Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2021, 07:50   #46

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Are all multi hulls so noisy and unpredictable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.j.levy View Post
Anyway, sea was rolling up to 2.5m - 3m waves....interior on this 2 year old cat supper noisy and squeaky for 1m boat, BUT bashes on inner hull from waves almost brought a halt to the movement every odd minute and certainly did not let you sleep. One small thing that bothered me is that you could not predict the movement of the boat to brace yourself. Its like a toast on the water rolling whichever the third or fourth wave chooses.
The noise is normal. Bridge deck slamming comes with the territory. You get used to it. The motion is different and also takes adjustment - I would not call it unpredictable. It's entirely consistent with low L/B. The bigger problem is the common lack of handholds and fiddles.

The real problem is that even if you use twings/barber haulers to improve pointing as the wind and seas get up you HAVE to crack off. Often this means off the wind enough that increased boat speed does not make up for reduced VMG. Owner/customers have to accept that. Hint: carry your own snatch blocks on catamaran deliveries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
To the OP, since you said you were doing a delivery I assume you probably drew a line from your pickup to your dropoff point and sailed (or more likely motored) that regardless of sea state or winds?
I don't think you understand the delivery business or good delivery skippers.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 08:13   #47

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

This post struck a chord with me. I’ve only been on a cat once in my life, and it was tied up to a dock with some wake action going on outside. I was a bit unnerved by the jerky, and yes, unpredictable motion. I’m sure I’d get used to it, especially if someone gave me a nice performance cat, but it sure was different. I also found the windows on the escape hatches ‘interesting’.

That said, I find cats to be very attractive in many ways. Unfortunately, I can’t afford a good one, so I will stick to my very old fashioned, but paid for, mono.
Old 22-11-2021, 08:17   #48
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
By and large much of the bashing is as you said waves hitting the bridge deck. The creaking if from the lack of structure in the boat. Lagoon along with many other manufacturers design their boat for the Charter business. They will never see open oceans. It’s about cost.

The boats hat are made to go offshore have EVERYTHING like cabinets glassed in. That adds to the rigidity of the hull and stops the creaking. It all comes down to what you are using the boat for.

Plenty of Lagoons have and will see open oceans
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 08:18   #49
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Are all multi hulls so noisy and unpredictable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2jones View Post
Sure others have said this by now: cat are noisy and boring to sail. Even if you’re doing 12 knots, it doesn’t feel like it and it’s noisy as hell…the fast the cat the noisier it is underway.

Haven’t found this to be true. The cat we own now is very much a performance cat and by far quieter than our previous cats, even while sailing in the double digits.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 10:04   #50

Boat: Cal 2-46

I have done many offshore miles on various cats none of which were production boats.
They all bang the bridge deck.
They are fantastic at sea. No rolling. And fast.
If I could afford a big cat I would own one.
Peter
Jimmyhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 12:17   #51

I agree with many posters here that mention just falling off a bit or slowing down to around 9 knots to smooth things out. I'm sure anybody could continue to sail a course that beats them and their boat to death. I like Catamarans best, but have no problems with monohulls. like monohulls, not every cat design is a good one either.
ron17571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 12:43   #52

Boat: Windrush Wildfire 7.2m 1978

I agree wholeheartedly with the originator of this thread. Noisy with a weird motion, and most cruising cats don't sail to windward very well, in fact rather shithouse. There are some real hooter though that go like missiles in all directions, but their for racing.
Master56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 13:54   #53

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
You really hit the nail on the head. All catamarans sound like a cacophony of hellish instruments when underway in all but the most perfect conditions. In the past, "perfect" was a 100 year event, but now, due to climate change, perfect days happen about twice a year, which is when catamarans will all sail. Sailing outside of those two days is not recommended.

It should be noted that sailing 2 days a year is an improvement over the old monohull designs which were NEVER used due to their small cockpits which wouldn't allow cocktail parties in any condition at all.
My sailing days are well above that, even Covid hasn’t made it that bad, mine does hobbyhorse in smaller waves but as the waves get bigger I find the sailing and the experience improve, as sailing up and back down the wave, a little slamming at times in smaller waves and but normally on the mid or central engine compartment rather than under the bow, not slamming on the bow leads to the hobbyhorse.
The wife won’t be sailing on a boat where you can’t leave your cup on the deck while heading upwind. 😂
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 13:58   #54

Boat: Voyage 480
Send a message via Skype™ to jerrypeters

One person's opinion/experience. I sailed a Lagoon 42 around the world over three years. It was a profoundly enjoyable experience. I felt safe and comfortable. Yes it's different than my previous monos. Some disadvantages, many advantages. I'll never go back to monos. I'm on my 4th cat.
jerrypeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 15:46   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master56 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with the originator of this thread. Noisy with a weird motion, and most cruising cats don't sail to windward very well, in fact rather shithouse. There are some real hooter though that go like missiles in all directions, but their for racing.
And there are a number that do both well.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 17:51   #56

OMG GUYS! Give it a rest. Bottom line……………….ALL BOATS are a set of compromises. Find the boat that is the best set for you and go for it!

And LEAVE OTHERS ALONE to do the same!
merrydolphin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 21:13   #57

Boat: S&S 40

Welcome to multi hulls.
I sailed 50ft Crowther from OZ to Fiji..beating In to the SE trade..
Your silverware might not fall off the table, that's about the best.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 01:18   #58
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2jones View Post
Sure others have said this by now: cat are noisy and boring to sail. Even if you’re doing 12 knots, it doesn’t feel like it and it’s noisy as hell…the fast the cat the noisier it is underway.
I don't find this at all. I love the acceleration of the boat when you get a gust of wind. Great fun and comfortable. Each to their own
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 07:35   #59

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
My sailing days are well above that, even Covid hasn’t made it that bad, mine does hobbyhorse in smaller waves but as the waves get bigger I find the sailing and the experience improve, as sailing up and back down the wave, a little slamming at times in smaller waves and but normally on the mid or central engine compartment rather than under the bow, not slamming on the bow leads to the hobbyhorse.
The wife won’t be sailing on a boat where you can’t leave your cup on the deck while heading upwind. 😂
I guess I should state, my post was firmly tongue in cheek. I sail my cat all the time and feel safe and good in it.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 15:58   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master56 View Post
rubbish. There are plenty of cruising multis that go to windward at least as well as comparable cruising monos.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull