Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 13:11   #451

Re: Atlantic 57 Catamaran Capsized

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Why is it that sailors seem to take all this stuff personally and feel a need to constantly support their personal choices instead of having a desire to learn from others??
Beats me. What does a mono sailor expect to learn from the capsize of a catamaran?

I don't expect to learn much from the sinking of a mono. I certainly don't think I have much to contribute to those discussions.

SO when one sinks, I might have a quick read of the cause, and that's pretty much it. I don't feel the need to keep jumping in saying "A cat' wouldn't have sunk". And nor do other cat' owners, it seems.

Yet every time a cat capsizes, you get this crowd of mono guys who seem to feel this desperate need to repeat over and over - "A mono wouldn't have capsized, or if it did it would just pop back up and keep sailing"

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:15   #452

"Why is it that I never see cat owners start a catamaran/mono pissing matches when a mono sinks or is lost?"

That's simple we do not have time, if we are not out cruising in our current choice of boat, we spend the rest of out time pissing on fellow multi hull owners.

No time left to go trolling in the mono threads.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:17   #453
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Atlantic 57 Catamaran Capsized

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:19   #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
"Why is it that I never see cat owners start a catamaran/mono pissing matches when a mono sinks or is lost?"

That's simple we do not have time, .
That's true. I mean they sink a LOT.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:27   #455

"That's true. I mean they sink a LOT."

That is just taking my statement out of context to support an inherent belief.

Very unusual to see that happen on the internet.

Old 04-12-2016, 13:38   #456
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
That's true. I mean they sink a LOT.

Can you prove that? Probably not as the evidence is lost forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:39   #457

I guess my point is that 99% of those on this site have not had a Cat turn turtle so what does their day to day experience contribute to learning how and why and in what conditions it can happen. Just because you own or sail a Cat really doesn't give you more expertise than a mono hull sailor because it's not an experience that you have actually had. I don't spend very much time on Google trying to dig up examples like our friend Polux does so I find some of his due diligence interesting from time to time. There are also Cat sailors who do lots of investigation on the subject and I find some of their comments interesting. I just enjoy learning and I don't care who provides the info but it's not that hard to differentiate the ******** from the scientific info that is thrown around. No matter the sailor, if someone has actually experienced a situation then I value listening and learning from that individual. I've personally done a lot of sailing over the years and I've experienced a lot of situations but I'm a long way from experiencing all of them. That's one of the enjoyable parts of this site as no matter how much you think you know, you still have lots to learn.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:42   #458

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
You can move the traveler outboard and still get some grip in the sails, or just let the sails flog a bit until dinner is done..
Really? You would be inside dining with a sail flogging in 20k wind? I guess it would depend on the sailor, that would never cross my mind and I, for sure, would not be able to be inside eating with a sail flogging.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:51   #459

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Really? You would be inside dining with a sail flogging in 20k wind? I guess it would depend on the sailor, that would never cross my mind and I, for sure, would not be able to be inside eating with a sail flogging.
Haaaa, but the sails in a Multi dont flog like in a Monohull LoL.....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:52   #460

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Sailors have their insecure moments, every time there is an aircraft accident the review board would send out their final reports to all licensed pilots so we could all learn from others mistakes, I say mistakes because in almost all cases the accidents came from mistakes but from time to time it was a structural failure. We didn't give a damn whether it was an aircraft made by the same manufacturer as one we may have owned because we wanted to learn from real world failures. Why is it that sailors seem to take all this stuff personally and feel a need to constantly support their personal choices instead of having a desire to learn from others??
Its only a couple of sailors that take it personally. Some need to define themselves via what they own, or in this case what they sail.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:59   #461
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I guess my point is that 99% of those on this site have not had a Cat turn turtle so what does their day to day experience contribute to learning how and why and in what conditions it can happen. Just because you own or sail a Cat really doesn't give you more expertise than a mono hull sailor because it's not an experience that you have actually had. I don't spend very much time on Google trying to dig up examples like our friend Polux does so I find some of his due diligence interesting from time to time. There are also Cat sailors who do lots of investigation on the subject and I find some of their comments interesting. I just enjoy learning and I don't care who provides the info but it's not that hard to differentiate the ******** from the scientific info that is thrown around. No matter the sailor, if someone has actually experienced a situation then I value listening and learning from that individual. I've personally done a lot of sailing over the years and I've experienced a lot of situations but I'm a long way from experiencing all of them. That's one of the enjoyable parts of this site as no matter how much you think you know, you still have lots to learn.

But we already know the how, why and in what conditions. We've already heard the story from crew and designer, yet it's not enough to please the die hard's like Polux. It's all up to speculation by now for the anti multihuller's.

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 14:03   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
But we already know the how, why and in what conditions. We've already heard the story from crew and designer, yet it's not enough to please the die hard's like Polux. It's all up to speculation by now for the anti multihuller's.

I probably missed it but what was the wind speed that this Cat experienced that caused it to turn turtle??
Old 04-12-2016, 14:05   #463
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Atlantic 57 Catamaran Capsized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Damn.. and there was I thinking that as they eased the sheet a tad they also eased the helm to make life easier for the chef.. no flogging..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 14:12   #464

Multihulls are cool machines and the ultimate party boat, there is so much to like when cruising on one of these boats but they are not the cheap seats. It costs a lot of money to purchase and maintain a mid sized cruising Cat and that alone means that they will always be in the minority compared to monohulls. There is something in human nature that tries to find something wrong with things we can't afford, it's no different than a Benni owner thinking his choice was better than his friend who bought an HR. So it's not a multi mono thing really, it's just a human thing.
Old 04-12-2016, 14:39   #465

robert sailor "So it's not a multi mono thing really"

Ford / Holden (opps when they where built in Australia)
Soccer / Ausie Rules
Rugby League / Rugby Union
Harley Davidson / Japanese

"it's just a human thing."

Truth and sensibility on the internet, where will it end.

"It's truth Jim but not as we know it"
"She can'a take it any more Captain."

Tags
capsize, leopard, size