker which was ripped the firt day; if it goes like this Zenyetta can be slower than my Orana..
Secondly, you will see that many boats have gone way out of traditional routes to get a bit of wind. The ones who will guess the wind better and be lucky, will come first.
Cheers
Yeloya
Hey, we did the ARC last year and we called ourselves "becalmed" when the wind dropped below 22 knots.

The first 4 days we averaged 28knots of true wind. No night with squalls into the mid thirsts. Third reef main or no main was our standard sail set. The last two days where "horrible", we had to get full sails up to get our 8 knots speed. We average 7.7 knots for the full trip on a Lagoon 450 "condomaran". Did it in 15 days.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 08:55   #22

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Hi all

I have always wondered what your money buys you in regard to speed only on the basis of statistical results.

Best spent money if you want speed would be to hire Randy Smythe. While you might disagree about Smythe as opposed to Denis Conner or who ever there is no question that if you put me and my homies on a Gunboat and a professional crew on a condomaran the professional crew would win.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:05   #23

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
there is no question that if you put me and my homies on a Gunboat and a professional crew on a condomaran the professional crew would win.
Year!
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc