Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 10:47   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Astrea 42 vs Lagoon 42, Comparison from Cannes

I just wonder; is the saloon table the main driver when you are choosing between two cats that cost circa M 400 € ? For a thousand bucks I can make you whatever table you like..
I would be more concerned about the things that one cannot change such as rigging, sail area, structural issues, etc..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 14:19   #32

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Yes you're right of course, but the shoppers of these style of catamaran are more interested in the "condo" part than the "maran" part. They buy on what they can see, the top, exterior 1/8", not what is underneath which is what really matters.

Oh, and the space. Space, otherwise called "comfort", is king. Must have those big showers and cupboard space! Hulls getting fatter & thicker, boats getting heavier, masts getting taller to try and compensate so at least the boat moves once the wind gets over 12 TWS.....that's what the people want so that's what they're getting.

All that technical mumbo jumbo about strength with light weight, & stiffness & light air sailing performance is an intangible for these shoppers.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 18:05   #33

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

I, for one, really appreciated the comparison. It was very useful. We are very interested in the Astrea. Many of us are "cruisers" who spend 90% of the time at anchor, and while we love to sail (I race with my yacht club) for retirement, time at anchor, and comfort are a big consideration. Also, I absolutely love the helm. it is designed very nice for a short woman. I can see all 4 corners, which is better than some boats. I also love working with the sails and lines, and my husband loves helming, so having the winches forward of the wheel, in it's own space is invaluable. We can double hand very easily. And for a bit longer passages, it is very convenient for single handing.

As for sailing, I like sailing a monohull better, but for living aboard at anchor, I prefer the space (particularly outdoor space) on the catamaran.

anyway.. good comparison.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 18:11   #34

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

oops... I forgot the reason for my post... to the original poster.. you listed one of the reasons you liked the Astrea was that it has a "multilevel salon"... from the photos, it appears that it is all one level.. can you clarify.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 21:53   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
oops... I forgot the reason for my post... to the original poster.. you listed one of the reasons you liked the Astrea was that it has a "multilevel salon"... from the photos, it appears that it is all one level.. can you clarify.

Hi Scarlet,
Sorry I didn't express myself clearly. What I meant with multi levels... are the areas behind the sofas and along the windows. Those areas are at various levels, which makes it more cozy and pleasant for the eye. Overall it feels that FP are better at the looks. Maybe the Lagoon are slightly ahead when it comes to quality and finish.

We will charter a FP Helia 44 in April. The boat is a couple of years old, so I am curious to see how it has aged. I think that is a great way of judging the real quality.
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 16:47   #36

While I certainly respect the opinions of many of the members on the forum, I wonder why the need to be critical of the OP?

Yes, these are sail boats. And sailing is an important factor. However, many cruising boats spend the vast majority of their time at anchor or the dock. So layout and comfort are important.

Please show respect to those, like myself, that look at more than just the spirit of sailing.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon