Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 14:31   #16

Re: Bali 4.0 Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
yep 39 foot.
Non monsoiur, 40 foot.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 18:11   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

11.96 metre is 39 feet 6 inches
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 00:02   #18

"11.96 metre is 39 feet 6 inches" it converts exactly I agree totally.

But you started all this by saying "like many French boats the 4.0 doesn't refer to length, it isnt 40 foot." The implication that many french boats lie about the overall length in the number designation in the there model name.

I could find nothing that did not state 40 foot, I now see that there where posted figures that are ambiguous, the ones I put in post#15, I did not bother to convert the metric to imperial, the original statement was it is not 40 foot and that states 40 foot. I was not looking at the metric length.

So you take my posted 11,960 mm figure divide by 25.4 and come up with 39 feet 6 inches after you have already stated in post #9 "yep 39 foot."

So that leaves me with it is NOT OK in your eyes for the Catana Group to stretch their boat from 39.5 feet to 40 feet, if that is in fact what they have done. It is still a possibility that the imperial figure is correct and the metric wrong.

But you on the other hand are allowed to shrink it from 39.5 feet to 39 feet "yep its 39 feet" to make your point, they are not telling the truth about L.O.A.

I take 40 foot x 12 = 480 inches x 25.4 = 12,192mm So are they under or over stating the length of the boat

Non of this matters a toss, what I asked was where you got your "yep its 39 feet" from thats all, it's that simple. (I will be back in Abell Point in a few days, I guess I could take my 25 meter tape and measure it if I was that concerned)

If you state something as a fact, it's not unreasonable to assume that you have gotten that information from somewhere (not a reference to 44C by the way) all I was trying to find out was where the info you where basing your assertions on came from.

It's 5 O Clock here, the sun is setting over Bowen, I am off to get a drink at Monte's, will check in later.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:55   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Settle petal, all I said is that a lot of boats have a name that doesn't match their length. Thats all.

For example, according to the manufacturer (FP) the Lucia 40 is 38 and a half, the New 47 is 45.8 ft, , The Catana 42 is closer to 41 than 42, the 47 is 46 and no inches, Leopard - again according to published specs, the 40 is closer to 39 than 40, the Leopard 44 is 42 and about a half.

I didn't say it was the end of the world, just that don't presume the name means the length.

I have nothing against French boats generally, Outremers are one of the finest boats out. The Bali 4.0 is too fat, too beamy has a solid foredeck insufficient mainsail area and you cant reach the boom.

It is a Caribbean and Whitsundays charter barge, and it is probably the best boat on the market for that purpose.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 14:43   #20

"Settle petal, all I said is that a lot of boats have a name that doesn't match their length. Thats all."

That would be Mr Petal to you sir I do not know you well enough for me to be comfortable with that level of familiarization.

Hope you still enjoy sailing the Dash 750 Mk II. You obviously do not need me to point out it is not 7.50 meters long but 7.39 meters and to suggest it be called a Dash 739 Mk II just sounds petty and stupid on my part.

The same way you pointing out that the Bali 4.0 was not 40 foot but some other still to be determined length. Just came across intentionally or otherwise as another petty, self serving dig at boat that is not in your sales portfolio at present. Adding nothing to the original posters understanding of the boat.

Which was the whole reason I got unsettled in the first place. Your opinion is just that your opinion and you are entitled to it, I actually even agree with it sometimes. To state an unsubstantiated fact "yep its 39 feet" to back up an opinion, that is a whole other ball game.

Twice I have asked for your source of "yep its 39 feet" and twice you have avoided that. All I wanted to know was where the information that I was unable to uncover was coming from.

I guess when it all boils down it is just another one of those cases of internet FACT OR fiction.

I like many thousands of others around the world will continue cruising in and enjoying our French charter barges (your words not ours), none the wiser.

The view out the back door this morning hope yours is something as nice.

Just one last thing, my particular model of french barge is 10 inches longer than the L450 designation at 45 feet 10 inches or so the French manufacturer alleges on there web site.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran