Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2017, 10:50   #1

Balance 526 SV Ondine

If I had an extra $1.4 million (plus associated costs) laying around , I'd bolt for Ondine as listed here: 2015 Balance 526 XP Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I toured this boat in Miami and was most impressed. IMO, "on paper" and to my eye, it screamed outstanding. I'm surprised; offering certainly has my curiosity needle pegged.
ntimbuktu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 16:06   #2

Boat: Aloha 34
Re: Balance 526 SV Ondine

They look a lot like the HH line of Cats. I wonder who copied who?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 17:40   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

What is interesting IMO is that so many of these near custom "fast" catamarans are being sold so soon after being built by the first owners. Search yachtworld for all cats and sort by price and you will see what I mean.

You know who don't sell their cat's? Antaries and St. Francis owners.
Old 15-07-2017, 23:19   #4

Boat: St Francis 50
Balance 526 SV Ondine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
What is interesting IMO is that so many of these near custom "fast" catamarans are being sold so soon after being built by the first owners. Search yachtworld for all cats and sort by price and you will see what I mean.

Here's the latest SF-50 SE one of two launched last week.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2270.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	152003Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2323.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	152004Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	152005Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2144.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	152007
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2161.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	152008  
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 23:46   #5

Opinion on St.Francis.

St Francis Marine SF50 - A boat that can kill
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 00:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Old news. Very old news. And please consider the source as well. Paul has a history of going over the top with the way he tries to resolve things.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 10:18   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
They look a lot like the HH line of Cats. I wonder who copied who?
They both copied the Polynesians
catmancan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 10:35   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

So you're saying your FP is for sale?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 10:42   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Why owners buy/sell fast cats are no different than any other type of cruising boat, mono/multi fast/slow. For some it's on their bucket list, others are looking for a year or two sabbatical, others for as long as health or money hold up, and for some the reality of cruising didn't live up to their dream.

Both Antares and St. Francis enjoy a loyal following and both are nicely built with lovely classic interiors although I wish the SF had higher bridgedeck clearance. Both are also quite old designs and most often one can find one or more examples from both of these low production quality builders for sale on the used market.

Antares started as the PDQ 42 developed and built by PDQ in Ontario in maybe 2001/02. When PDQ went under the molds were purchased and moved to Argentina where they have enjoyed good success. And the current SF started as the SF 48 back in 2004 with a stern modification around 2013/14?

Sadly I believe the owner of Ondine (who is a very knowledgeable sailor) reluctantly is selling due to health reasons, which in my view is no reflection of the boat or builder.
catmancan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 11:12   #10

Quote:
Link doesn't work (or was removed by moderator - why?). Anyway, google search "St Francis Marine SF50 - A boat that can kill" will show correct link.

It's just a different opinion. Yes, story is few years old, but still, it's legit story, people should know about it.
Old 16-07-2017, 11:49   #11

I love the design of the balance 526 ! The versa helm is brilliant ! This cat , for me , is one I wouldn't mind single ✋ handing . The fact that this cat has dagger boards and covered helm puts it in a class that many aren't in . I personally would regret not having dagger boards ! Heck even the fastest mono hull to ever cross the Atlantic , west to east " Comanche" has dagger boards ! What does that tell you ? Gotta have those dagger boards , yes sir ! I'm about ready to break open my �� piggy bank for a fast cat !
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 11:59   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
So you're saying your FP is for sale?
Sure, almost everything is for sale at the right price But I plan on keeping her for another two or three years in the Caribbean. It get's cold here in Michigan in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmancan2 View Post
Why owners buy/sell fast cats are no different than any other type of cruising boat, mono/multi fast/slow. For some it's on their bucket list, others are looking for a year or two sabbatical, others for as long as health or money hold up, and for some the reality of cruising didn't live up to their dream.

Both Antares and St. Francis enjoy a loyal following and both are nicely built with lovely classic interiors although I wish the SF had higher bridgedeck clearance. Both are also quite old designs and most often one can find one or more examples from both of these low production quality builders for sale on the used market.

Antares started as the PDQ 42 developed and built by PDQ in Ontario in maybe 2001/02. When PDQ went under the molds were purchased and moved to Argentina where they have enjoyed good success. And the current SF started as the SF 48 back in 2004 with a stern modification around 2013/14?

Sadly I believe the owner of Ondine (who is a very knowledgeable sailor) reluctantly is selling due to health reasons, which in my view is no reflection of the boat or builder.
I think the SF 50 has the highest bridge deck clearance of any boat in her range that I"ve ever seen. As for why so many of these new designs are being sold, I don't know. It's just an observation but I believe it to be true.

Quote:
Link doesn't work (or was removed by moderator - why?). Anyway, google search "St Francis Marine SF50 - A boat that can kill" will show correct link.

It's just a different opinion. Yes, story is few years old, but still, it's legit story, people should know about it.
That dude was a major @##hole. I don't even think the members of his own catamaran forum like him. He had a similar problem with a previous build of a boat.
Old 16-07-2017, 14:14   #13

Quote:
That dude was a major @##hole. I don't even think the members of his own catamaran forum like him. He had a similar problem with a previous build of a boat.
Well, reading that thread - many guys had agreed with him at least on some points. What I mean - this is another opinion, that's all. There also was strange situation with Hugh Howey's St.Francis 50, it's still not completely clear what happened then.

St.Francis 50 is certainly great boat. But there's customer service, warranty and quality problems which also matter.
Old 16-07-2017, 15:23   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:

History of this forum refusing to acknowledge the world outside it.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 16:34   #15

Quote:
Well, reading that thread - many guys had agreed with him at least on some points. What I mean - this is another opinion, that's all. There also was strange situation with Hugh Howey's St.Francis 50, it's still not completely clear what happened then.

St.Francis 50 is certainly great boat. But there's customer service, warranty and quality problems which also matter.
Apparently the problem with Hugh Howey (a rumor heard second or third hand for what it's worth) is there was a a substantial change in currency values that favored St Francis Marine and there was no consideration for a price adjustment. Take that for what you paid for it. I know if I were in the situation I would be protecting myself with a currency broker to prevent fluctuations from raising the cost.

As for warranty issues, other St Francis owners have reported that St Francis has stepped up right away, so who knows. I know that boat is on my short list. Not so fond of the Balance 526
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote