Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2018, 17:13   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
Artificial Teak

The 2018 range of catamarans shown at this years Sydney Boat Show Leopard, FP, Lagoon, all had artificial teak added to the transom steps and outside area, it looks great on a brand new shiny cat, I really like it however what about long term, lets assume 7 years down the track, will it look scruffy. will the edges start to peel up, I have read it is hot under feet which would be great here in freezing Melbourne. I have real teak on the outside area on my L400 as most of this model have but good old fibre glass every where else, easy to clean use a Gerni power washer if you like. I am interested in my fellow cruiser's opinion putting the cost to one side would you order this as part of a new boat order?
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 18:54   #2

Re: Artificial Teak

It gets really really hot underfoot, a friend has a Catana with this on the rear steps, can't walk barefoot on them at mid day.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 19:13   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

There is a Viking 65 express at our marina that has fake teak on the swim and aft dek. Its all bubbled ans warping. They are having it all replaced with real teak.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 20:08   #4

I'm happy with the NuTeak on my cockpit sole after six years (winters spent in the Bahamas). My previous boat was real teak. Lovely but the maintenance is just too much.

It is hotter than white gelcoat but no hotter than the real teak on my last boat. The NuTeak is quite light in color. That probably helps.

The installer glued it up from tongue-and-groove plastic "boards" after making a paper pattern. Around hatches and the sides the boards are trimmed out like real teak boards at right angles. This makes it look much better than just a big sheet of plastic dropped down.

The only people who think it's not real teak are those who own teak decked boats. Maybe because it doesn't have stains

The color goes all the way through. If a stain does appear (only happened a few times), you sand it with the (fake) grain with 60 grit sand paper. I clean it with deck cleaner and a scrubbing mob like the rest of the non-skid deck gelcoat about four times a year.

Doesn't look any the worse for the wear after six years:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 10.57.25 PM.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	176433  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak