Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2023, 16:51   #31

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Aventura Cats, anyone know anything about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selecra11 View Post
Hey FlyingScot,

I went through the whole boat, inch by inch, two days in a row at the cannes yachting festival. It seems quite decent to me. the boat at the show was a 3-year charter boat which was aggressively used, but had little wear and tear compared to most charters. I was pleasantly surprised. the spanish dealer was very well informed about the weaknesses of the boat and was very transparent about it too (mostly issues about additional equipment, like AC - which creates tons of problems with this boat, or the fact that you can't lift any of the storage lids because there's nothing to pull it up with).

The lounge is a big plus if you're at anchor IMHO. Keeping it tidy is no big deal and its a big plus if you have guests visiting you over. It does kill the sailing spirit of a boat and gives the feeling of a lounge, but well, people love it for a good reason (as long as it doesn't sacrifice the solar area, which in the case of AV 37, it does not).

I will take the boat for a test in late October and see how well it performs. I think that's the make it or break it moment. If it does perform well under stress, I'd call this the best budget cat out there today - especially after the ridiculous price hikes of FP, Lagoon and Leopard in the last 3 years.
And did you already test the 37??? Curious about it and a buddy of my has it on his shortlist.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 03:05   #32

No I haven't tried the 44
Selecra11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 10:13   #33

Quote:
No I haven't tried the 44
You wanted to try 37...
Old 19-11-2023, 04:47   #34

I am still unsure whether I can take this across the Pacific in peace. I still haven't been able to get to anyone taking an Aventura across the ocean short handed. Have you heard of anyone?
Old 19-11-2023, 06:07   #35

Quote:
I am still unsure whether I can take this across the Pacific in peace. I still haven't been able to get to anyone taking an Aventura across the ocean short handed. Have you heard of anyone?
No and i would use a proven cat or a serious one off build for doing that. My tip would be a FP Belize 43 or even the 9.5t light FP Bahia 46 or the Leopard 38 which you can get in a good condition for significantly less then a aventura 37. The Belize or Bahia 46 sails significantly better then Leopard or the aventura due to waterlength, small hulls, light and low windage old design focusing on sailing and less a swimming caravan with decoration, so interior volume on 38 is about the same as on the 37 aventura, the Beliza or Bahia would give you even more space. Running costs are slightly more then a 37 aventura but eg rig due to low weight are about the same, the same 30 or 40hp engines....
Pacific is mostly light wind so a light cat is in favour as you can sail where you definitely motor on an aventura...
And if you think that a new boat makes less problems then a proven old one then you are mistaken, sure it need to be checked by a serious and professional surveyor.
Just comparing my 18 years old harken winches on my FP Lavezzi with the new ones on a 1 year old Lagoon...make it short the new are a shiny piece of plastic and thin metal piece of junk compared to sturdy cast old ones which are nearly unbreakable if you service them regularly.
Old 19-11-2023, 18:08   #36

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Comparing the Aventura 37 to the Lagoon 380: More sail area with less beam and less weight. The 380 is a boat with a good safety record, and the Aventura 37 pushes the envelope a bit.

I like the layout options (3 cabin, 3 head is my favourite as one big shower is enough), the interior looks nice with lots of light, and I love how they integrate the lounge without compromising the boom height.

I don't like the short nettted area, the small beam and find the LOA a bit short. I find the separate maneuver & helm stations a bit akward for single handed operation. The bridgedeck is in my view _far_ too low for offshore work, and the engine hatches better be very solid and totally watertight or a wave will swamp it.

I would not choose one for ocean crossings. For pottering around the Med or between Caribbean islands? Why not !
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 14:13   #37

I was at Port Vauban (Antibes, southern France) today and I spotted a 34 feet Aventura. First time I'm seeing one around the vicinity, or any other marina in Cote d'Azur.

Here's the photo. Looked charter to me, thoughts?
https://x.atelier.io/8io