Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 13:49   #271

Re: Atlantic 57 Catamaran Capsized

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Just wondering: this sounds to me like the capsize was caused by a tornado/waterspout. That would pose a danger no matter what you do given 100kt + wind speeds.
Not just to cat's either. If it can lift water, it can lift things that float on water.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 17:39   #272

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Not just to cat's either. If it can lift water, it can lift things that float on water.
The Atlantic 57 was not lifted from the water, just capsized. Many monohulls have been capsized (to 90º) by violent wind phenomena and rose themselves up after the wind was gone. Only on this thread there are two that experienced that situation with extreme winds.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 17:51   #273
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
The Atlantic 57 was not lifted from the water, just capsized. Many monohulls have been capsized (to 90º) by violent wind phenomena and rose themselves up after the wind was gone. Only on this thread there are two that experienced that situation with extreme winds.

Many monohulls have also sunk to the bottom in much lighter circumstances. Your bias for monohulls does nothing for this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 18:00   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Many monohulls have also sunk to the bottom in much lighter circumstances. Your bias for monohulls does nothing for this thread.
I deal with facts. We were talking about boats capsized by wind alone as it was the case of the Atlantic 57. That's about that we were talking. If you want to discuss what I said be my guest. I was referring directly to the subject of this thread, a sailboat capsized by wind and saying that a cruising monohull is not capsized by wind alone.

I was replying to "44 cruising cat" that was given the idea that a monohull on the same conditions that capsized and turned over the Atlantic 57 would also turn turtle.
Old 29-11-2016, 18:02   #275
smj

Quote:
I deal with facts. We were talking about boats capsized by wind alone as it was the case of the Atlantic 57. That's about that we are talking about.

Yes, this is the multihull forum. We were talking about a catamaran that capsized by wind alone, nothing brought up about a comparison to a monohull.

Old 29-11-2016, 18:14   #276

Quote:
.. We were talking about a catamaran that capsized by wind alone, nothing brought up about a comparison to a monohull.
You can only be kidding

"Originally Posted by poiu
Just wondering: this sounds to me .. That would pose a danger no matter what you do given 100kt + wind speeds
."
Quote:
Not just to cat's either. ...
Old 29-11-2016, 18:18   #277
smj

Quote:
You can only be kidding

"Originally Posted by poiu
Just wondering: this sounds to me like the capsize was caused by a tornado/waterspout. That would pose a danger no matter what you do given 100kt + wind speeds
."

Nothing in either of those posts mention a monohull.

Old 29-11-2016, 18:25   #278

Quote:
Nothing in either of those posts mention a monohull.
Quote:
Not just to cat's either. ...
Yes you are right. Obviously he is talking about trimarans, the other type of boat that can have problems with that.
Old 29-11-2016, 18:27   #279

Quote:
The Atlantic 57 was not lifted from the water, just capsized.
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 18:31   #280
smj

Quote:
Yes you are right. Obviously he is talking about trimarans, the other type of boat that can have problems with that.

Not sure what he was talking about, but if you think a waterspout wouldn't lift a monohull then you are 100% delusional.....or have no experience with waterspouts. I'm guessing delusional?

Old 29-11-2016, 18:33   #281

Quote:
Polux, You are only allowed to discuss how dangerous Multi's are on this forum.

"Geez" get with it.http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lies/peace.gif
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 18:41   #282

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I know of a catamaran that was on a mooring when an 80 knot microburst came through in Kettering, Tas. It flipped , dismasted itself, and dragged its mooring. When it flipped, it damaged an adjacent mono. It was not alone in dragging or damaging other boats., as there were many moorings drug about by their boats, and some who chafed through mooring lines and their remains wound up ashore. In that event, no one was aboard most of the boats, some who sought shelter were crewed. All in all it was a big mess. But, all kinds of boats get moored together in the water, the tris, the cats, and the monos. We all encounter each other out on the water, too.

Speaking only for myself, I do think it's preferable if we can behave friendly to each other both on the water and on CF. I do try to bear it in mind that everybody loves their boat, and does not want someone knocking their choice. But by the time the discussion is down to various types of form stability and static stability, those are issues that apply to all watercraft.....this could even drift to old houseboats! No one will be able to keep this "racially pure" to multihulls only, regardless of forum.

Ann
Old 29-11-2016, 18:52   #283

Interesting discussion but having read the report on wind noise etc from those on the boat it's hard to dream up water spouts which are tornados basically. Obviously it was a strong gust of wind that capsized the boat but I kinda think if I was hit by a tornado that I wouldnt discribe it in the way it was discribed. Water spouts are associated with large CB cells and any half-assed skipper would be very aware that he was sailing in these conditions, it certainly would not be a surprise which was the way it was discribe.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 04:37   #284

Quote:
I deal with facts.

I was replying to "44 cruising cat" that was given the idea that a monohull on the same conditions that capsized and turned over the Atlantic 57 would also turn turtle.

Well here's a fact for you. I never mentioned monohulls in my post.

Actually I think you constantly deal in bias, not facts. You'd post in the multihull forum more often than anyone else, and very close to 100% of these posts are negative in their nature.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 04:55   #285

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Not sure what he was talking about, but if you think a waterspout wouldn't lift a monohull then you are 100% delusional.....or have no experience with waterspouts. I'm guessing delusional?

I doubt a waterspout can lift a mono from the wáter , not imposible but very very unlikely.... i dont know why you guys still going in circles with this no sense multi mono debate, fact is monohulls can recover from a knock when multis found game over between 70 and 90 AVS and i guess some multis can play the game beyond 90 AVS at beam cost , the rest is yadayada ,,,, mono,s sunk and multis not, but i found the latest ironic in some cases....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, leopard, size