Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 19:29   #1

Boat: Catana 42
[B]Dingy & Motor What's Best for Cruising?[/B]

Hi, looking at new dingy and motor for 42 ft catana and there is so much on the market it is hard to know which is best. Each package seems to have advantages and dis. I thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts..

*Needed to suit couple living aboard so a key piece of equipment for us to purchase.

Interested to hear thoughts and what you would buy if buying again.
Thanks in advance for sharing - really appreciated

Cheers
the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 19:54   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: [B]Dingy & Motor What's Best for Cruising?[/B]

I would be looking at a Spirited Catamarans Ripple Tender around 2.8-3.2m. Very light, strong and dry.

Spirited Designs - Home of the Spirited 380 by Craig Schionning

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 20:37   #3

Boat: Prout 46

If I were you I'd buy the largest and fastest dinghy that will fit on your davits. My wife and I cruised the Caribbean with an 11.5 foot Aquapro aluminum RIB with a 15hp 2 stroke for several years and found it to be adequate EXCEPT it would not plane up 4 people; which is a bummer when you have guests. This time around we bought a 11.5 AB aluminum RIB with an electric start 25hp 2 stroke and have no problem planing up 2 extra people and five dogs.

I think a 20 hp 4 stroke would probably be adequate too (get the electric start, its worth it). We keep a small 3.3 outboard mounted on the dinghy while on the davits for quick deployment or taking the dogs into shore if we are just anchoring for the night. We store the larger outboard in an aft locker and use a Garhauer motor lift to deploy it if we are going to stay for a few days and want to do serious exploring. The nice thing about the Garhauer is one person can easily deploy the outboard in relatively calm waters, and 2 can deploy it in rough water.

In addition we've installed Todd bench seats. These seats allow 4 people to comfortably sit facing forward. In addition, the aft seat provides huge storage for tools, pump, life jackets, start battery, extra anchor, etc., while the forward seat contains a 6 gallon gas tank. These seats are great for water proof storage, keeping the dinghy uncluttered, and with the gas tank mounted amidships, helps with weight and balance.

Go big, Go fast!
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:07   #4

Boat: Crowther 15.2m
Hi I have a 52' cat and have a Sirroco 3.1 Rib with Alum bottom with a Yamaha 15 2 stroke and big wheels on the transom
This is fast and still lite. My wife and l can drag it up the beach and it doesn't weigh the boat down to much.
two fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:07   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I would be looking at a Spirited Catamarans Ripple Tender around 2.8-3.2m. Very light, strong and dry.

Spirited Designs - Home of the Spirited 380 by Craig Schionning

Cheers
I will 2nd the Catamaran Dinghy. They are really fast and can plane four people with a 6hp.

The Ripple Tender as a very nice design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catatude Cat Dinghy1.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	71575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catatude Cat Dinghy2.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	71576  

Name:	Catatude Cat Dinghy3.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	71577  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:08   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If price is no object a 10'06" aluminum bottom AB RIB. A 15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha will be fine for this. AB's seem to be holding up better than most in this neck of the woods.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:43   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

yep, what vasco said, dinghy around 50kg, motor around 24kg, heavy to drag up the beach but do-able. light on the davits and will plane 3-4 people no problem.
Lammina 10 AL
One of these would be nice but will add another 70 or 80 kg. nice luxury ride but not really as practical
Alumina 10 ALX
Ive been tempted by these ones as well. look pretty cool and fun, but again, extra weight so not as practical in the long run
AB Rider
also, how do your davits work. Does the line run to a winch or electric winch, or is it just a 2-1 purchase. That may decide if you can manage more than 100kg, and also the davit specification plays a part. Remember to add 20kg for fuel so think about hauling up over 100kg minimum. You definitely don't want a dinghy too big that it becomes a hassle to drop and lift or take ashore. They are a compromise between speed, capacity, weight, practicality. Also distance between the hulls may determine your maximum length. The first AB one looks pretty good and the fuel tank in the bow locker would be good to keep things neat and secure as well as balancing the load when one up. We had a similar one, but made by highfield for lagoon with a 10hp honda. It was good and reasonably light and planed 3 of us no problem (about 160kg total) but 4 it wouldn;t plane. I would consider going 15hp yamaha 2 stroke and I think it would plane easily with 4 people.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:18   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

This question comes up a lot. We all want a comfortable, big , fast dinky that is easy to pull up on the beach and raise up on the davits with an outboard that will get up on a plane with lots of passengers and several SCUBA tanks while not using much gas and ground tackle that will hold while we are diving or fishing in 50 feet of water and the ability to easily get in after we swim or perhaps fall into the water; and all of this at a price that we can afford. Hope I did not leave anything out.

Bottom line is you will be making compromises. I have a 10ft RIB with a six HP Mercury four stroke, which is the best compromise for me. YMMV
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:04   #9

Boat: Prout 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by two fast View Post
Hi I have a 52' cat and have a Sirroco 3.1 Rib with Alum bottom with a Yamaha 15 2 stroke and big wheels on the transom
This is fast and still lite. My wife and l can drag it up the beach and it doesn't weigh the boat down to much.
I had two dinghys (or is that dinghi for plural) with the large inflatable fold up wheels on the transom. They worked GREAT for rolling the dinghy up the beach and rolling it back in the water. Thats real handy in the PNW where the beaches are rocky and a falling tide could strand you 100 feet from the water.

In addition, when the wheels are rotated in the down and locked position when approaching land, they not only protect the propeller from hitting rocks, they also negate the need to tilt the engine up. The wheels can be easily detached from the transom when cruising areas like the Bahamas where there is little tide and sandy beaches. They look goofy but they sure are a useful addition to your dink.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:20   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If your boat and davit system can support it (which your certainly could) you won't be sorry in going big and fast. We loved our 15Hp Yamaha 2 stroke and 10.6 Rib and were able to plow through the chop and do some exploring of distant areas away from the anchorage.

A Dingy is your SUV to haul groceries and crap around...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:30   #11

Boat: Crowther 15.2m
I fitted NZ beach master folding beach wheels and with these my wife can wheel it down a launching ramp their fantastic and posted to Sydney in 4 days
two fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:40   #12

On our 46' cat we run a 3.5m dive hyperlon Southern Pacific aluminium bottom rib with a 15hp yamaha stroke. Have fitted beachmaster wheels so we can easily wheel up the beach. Great set up that is quite light. Easy to haul up in the davits.
ab1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I will 2nd the Catamaran Dinghy. They are really fast and can plane four people with a 6hp.

The Ripple Tender as a very nice design.
That looks a nice dinghy, but how do you get it onto the davits in a chop, without bashing the crap out of your inner hulls?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:53   #14

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

As has been said, everything is a compromise. Think about weights carefully.

Currently the 15 HP Mercury 2 stroke (The US one, not the JAP one. The US one has gearshift incorp into the throttle twist - One hand operation!! Great for dealing with lines, and coming alongside) is the lightest on the market - either 34 or 36 KG I forget which. We have used one of these for over 10 years, worldwide. Still a current model. Its been great.

Our dingy is a 2.9m Aquapro Alloy RIB (OLD - 13yrs, NZ Made, PVC, battered, but still going strong). It weighs either 34 or 36 KG (I get the weights mixed up!) So total weight with engine is about 70 KG without fuel tank. I reckon that is heavy enough for 2 people in their 50's. Our dink has wheels as well, but next time I'd go for bigger ones!
Old 05-12-2013, 13:05   #15

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
That looks a nice dinghy, but how do you get it onto the davits in a chop, without bashing the crap out of your inner hulls?
I have installed GUNWALE GUARD.
Gunwale Guard Dacron/Foam 3/4Rnd Roll=200'Plt=1000'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GUNWALE GUARD.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	71592  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, motor