Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 14:10   #1

Bali Cats

Have been interested in the Bali Open 4.3 and 4.0 since seeing the 4.3 at Annapolis the other year. Since they are so new to the market, I was wondering if anyone has purchased or chartered either of them yet. Interested in how they perform, handle, and livability. Considering chartering in the next year or so but don't want to waste my money if there are major issues in these areas. I wouldn't expect a Catana built yacht to have any sailing performance issues but livability may be another issue and all yachts I've been on have their trade-offs. Thanks for any responses.
Lifes a beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 15:35   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Bali Cats

From what I've read about the Bali, the emphasis is on livability not sailing performance. Maybe Catanas entry into the charter market?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 17:59   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifes a beach View Post
I wouldn't expect a Catana built yacht to have any sailing performance .
It doesn't matter if Ferrari built, if its fat and heavy it will be slow. And it is.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 05:25   #4

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Have been interested in the Bali Open 4.3 and 4.0 since seeing the 4.3 at Annapolis the other year. Since they are so new to the market, I was wondering if anyone has purchased or chartered either of them yet. Interested in how they perform, handle, and livability. Considering chartering in the next year or so but don't want to waste my money if there are major issues in these areas. I wouldn't expect a Catana built yacht to have any sailing performance issues but livability may be another issue and all yachts I've been on have their trade-offs. Thanks for any responses.
I wouldn't expect that even late model Catana's not to have sailing issues (after all they are production boats built these days for a market) so Bali even less likely to be great sailing vessels.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 19:22   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

I think the complete lack of a trampoline and the presence of a full-size stand-up fridge/freezer are clues to the emphasis.
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 22:52   #6

Had a look at them not sure about the exposed position of the Helm. Would hate to be doing offshore cruising in cold wet conditions.
Hot Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 05:31   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... I wouldn't expect a Catana built yacht to have any sailing performance issues but livability may be another issue and all yachts I've been on have their trade-offs. Thanks for any responses.
“... Especially in terms of form and function, the Bali 4.3 — with an emphasis on an open floor plan, the maximum utility of onboard space and plenty of related creature comforts — is a significant departure from its Catana siblings, which -certainly provide cozy accommodations but are also serious sailing machines. Relatively speaking, a Catana is about getting there; the Bali is about being there ...”
Bali 4.3 | Cruising World

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 09:09   #8

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
It doesn't matter if Ferrari built, if its fat and heavy it will be slow. And it is.

May I ask if you have sailed one? Otherwise, the biased criticism of a seawind seller/corsair owner based of nothing more than imagination certainly isn't what was asked here
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 09:16   #9

About the liveability, the doors are a bit tight and the bulkhead low on 4 cabins versions, can't tell in the master cabin, or on the premium finishes.
Old 26-12-2016, 09:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbroTheDude View Post
May I ask if you have sailed one? Otherwise, the biased criticism of a seawind seller/corsair owner based of nothing more than imagination certainly isn't what was asked here

There are some things that require sea trials to verify.

The 4.3 however, is 11.3 tons light displacement, 15.5 tons max - for a 12.6 meter boat with 1.2m draft. And the mainsail is compromised by how high the boom is above the already high helm position.

I don't think there's some secret performance magic that'll overcome that.
Old 26-12-2016, 09:22   #11
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
There are some things that require sea trials to verify.

The 4.3 however, is 11.3 tons light displacement, 15.5 tons max - for a 12.6 meter boat with 1.2m draft. And the mainsail is compromised by how high the boom is above the already high helm position.

I don't think there's some secret performance magic that'll overcome that.

I was thinking the same thing. Always good to sea trial a boat but looking at the specs and using common sense would tell you she won't be a speed demon. Probably very comfortable though.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 09:29   #12

I bet! There's nothing wrong with heavy displacement comfortable catamarans - but I think people need to recognize that you probably don't want to try to sail from Reunion to Durban or Cape Elizabeth, or try to beat to New Caledonia from New Zealand in a Bali.

For the targeted market and intended design - it probably a fine comfortable relaxing motorsailing boat to enjoy the good season in the Med. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 26-12-2016, 14:55   #13

Bali Cats

Indeed it's no Orange II catamaran but repeating the obvious won't bring the argument very far. I was more thinking of the 4.0 which on the paper, and compared to it's direct competition (aka condo catamarans, comfortable at anchor) has greater sail area, shorter mast and lower light displacement than a lagoon 400S2, Lucia 40 or Leopard 40. Considering the reality about light displacements, it still doesn't look like the slower of it's class, which is a fact worth mentioning imho, in a clever comparison

Pretty cool experience nevertheless, consumers only win from those
Old 26-12-2016, 15:23   #14

I thought the Bali 4.0 was more like the size of a Lagoon 380. But a lot heavier.

For me I struggle with the logic of how high the boom is relative to the deck or helm position. How does one secure the sail?

The 380 is proven and sails.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 23:57   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbroTheDude View Post
May I ask if you have sailed one?
Sure have pal. But more importantly I understand the laws of physics. Apparently they are a mystery to some
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote