Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 05:34   #1

Balance 442 - New video/Description Nov. 2020

Looks/sounds like it will be a very well designed boat. Daggerboards are an option for those who want more of a performance cruising cat. Watching this requires some imagination as they are describing changes from inside a larger Balance cat, but I found it interesting.

Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:06   #2

Boat: A55
Re: Balance 442 - New video/Description Nov. 2020

For sure it is. I sailed on the larger model the video refers to, the 526, and was very impressed with the sailing qualities, the overall design and ergonomics, and the build quality. First rate and well thought out boat that isn’t as finicky as perhaps a Gunboat would be.

I doubt there is a better all around cat of that size on the market. The other boat that is appealing in that size range is of course the 45’ Seawind 1370 but I think the Balance is the real deal.
Chrisatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:14   #3

Moving all the winches onto the coach roof weakens the versa helm concept a little bit. Now to adjust a sheet or take in a reef you basically need to open the roof and do it outside. Of course if you are motoring you still have full control in the down position. They said there wasn't enough room in the smaller boats to have the winches down.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisatlantic View Post
For sure it is. I sailed on the larger model the video refers to, the 526, and was very impressed with the sailing qualities, the overall design and ergonomics, and the build quality. First rate and well thought out boat that isn’t as finicky as perhaps a Gunboat would be.

I doubt there is a better all around cat of that size on the market. The other boat that is appealing in that size range is of course the 45’ Seawind 1370 but I think the Balance is the real deal.
With all that said, I wonder if it could be used by true liveaboards. I'm looking forward to touring one in real life but from the marketing I've seen, things appear to be a little spartan over the long haul.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:42   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
With all that said, I wonder if it could be used by true liveaboards. I'm looking forward to touring one in real life but from the marketing I've seen, things appear to be a little spartan over the long haul.

Spartan? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]I wonder what that would make our boat?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Spartan? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]I wonder what that would make our boat?
Sorry, maybe spartan is the wrong word. If you look at a fully appointed condomaran of the same length, it would be much more comfortable from a liveaboard perspective.

Yes, it is a wonderful looking purpose built sailing machine. But I'm not sure it's made to really liveaboard.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:54   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Sorry, maybe spartan is the wrong word. If you look at a fully appointed condomaran of the same length, it would be much more comfortable from a liveaboard perspective.

Yes, it is a wonderful looking purpose built sailing machine. But I'm not sure it's made to really liveaboard.

I think what it boils down to is what one has to have to consider a boat livable, and everyone’s opinion will differ.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 18:19   #8

Quote:

Im genuinely intrigued by what you mean. Is it the exposed fiberglass on the inside?
Old 09-12-2020, 18:43   #9

[QUOTE=If you look at a fully appointed condomaran of the same length, it would be much more comfortable from a liveaboard perspective.

Yes, it is a wonderful looking purpose built sailing machine. But I'm not sure it's made to really liveaboard.[/QUOTE]

There’s no “exposed” fiberglass, it’s all hand faired and painted.

As for livaboardability, hands down way better than most. For example ease of access to systems to do maintenance. You don’t need to rip apart the boat to get to systems or parts. The system components are quality and easily sourced if need be. Layout is very live aboard friendly. Construction methods are superior to a condomaran and will be structurally strong. Your maintenance will be much less over the long haul compared to a condomaran. Plus you’ll get to sail in light winds and/or experience faster passages.

I think it really depends on your definition of liveaboardability. Space is not the only factor.
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 19:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear06 View Post
There’s no “exposed” fiberglass, it’s all hand faired and painted.

As for livaboardability, hands down way better than most. For example ease of access to systems to do maintenance. You don’t need to rip apart the boat to get to systems or parts. The system components are quality and easily sourced if need be. Layout is very live aboard friendly. Construction methods are superior to a condomaran and will be structurally strong. Your maintenance will be much less over the long haul compared to a condomaran. Plus you’ll get to sail in light winds and/or experience faster passages.

I think it really depends on your definition of liveaboardability. Space is not the only factor.
Inadvertently by using plywood bulkheads, Lagoon etc might have made themselves more appealing to those who prefer more wooden feel on the interior?

Anyway, I'm actually really interested in what extra livability features NaClyDog see in condomarans .
Old 10-12-2020, 04:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Anyway, I'm actually really interested in what extra livability features NaClyDog see in condomarans .

What comes to mind for me is the saloon layout / space. Seems just about perfect for sailing and blue water cruising but kind of compact and cramped for a boat that size while living aboard long term. Especially if you are going to be more than just a couple and can't leave that area for whatever reason for an extended period of time.

Yes, this is 100% nitpicking.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:48   #12

Interesting. For sure the leopard with the front lounge has more room to spread out. Lagoon has a larger cockpit. But from the looks of it the saloon seems somewhat comparable on the balance 442. I would guess maybe 10% smaller overall? The table does look more like a square than a nice rectangle. Hulls are much wider on lagoon and leopards.

Leopard has the advantage of that massive flybridge deck as well. You basically have 4 seperate living rooms. Its crazy.