Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 15:44   #1

Boat: ex - Tayana 55
Bahamas

Hi All
Starting next year, my wife and I would like to spend a few seasons in the Bahamas. Reason the the Bahamas is that we need to be able to go back and forth regularly to Florida for medical treatment so the short flights suit. Haven't bought the boat yet but looking at a Cat (easier on my wife's back!), around 45 feet.

We want to be able to leave the boat on short notice if necessary but also get back out quickly on our return. Biggest problem is probably cost. I don't want to have to haul the boat (to keep costs down) every time we leave for a couple of weeks. Would prefer to keep it in a marina but can't afford the fees that you see listed ($80+ per day) for a 45' boat and probably more for a cat!

I'd like to hear from any experienced hands who can offer advice. Is it possible to find a longer term mooring/marina spot where we could come back to, tie up and head off (with a friendly local to keep an eye out in our absence)????

Thanks
Magor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19   #2

Boat: Piver Nimble, 30'
Re: Bahamas

You can try finding ST Francis on Exuma. They have a small "marina" and a shuttle to take you to the mainland. There are also mooring fields on Stocking Island that could fit your bill. Daily flights to Miami as well.
twinzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34   #3

Might be posssible to pay somene to watch your boat around Georgetown. I assume you are not leaving it there during Hurricane season. You dont need a 45 ft cat to do the bahamas, but I guess you know that. You might consider building a special "safe" to put all your electronics in while you are gone etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36   #4

Your best bet may be to rent a mooring or a slip for the season and use it as a base of operations. During the winter season (e.g. before April 1), slips could be had for $400-$500 a month in the Abacos. I expect moorings come quite a bit cheaper if you can find one. I would look at Green Turtle Cay and Hopetown. Both have great ferry service to get to the airport.

A cat will definitely reduce your options for a slip.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 14:23   #5

Boat: ex - Tayana 55

Thanks all. Much appreciate the advice
Magor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 14:27   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Isn't this a duplicate to this thread?
Old 01-05-2013, 14:29   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

There's a low-cost secure spot in Nassau area to keep your boat in Coral Harbour. $25 a night or $125 a week. PM me if you want details.

Tags
Bahamas