Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2019, 17:02   #61
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: asking price VS realistic price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I’m presently cruising the Med for four months and currently enjoying Greece on a well-equipped, self contained Oyster 53 with new DYS sails.

The three people who offered ridiculous low prices.... aren’t.

This tells me your not in the position that you have to sell and the three people that were making ridiculous offers may be offering market price but you haven’t realized that yet.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 17:07   #62

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
Almost 400 to 293k ??!! That is over 25% .... I am maybe naive. But that sounds like you as a buyer should be offended. That makes this even harder to browse online for the perfect" boat. knowledge is power .
Might be worth talking to brokers. I was discussing with them when looking last time, and told him that I wanted my 250k budget to have some slack in it for repairs, so was really looking at 210-220k to spend at most, so I wasn’t interested in the boats he had listed way above that. He told me absolutely that I should be happily enquiring after boats that were listed around 300k, if I intended spending 210-220k. That’s in NZ and monohulls, YMMV...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 17:42   #63

Boat: Gemini 34'

Every sellers boat is worth exactly what the buyer is willing to pay for it.
sv Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 19:52   #64

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Noodles View Post
Every sellers boat is worth exactly what the buyer is willing to pay for it.
Not really. You have to have a willing buyer and a willing seller before you have a transaction, and therefore a market price.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 22:36   #65

Boat: dream of one

Quote:
I’m presently cruising the Med for four months and currently enjoying Greece on a well-equipped, self contained Oyster 53 with new DYS sails.

The three people who offered ridiculous low prices.... aren’t.
How ridiculously low were the offers compared to your asking price?
axiomoixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 23:06   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomoixa View Post
How ridiculously low were the offers compared to your asking price?
They each had an apparent budget capable of purchasing a 15 year old, well used up 43ft Beneteau... but dreams (delusions) of buying a well-equipped Oyster 53 at the same price.

Offer prices that were not worth serious consideration.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 23:07   #67

Boat: dream of one

Quote:
They each had a stated budget capable of purchasing a 15 year old, well used up 43ft Beneteau... but dreams (delusions) of buying a well-equipped Oyster 53 at the same price.

Offer prices that were not worth serious consideration.
Could you still give a percentage, so I could have a feeling about it, and avoid making the mistake myself.
axiomoixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 23:51   #68
cruiser

Quote:
Could you still give a percentage, so I could have a feeling about it, and avoid making the mistake myself.
I’d rather not. It’s the buyers responsibility to recognize value and condition, then to know what might be acceptable based on equipment.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:04   #69
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:

Around a 15 Year old 53 Beneteau on Yachtworld sits between US$200 to 230K.

Pretty cheeky if they are making offers in that region for a 53' Oyster, even in today's crappy monohull market - although maybe Kenomac is exaggerating a bit on the lowness of the offers?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:57   #70

Boat: O'Day 40

It's never a mistake to make a lowball offer. You don't know what pressures the seller is under to sell and you may get a bargain.
Asking prices are all over the map so you can't define a percentage that you can expect to deduct. I've looked at boats that were in remarkably good condition for much less than similar boats obviously in very bad shape.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:28   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Around a 15 Year old 53 Beneteau on Yachtworld sits between US$200 to 230K.

Pretty cheeky if they are making offers in that region for a 53' Oyster, even in today's crappy monohull market - although maybe Kenomac is exaggerating a bit on the lowness of the offers?

Particularly as he said "a used up Beneteau 43.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:14   #72

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
It's never a mistake to make a lowball offer. You don't know what pressures the seller is under to sell and you may get a bargain.
Asking prices are all over the map so you can't define a percentage that you can expect to deduct. I've looked at boats that were in remarkably good condition for much less than similar boats obviously in very bad shape.
The other side of the coin is the opportunity cost of waiting to buy. As Kenomac noted he is cruising and the lowball buyers are still living on dirt.

I know there are folks who spend lots of time looking for bargains; and sometimes they find them. The question for some folks is would you rather be looking for bargains or sailing away into the sunset.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:16   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
The other side of the coin is the opportunity cost of waiting to buy. As Kenomac noted he is cruising and the lowball buyers are still living on dirt.

I know there are folks who spend lots of time looking for bargains; and sometimes they find them. The question for some folks is would you rather be looking for bargains or sailing away into the sunset.
It's a LOT easier to buy a boat than to sell one. It will be interesting to see how much Kenomac sells his boat for, though I doubt he'll be sharing that information, as he doesn't even want to tell us how much the lowball offers were.

Kenomac doesn't know if those folks bought another boat or not.

On the other hand, Kenomac has two boats, which is certainly better than no boats, and he's covered in multiple hemispheres. And he apparently can do this on 15 Euros per day.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:23   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
It's a LOT easier to buy a boat than to sell one. It will be interesting to see how much Kenomac sells his boat for, though I doubt he'll be sharing that information, as he doesn't even want to tell us how much the lowball offers were.

Kenomac doesn't know if those folks bought another boat or not.

On the other hand, Kenomac has two boats, which is certainly better than no boats, and he's covered in multiple hemispheres. And he apparently can do this on 15 Euros per day.
Kenomac DOES know that all three bottom feeders have not yet purchased anything after 8 months, since all three continue to pester his broker with nonsense.... while he continues to enjoy Italy, Croatia, Montenegro and now Greece on €15 euros per day.

Cheers

Ken
Old 01-07-2019, 12:44   #75

Quote:
Kenomac DOES know that all three bottom feeders have not yet purchased anything after 8 months, since all three continue to pester his broker with nonsense.... while he continues to enjoy Italy, Croatia, Montenegro and now Greece on €15 euros per day.

Cheers

Ken

Kenomac does get around!

Tags
Budget bargain, price