Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2021, 16:40   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Asym spinakers

I have a new to me L380, with one of those above, downwind sails. Hoping here for some guidance on its trim/use. I understand these are generally useful for 20 to 40 degrees or so of direct downwind use. Used it twice in winds of 10 to 12 kts. So, how to trim this sail? Do I try to get the tack and clew about even in height, or is that not pertinent? The port side of the boat allows me to winch on that side, with a couple of well placed blocks and a deck organizer about half way. On the STB side, no such block exists, so I'm using a tricky looking block and cam stopper thing that came with the boat. Of course, this doesn't really allow in use adjustments. TIA. I'm dazed and confused on this.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 20:31   #2

Re: Asym spinakers

Ease it out until it luffs and trim it back in, if cruising go and pour a drink if racing do it again.
If you have the instruments check vmg on various angles to find optimal angles for your boat which will vary a little depending on wind strength boat speed and sea state. For cruising just choose a best fit, for racing write a table.
On the boats I’ve sailed on the clew block stays on the one location unlike jibs and Genoa’s which you can move about a bit
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 08:42   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Asym spinakers

In a nutshell: as large a horizontal distance as possible from tack to clew. And, trim so air flow escapes downward as much as possible.
About right? Yes, we have a speed thru water meter.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote