Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 12:30   #16

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Agility you said you were going with Alwoplast. How come them over Aquidneck. I assume the price is more with Aquidneck. Do you think the boats perform much better if build by Aquidneck compared to being build by Alwoplast. What process did you go through in deciding the Atlantic 57 over other catamarans or even monohauls. Did you charter one or sailed catamarans before or simply had gut feeling? What is the process in building on with Alwoplast. Does Chris White do much and if so what are his responsibilities during the build? Finally what speeds have you read or been told to expect from the Atlantic 57.

Thanks

I look forward to your reply
Rather than post my Aquidneck decision check out Building Agility

My final decision on boats came down the the Chris White and the Catana 50. During sea trials on the Catana we almost hit another boat due to poor visibility at the helm. I just don't like a boat that you have to keep moving to see around. Chris was also sailing that day and literally blew by us in light winds. The next day I sailed the A55 and the difference in feel and sheer fun was enormous. Feather light helm, super responsive to the wind, tremendous visibility... OK I'll stop now.

I read Chris's book on Multihulls, went to Aquidneck to see the yard and decided mostly based on value to go with Alwoplast. Chris stays actively involved in the build process. Inspects the boat numerous times and has always been there for sea trials.

Speeds? I've read several blogs that all talk about over 20 kts. But in low wind 5 - 10 kts we could get 4 - 10 Kts so its a great light wind performer. Also per my previous post, over 200Km's per day on average for most passages.

You can charter a Chris White A57 Alwoplast hull #1 at *** Espiritu Santi ***
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 13:28   #17

Thanks Agility
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 14:49   #18

Boat: L42
Progress?

Hi Agility,

How is your boat coming along? I would love to see some pics. (I am very jealous).

I am also curious, how much headroom does it have in the saloon and the hulls? Also is the engine access seperate from the living quarters? Shaft or saildrive?

Inquiring minds want to know. It is definitely on my short list, and probably at the top. I think I would like to see a hardtop over the aft "Patio" area. That would probably be pretty easy to do. I noticed one on the Alwoplast website that had what looked like a fixed Bimini, but not much detail about it. I've also wondered if it would be hard to have a dodger or windscreen that would be removable on the front cockpit for wet days. basically something that would allow you to open the door and step out without spray or rain from entering the saloon. Just a thought. It will probably evolve some in the next few years before I could even think about building one.

At any rate let us know how the project is coming along.

thanks,
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 16:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Hi Agility,

How is your boat coming along? I would love to see some pics. (I am very jealous).

I am also curious, how much headroom does it have in the saloon and the hulls? Also is the engine access seperate from the living quarters? Shaft or saildrive?

Inquiring minds want to know. It is definitely on my short list, and probably at the top. I think I would like to see a hardtop over the aft "Patio" area. That would probably be pretty easy to do. I noticed one on the Alwoplast website that had what looked like a fixed Bimini, but not much detail about it. I've also wondered if it would be hard to have a dodger or windscreen that would be removable on the front cockpit for wet days. basically something that would allow you to open the door and step out without spray or rain from entering the saloon. Just a thought. It will probably evolve some in the next few years before I could even think about building one.

At any rate let us know how the project is coming along.

thanks,
Check out my blog for progress reports but the hull in enclosed and cabinetry is being put in place. We raised the salon headroom by an inch or so. I'm 6'2" and didn't have any issues with standard height but it's becoming standard to raise it an inch. In the hulls I lowered the floorboard in a few places resulting in plenty of headroom.

We're using saildrives. Given the design, no real choice but after all the negative posts I got very comfortable using the Volvo D-55 engines. We have access from the rear and under the aft stateroom beds. This model has nice insulation and a beefy system so I don't expect much if any engine noise/smell but then again it's under the bed. I suspect it will only be an issue when both aft staterooms are being used simultaneously since we will mostly motor with one engine. Very good access from all around the engine for basic maintenance. We made a few small modification that made it even better.

I didn't love the hardtop on Nogal - hull #3 but I think the owner likes it very much. It bothered me to have the windage although he has a removable canvas. My view is that you spend a lot more time inside since it's so open. The back porch was initially a turnoff based on seeing many commodious back porches on other cat's but again I think folks spend more time in the main salon with the windows open. As for a front bimini, I think Chris has one spec'ed for the new larger cat but it's cleaner and simpler without the added stuff.

The project is on schedule and we should take deliver in May. We are in discussions about showing the boat in Nov at the Miami boat show but not sure yet if we'll bring her to the east coast of the Sea of Cortez.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:59   #20

Boat: L42
Thanks for the info, I am 6'5" so the headroom issue is a concern for me on most boats. My father and I built a cabin on our boat 36 years ago when I was only 14. I was 6'1" at the time and we added 2" to allow me to grow. several years and 4" later I was having to stoop slightly. I can't count the number of times Ive banged my head in rough seas. It has really gotten old after all these years as the boat is still here. Hopefully i am thru growing and in reality am slightly going the other way!

As for the wind-age issue, I would think that if the Bimini where open in the front, or if it was an extension of the cabin it would not really add anything. Similar to the Gunboats design.

It will be interesting to see how the forward cockpit meets your expectations. I suspect it will be as good if not better than you expect. I have been very disappointed in the lack of current information flowing from the current owners of the other Atlantic 57's. For those of us still in the planning stages its really appreciated.

I'm looking forward to reading your progress reports.

Best of Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunboat porch.JPG
Views:	724
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	11589  
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 21:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Thanks for the info, I am 6'5" so the headroom issue is a concern for me on most boats.

I have been very disappointed in the lack of current information flowing from the current owners of the other Atlantic 57's.
I think one of the owners was this tall and he added an extra 1/2" over what I did. Clearly you could do this custom and it would be no extra charge. I think the hulls are plenty high and there is some room to lower.

As for reports from current owners, I'm a little disappointed also. Maybe they are just having too much fun.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:01   #22

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Agilty,

Are you going with Carbon rig and Titanium rails?

Saw Leopard this summer in Block Island, and damn, the rails alone cost more than my boat.

Cheers,
Old 08-12-2009, 06:38   #23

Yes, carbon rig from King Composites. They build a beautiful rig.

Titanium rails? Never heard of that, seems overkill. We're using aluminum.
Old 13-12-2009, 21:16   #24

Boat: Atlantic 57 - Espiritu Santi
Hi All - Owner of Alwoplast Hull #1 Espiritu Santi.. I *HAVE* been having too much fun to be checking the blog regularly, but glad to help Agility answer any questions.. overall i'm very happy with ES.. fire away.. and I am running a few charters in the Sea of Cortez this winter, let me know if you are interested! *** Espiritu Santi ***
EspirituSanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:30   #25

Re: Atlantic 57 vs Gunboat 48

I've heard that the new GB60 will probably be faster than the 66 since it's much lighter -yet with similar sail area. So a comparison between Atlantic 57 v.s. GB 60 would probably end with GB in the lead... Source was quite reliable by the way!
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:18   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
I've heard that the new GB60 will probably be faster than the 66 since it's much lighter -yet with similar sail area. So a comparison between Atlantic 57 v.s. GB 60 would probably end with GB in the lead... Source was quite reliable by the way!
As long as the comparison wasn't based on price, value, comfort, safety, reliability, maintainability, etc.

I get why they are compared but they really are completely different boats for different purposes. Granted, I've not been on a Gunboat in a while but when I see some of the details I kind of cringe. For instance, no cleats on deck, just those O ring things. Again, very beautiful boat and I'd love to sail on one but the gunboat seems more like a boat for a professional crew.

I find the new crop very interesting. I love innovation and see a lot of that in the new designs. Having now had a Chris White for over a year I wonder how all the little decisions about moving this cabinet 1 inch this way and the floor board down one inch that way get's made on a Gunboat when the design so radically changes every couple of years? I'm the kind of guys who constantly says, I wonder if it would have been better this way or that. When I think about things I would change on my A57, I'm almost stumped.

Having said that, Peter has a gift for creating stunning boats and knows how to create excitement.
Old 10-10-2011, 16:34   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

We looked at a GB48 at Annapolis this weekend and just didn't like it. I'm sure it would be great if speed was the main goal, but the interior space wasn't great and the outside space felt enclosed a bit.

My wife and I have chartered on a few Leopards (the 38 and 46) and could see ourselves living on either of those. We just couldn't see it at all on the GB with the way they have it laid out.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 17:47   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
We looked at a GB48 at Annapolis this weekend and just didn't like it. I'm sure it would be great if speed was the main goal, but the interior space wasn't great and the outside space felt enclosed a bit.
Yep, not really designed for cruising. When I was looking they didn't pitch the 48 for cruising, more of a weekend/day cruiser. The new Atlantic 47 is a really interesting new design. From Chris's website - "wouldn't it be great if we could get a large and really livable pilothouse into a smaller cat. And how can we provide the hot performance and features of a fantastic boat like the A57 in a smaller and more affordable package?"
Old 10-10-2011, 17:52   #29

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post

My wife and I have chartered on a few Leopards (the 38 and 46) and could see ourselves living on either of those. We just couldn't see it at all on the GB with the way they have it laid out.
We looked at the Gunboat 48 at the Show as well and I have one complaint for the Gunboat people. Why bring a boat to the show and then ask people to not open any of the cabinets, doors, etc.? Nice boat but that was a big turn off.
Old 30-03-2013, 19:33   #30

Boat: Atlantic Catamaran

We have been living onboard Rocketeer (Atlantic 55 #2) for about 2 years now and are quite comfortable, having added or updated all of the comforts of home....AC, high output water maker, forward cockpit bimini, aft deck benches, teak chairs and table, and all of the stuff that supports full time living onboard. While we can't sail as fast as we did when the boat was stripped down, when it comes to sailing we are the envy of the charter fleet in the BVI, tacking through as little as 90 degrees to windward (with staysail in mild seas), while most of them only sail off the wind, leaving windward work to the iron jennys. Our charter guests find the boat to be quite comfortable and appreciate the cruising range made possible by our speed. I typically single-hand the boat on charters and double-hand on deliveries, and it is a joy to sail. I can't think of much I would like to change about the boat.
millsource is offline   Reply With Quote